Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that the 1.075" or 1.150" doesn't seem long enough for the 1" track, is it true?
Has anyone used 1.25" studs in the 1" track, is there enough clearance?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm in the process of installing 1.175 and they appear to be plenty long enough. So much so I'm thinking 1.075 would work just fine. 1.25 would be way too long in my opinion. I have not ridden with studs yet so I can't give you a seat of the pants analysis.

I took a picture of both studs 1.175 and 1.075 in the track (1 stud each) for camparison purposes before I started. I'll be glad to email it to you. Let me know.

If someone wants to reduce the file size and post it here that is fine too. I can't reduce the file size.

·
Registered
720 Posts
E-mail me the picture. [email protected]. I will reduce it and post it.

I wouldn't go any longer than the 1.175". I personally used the 1.075", didn't want to take any chances with that rear cooler.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Dave,

What kind of riding do you do??

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sometimes it depends on the company you are buying from. Woodys measures their studs as the amount after it goes thru the track. Most others measure the whole stud. My sled has 1.5 Fast-tracs on the 1.375 track. These studs were the exact same size as the Woodys 1.45s.

·
Registered
65 Posts
by mistake dealer gave me 1.40 wwhitch he said was equal to1.25 i put in and took around yard and had small scratches in tunnel.so i took out and put 1.25 which he said was equal to 1.175and they hook up great.no problems in 1000 miles.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Originally posted by Dave@Dec 16 2002, 02:48 PM
I'm using a 1.375 pick in a 1 inch track! I have over 250 miles on it. Not a problem!! :)
Does you track ever even touch the ground?

·
Registered
797 Posts
the longer the sutd the more pressure it has on the track. long studs will have a better chance of ripping out of the track. all companys measure the studs the same way. i went with 1.075 and they stick out .34 over the lugs. Dont go longer than 1.175. too much stress on the track

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Hitman,
I would not use the 1.25" in the 1" track. I went through the same dilema when I bought my 01 800 ZR. It seemed that the 1.075's weren't long enough for the 1" lug. I contacted Woody's and they explained their formula to me and it figures out that the 1.075's penetrate about 1/4" - 3/8" on a 1" track. Woody's said they use the 1.175's for endurance testing only. The reason is simple. The longer stud will penetrate too much which will flex much more than the shorter stud therefore putting tremendous stress on the track. If the studs flex you lose traction and studs.
I think this is about how Woody's does their figuring:

Their 1.075" stud is 1.075" tall from the track.
They then add in 1/8" or .125 for the washer.
They then add in a minimal amount for track deflection.

Add all this up and you get over 1/4" of penetration on a 1" track.

I ran my 800 for 3000 miles with 1.075's and they provided plenty of traction and I never tore one out or lost one.

Cat S.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I ride right in Old Forge, Tug Hill, Speculator. I like to do a lot of racing on ice or hard pack. I figure that I' ll go as tall as I can, I am only running 136 picks. She really hooks up!!!!!!! I steal hole shots all the time. Most of the time of you get the hole shot it takes a hell of a sled to catch up. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Originally posted by patriot missile@Dec 16 2002, 05:02 PM
by mistake dealer gave me 1.40 wwhitch he said was equal to1.25 i put in and took around yard and had small scratches in tunnel.so i took out and put 1.25 which he said was equal to 1.175and they hook up great.no problems in 1000 miles.
Ok let me get this straight...you have a 1000 miles on your sled. And here I sit with no snow! You didn't even call to see if I wanted to ride!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the info guys. I going to get one of each studs and measure how much it will penetrate. I think that's the only way I can decide.

Thank again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm using 1.175 Woody's Golddiggers and they work great! However, did anybody use the 102 pattern that utilized the closed window on the track. How did it work? I did and noticed excessive noice, worried me a little. I check everything over real good but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Think there's anything to worry about?

·
Registered
323 Posts
i have 1.075 and they are way long enough woody's they are really long compared to there measurement they account for the thickness of the track and you have to sink them into the track when you put them in......there plenty long

1 - 18 of 18 Posts