Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Environment Canada's Forecast for Huntsville:

Today: Sunny with cloudy periods. High minus 9.
Tonight: Clear. Increasing cloudiness near midnight with 70 percent chance of snow overnight. Low minus 15.
Thursday: Cloudy. 70 percent chance of snow early in the morning. 40 percent chance of rain showers or wet flurries late in the day. Wind southeast 20 km/h becoming southwest 20 in the morning. High plus 1.
Friday: Periods of rain or snow. Low plus 1. High plus 3.
Saturday: Sunny. Low minus 16. High minus 9.
Sunday: A mix of sun and cloud. Low minus 12. High minus 6.

A bit mild on Friday - but not too bad!!

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
need a good cold snap for the lakes to freeze though.

There's talk here in Ottawa that the Rideau Canal may not even open this year! :frech32:[/b]

They are getting some of that now - thankfully before a lot of snow! It is -16 in Huntsville RIGHT NOW!! with lows of -16 and -12 on the weekend. Without a big blanket of snow - that will make some Ice!!

P.S. Was up on the weekend - the small lakes still had Ice on Saturday.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Red Rocket and Spiderman,

whereabouts in Muskoka do you guys ride?[/b]
Sequin:

Our place is just north of Baysville on the west side of Lake of Bays. The trails there are the Hill and Gully Riders out of Port Sydney. We access the trail system on D102B where it crosses Muskoka Road #2 (Brunel Road) We ride pretty well all directions out of our place. Day rides take us anywhere from Magnetawan, Burke's Falls, around Sand Lake to Kearney, East of Dorset, south over the highway #11 bridge to Bracebridge etc.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Hey Seguin, I start in Peacock Bay at the back end of Lake Vernon, right across from the marina. Du Ya Wanna are my local trails. Generally I ride in any and all directions, we try to go somewhere different each weekend, but like Red, I do like heading towards Sand Lake, but when the snow is good, Parry Sound and area is also enjoyable. I'm minutes to the D trail and approximately 35-45 to Sprucedale. The Seguin is almost exactly 20 miles from my door.

If i'm heading Dorset way, I like to run the lakes preferably as I find the Port Sydney, Baysville area really busy, beautiful trails, but busy.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Hey Seguin, I start in Peacock Bay at the back end of Lake Vernon, right across from the marina. Du Ya Wanna are my local trails. Generally I ride in any and all directions, we try to go somewhere different each weekend, but like Red, I do like heading towards Sand Lake, but when the snow is good, Parry Sound and area is also enjoyable. I'm minutes to the D trail and approximately 35-45 to Sprucedale. The Seguin is almost exactly 20 miles from my door.

If i'm heading Dorset way, I like to run the lakes preferably as I find the Port Sydney, Baysville area really busy, beautiful trails, but busy.

Where are you located?[/b]
Spidey:

Trail question for you:

I frequently make our way home south out of Burk's Falls (forget trail #) down the west side of #11 until I come to the Sequin. At that point I have 2 options to get back to Baysville.

1. I can either head east over #11 and then come south on #95. The hills are nice but can get pretty shitty in the afternoon. Not to mention then I have to come into the top of Deerhurst which can also be pretty bad.

2. I can head west. Previously I have just gone past Sprucedale and down the main D trail through Aspdin and then through the tunnel under Hwy #11 at Port Sydney.

My question to you is: Do you think I should run the secondary Du Ya Wanna Trails west of Hwy #11 and then hook back up with the main D trail west of Lake Vernon?? I am thinking the # 83, 81, 82 trails? Looks like they might be nice and much less busy than the D trail. Keep in mind I LOVE tight twisties. What are these tails like?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

BTW - re: Running the trails heading to Dorset - run the trails from Port Sydney to Baysville to Dorset IN THE MORNING, run D102B-45-D101B or D102B-B-D101B (more wide and fast running). I agree they can get completely Fu$ked on a Saturday afternoon but in the early part of the day they are awesome! Then run the Lakes home.

Oh - no I do not have a photographic memory. You can find an MSR map here: http://www.msrsnowtrails.com/images/map/largeMAP.pdf

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Ah Red, shhhhhh, don't tell people about those trails, I know they're obviously there, but 99% of the time I use them, they are a great set of trails, tighter and twistier, but beautiful, a really nice ride. We take those because even getting back to our place, we can split them yet again and take just trails, or cut across Buck Lake and go around another loop.

i would suggest running that way over the "D" trail any day of the week, the problem is more people are figuring that out doing it, but it is what it is, you won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
484 Posts
stay away those trails are horrible. Yu cant go over 10 miles an hour, lots of traffic, police, and hurricanes................ugh I cant speak about it anymore.................its horrible.....stay east..........

hey spiderman you are two minutes away from me.........im on the other side..............of vernon.........just south of vernon shores..
i

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
:luxhello: :luxhello: :luxhello: :luxhello: :luxhello:

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
Funny that you started this post. I was going to start one saying "Who thinks winters here to stay this time??" or "How long will this cold snap last before we hit +12* again??". :smilielol:

Probably still several weeks out yet (IF it stays cold) which puts us at pretty much the end of the month to get started. :doh:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hey Seguin, I start in Pea____ Bay at the back end of Lake Vernon, right across from the marina. Du Ya Wanna are my local trails. Generally I ride in any and all directions, we try to go somewhere different each weekend, but like Red, I do like heading towards Sand Lake, but when the snow is good, Parry Sound and area is also enjoyable. I'm minutes to the D trail and approximately 35-45 to Sprucedale. The Seguin is almost exactly 20 miles from my door.

Where are you located?[/b]
Clear Lake. The trail (#95 I think) goes right across the lake and hooks up with the Seguin in behind.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts