Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, looking at possibly buying a clean 2005 900 but I recall they were pretty bad when they first came out. Looking for a backup sled to ride when the deep POW riding is scarce for my long track and this thing is a pretty good price. It has 3500 miles on it and supposedly has been super reliable? Is the reliable part even possible on the 900? Thanks.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hey guys, looking at possibly buying a clean 2005 900 but I recall they were pretty bad when they first came out. Looking for a backup sled to ride when the deep POW riding is scarce for my long track and this thing is a pretty good price. It has 3500 miles on it and supposedly has been super reliable? Is the reliable part even possible on the 900? Thanks.
I built a 2005 900 last summer from the crank up. All new updated motor mounts, slp torque arm, dropped a tooth from the top gear, perfect clutch alignment, and put a tss-04 secondary on with a 62/42.36 46-42fp helix that I had team make for me. I sold the sled beginning of last winter. He put about 2k hard miles on it last winter without any issues or blown belts. I did the usual vent mods to get some air under the hood. Mainly by removing the useless storage boxes and installing mesh screen with many 1" drilled holes in the aluminum behind. Keep adding weight until you get 7200 and slide to 7300 with hot pipe. This sled is an animal. and would run 110+ gps on the lake all day. I would build another without any worries. You can do most of this for a few hundred dollars to start if you don't pull the engine but the front mounts are going to be shot. The intake manifold as well. If you can get a good deal and can do your own work its a no brainier really. Lots of power for the money. This is the basic stuff. Lots of other little things need to be checked and done. In tank fuel lines for one. They will probably need to be re glued at some fittings.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You pays your money and takes your chances.
I owned one and put 2500 imles on it. Dealer took it back on a 2006. Was 100 % better. Check the difference. I believe the 06 had more "injectors" and programming was better. Without the motor mount change and the SLP torque arms they were real belt eaters. Seems to me they also had different "injectors" available {I believe, depending on altitude} Been alot of sleds for me since then, but it left a bad taste with mde. And I was a lot more fortunate the many.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
You pays your money and takes your chances.
I owned one and put 2500 imles on it. Dealer took it back on a 2006. Was 100 % better. Check the difference. I believe the 06 had more "injectors" and programming was better. Without the motor mount change and the SLP torque arms they were real belt eaters. Seems to me they also had different "injectors" available {I believe, depending on altitude} Been alot of sleds for me since then, but it left a bad taste with mde. And I was a lot more fortunate the many.
The guys who bought those new were the ones that got really screwed.It took a year or two to straighten those things out.

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
I bought my 05 new. 1 year left over. They cut the price subdatntially and doubled warranty to move these. I never used the warranty. I did get all 5 million uopdates done.

1st thing I notices was how hot underhood temps were. The console would get so hot I'd burn my fingers if I touched it. so first thing I did with just 100 or less miles on the clock was to remove underhood heat. I did as mentioned above. Removed front storage compartments, drilled many holes in the aluminum behind it, and installed perforated sheet aluminum in place of doors. I can take a pic if need be I guess, but if you go to second year of Fusion forum you'll see a ton of info on this, clutching (basically all stock but a different secondary helix) and miscellaneous things.

Biggest thing that caused issues on these, I feel, is the clutch sperating and cutting stator wires. Made thousands of people scratch there heads trying to diagnose inconsistent electrical/running issues. Another is the Champion spark plugs for these are quite peculiar in that they aren't made well and the electrode likes to play hide and see. Literally ! Sled would ru like schit, people would pull plugs to look at them, they'd look fine and be put back in. Well...if you turned them over and shook them once or twice you'd see the electrode disappear and then re-appear magically. Aint that grand ? Took a while for this to catch on, but some still did not catch on to this. LOL. or doh ?

They say the internet killed these sleds, well, this is one of the biggest sled sights, so......almost all the complaints and etch info are here.

Because of the sheer amt of people having so many huge issues, I cannot go out and recommend the sled to anyone.

I can report though, mine is at 10,400 miles or so. :)

I do a lot of maintenance on all my stuff...so that may have helped. :)

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
edited above. Added a little more info.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I got a 05 900 a while ago. It had walker Evan's shocks. It was night and day better than my xlt limited. Took bumps good turned good. I loved the adjusting handlebar position for sit to stand.
I had replaced the pistons after a couple of years and sure enough the pro was cracked. I put the 719 helix in which worked well. Did slip mounts. Never broke a belt. I probably had easy 2000 mi on belt.
Only issue for me is when it's cold I'm not man enough to pull start it when it's really cold

·
Registered
40,007 Posts
Buddy had a red/blk 05 900 fusion, biggest pos polaris ever built. Toward the end of the season that adjustable bar system was flopping and vibrating around so much you'd think you were on some crazy carnival ride with the sled.

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Are there any still alive ? :)

·
Registered
2012 Pro R Switchback
3,913 Posts
Are there any still alive ? :)

saw a 900 RMK at the igloo on Lake of the Woods in Baudette a few weeks ago. We were in the igloo having a drink and laughing as the owner of that RMK literally pulled the rope 30-40 times to get it started. Temps were 25F as well. No excuses! :lol:

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
It was a test to see who’s been following this site + ribbing myself.

<======= look :)

·
Registered
40,007 Posts
Back in 06 when i was in quebec on the north side of lac st jean, there was a polaris dealer in the city of dolbeau when a could our guys bought sleds from them in the past. They had a fleet of 900 fusions that wouldn't run because it was too cold that morning. Aren't sleds designed to run in the winter?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I had both the 05 & 06 model 900. When i drove it off the trailer and into the garage, I said to my wife I WONDER WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO HAVE NEXT YEAR.
The problem was the vibration, as you got more miles on it it got better on the 05
The 06 when new was great on vibration, very little.
I put one of the first fast rear suspensions, AIR ride and handle bar adjustable, Great setup.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The FUSION name had such a bad rep they dropped the name So did the 900 engine. But the 06 was a lot better then the 05. I owned both

·
Vendor
10,073 Posts
Na, still an ass dragger. Feels a ton like an early Procross.
not the same sled but i put a 600 fusion in a local sno-x race and i won 2-3 heats and the final. against kid's on IQR race sleds, etc. i was 42 years old. the sled ran away from the rest. i wouldn't call it a ass dragger. it never bottomed out and i had it 8' in the air.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts