Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
VR1 850 129, VR1 650 129
1,616 Posts
where is that video at?
I take BMP’s dyno videos with a grain of salt. Earlier this season they had a 21 840 on the dyno and showed it making 175 hp, we all know the 840 doesn’t make that much power. Then they dyno a 650 that I believe is fully out of breakin with a fair amount of miles on it and it makes less power than the 0 mile shootout sled tested at DTR. Somethings not right here.

·
Registered
417 Posts
61 miles on the sled. 84 mph in 660' soft snow track. beat every 800 and tied a xrs 850 doo. our 800 assault went 86 our doo back country 850 fastest 850 there @ 85 talk of the run was for sure our 650. so yes our clutch kit was for sure better then stock. next is e.t instead of speed. going to be a lot of pissed off people we bet?
I take BMP’s dyno videos with a grain of salt. Earlier this season they had a 21 840 on the dyno and showed it making 175 hp, we all know the 840 doesn’t make that much power. Then they dyno a 650 that I believe is fully out of breakin with a fair amount of miles on it and it makes less power than the 0 mile shootout sled tested at DTR. Somethings not right here.
I have a 2019 Polaris 850 xc. What does your clutch kit include and do you use adjustable weights. My weight is 230lbs

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Yeah they had stock ctech showing damn near 170

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,173 Posts
I know BMP made some good products for the POO 800's.
"MAYBE" their 850 stuff has seen some improvements for 2021? If not I'd like to hear from someone who bought their 850 products and felt they worked great?
I had a 2019 850 out of break in that I put on a brand new BMP Stage 2 kit. "Head, Y-Pipe and Fat Azz Pipe" only to be thoroughly disappointed.
I also had their Torque Link Flash for this kit and tried all their different stinger sizes. (( For me this kit was the worst kit I've ever tried. ))

I used to drink the Kool Aid and watch their Dyno work for the 850. "Never Again."
Would I put any stock into their 650 Dyno numbers... "Absolutely not."

I am liking what I'm hearing about the new 650 and I'm sure Northstar Performance "Rick" is on track to have a good clutch kit for it if he doesn't already?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I know BMP made some good products for the POO 800's.
"MAYBE" their 850 stuff has seen some improvements for 2021? If not I'd like to hear from someone who bought their 850 products and felt they worked great?
I had a 2019 850 out of break in that I put on a brand new BMP Stage 2 kit. "Head, Y-Pipe and Fat Azz Pipe" only to be thoroughly disappointed.
I also had their Torque Link Flash for this kit and tried all their different stinger sizes. (( For me this kit was the worst kit I've ever tried. ))

I used to drink the Kool Aid and watch their Dyno work for the 850. "Never Again."
Would I put any stock into their 650 Dyno numbers... "Absolutely not."

I am liking what I'm hearing about the new 650 and I'm sure Northstar Performance "Rick" is on track to have a good clutch kit for it if he doesn't already?
I know Rick is close to having a kit ready. I talked to him the other day on the phone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2019 Polaris 850 xc. What does your clutch kit include and do you use adjustable weights. My weight is 230lbs
Check outcast out he put a video up of what his kit did to the one in question, his kits are dialed i just put one in my 21 850 i went from 5-6 lenghts back to within 1 due to me having 1.35 him having 1.6, his video is in the 650vs 800 forum!

·
Premium Member
9,024 Posts
You guys might want to report in on your driver and sled weight before worrying about a couple hundred rpms.Driver weight and storage bags or saddlebags full of gear will change the sleds performance 200 rpms easily.Thats the basic reason clutch kits dont work without adjustable weights to get it dialed in for every rider.Dont forget track and studding differences will also have an effect as well as your track adjustment itself.
This is exactly why I offer Dalton adjustables with my Kits.

·
Premium Member
9,024 Posts
Send me a PM. I will set you up with a KILLER kit that you will be grinning ear to ear with.

·
Registered
2021 Polaris VR1 650
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thought I would refresh this thread to see if anyone has any new info on sourcing a clutch kit for a 650.

·
Registered
2021 Polaris VR1 650 137" Blue/Silver Black tunnel Blue rails Mid windshield
306 Posts
I bought but haven't installed Rick's clutch kit. It came with both springs, a helix and bearing. I made my own spring compressor for the secondary. Hoping to see some improvement. Mine spun a couple hundred rpms to high last year. He said this kit will pull it down into the power band.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Polaris VR1 650
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
How did you get a hold of him? I sent him a pm but no response.

·
Registered
306 Posts
How did you get a hold of him? I sent him a pm but no response.
I emailed him and he responded to my questions and put his phone number.
603-662-7370
Seems pretty knowledgeable. Looking forward to trying it out.

·
Registered
2021 Polaris VR1 650
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks

·
Registered
VR1 850 129, VR1 650 129
1,616 Posts
For most of you guys that are trail riders you would be far ahead with just purchasing a good set of adjustable weights, I prefer Dalton’s but to each their own. With the adjustable weights and maybe a couple spring changes, performance gains can be had at less expense than the cost of a out of the can ‘clutch kit’. JMO. I have spent a lot of money on clutch kits when I was at a younger age, when I started doing my own clutching and realizing that I could far surpass the performance of the kits I was spending good money on. But then again clutching isn’t for everyone and a lot of people don’t seem to care about spending money on clutch kits.

·
Vendor
10,542 Posts
best day ever since 2015. sold 100 clutch kits in one day. i've been doing this a very long time. wrench for professional race teams. all venue's. have pro races using our clutch kits? because they plan work. ross martin's father a customer of ours .you would think jack links/ DuPont race team might have been able to help? that's not what they do. a lot of guys don't want to spend the time and money to try and figure this out. and the don't want to adjust anything. just get on and ride. there will always be guys that do there own stuff. and that's fine. the top iron dog team at the time minnick and olstead team #16 that have won this race 5 times. tested everyone's clutch kits. as they were struggling with the newer sleds and the very fast 600 ski-doo's. 16 different kits and the factory race dept. they picked us. and not because ours was out right faster then some. but because these worked without making any adjustments in a wide window. and got better fuel mileage and way less belt heat. we have pro races in grass drags, ice drags, rmr xc, iron dog, cains quest, eastcoast water-x, jackson hole hill climb, jerry rice racing circuit in N.Y., usxc this year, back lake snow drags, etc. using and winning with our clutching. so not just trail riders but racers that just want something that plan works. we spend the money and testing to provide this. we have a whole team of pro races helping with this. very talented people. so when you buy a clutch kit from us it not like the other stuff out there. no dyno testing, no computer generated testing, no fancy charts etc. real world testing in all condition's by racers, trail riders, etc. with a lot of experience. just adjustable weights isn't the answer. i can tell you right now the biggest gains is and always will be the driven helix. most don't want to buy a bunch of these and test them self's. i have spent thousand's on ash tray's ( what we call helixes that don't work) and have cut every imaginal angles there is to test. your average guy is not going to do this.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I bought but haven't installed Rick's clutch kit. It came with both springs, a helix and bearing. I made my own spring compressor for the secondary. Hoping to see some improvement. Mine spun a couple hundred rpms to high last year. He said this kit will pull it down into the power band.

I always chuckle at the guys that rave about their sleds ripping high RPM's well beyond the power curve. Funny how the sound of a high rpm ripping can be a bit of a placebo. Same with when I put a can on and increase my noise factor. Somehow the sound feels more powerful to my brain sometimes. :ROFLMAO: I always enjoy adjustable clutch weights as I find it enjoyable to drag the rpm all around the targetted rpm range. I try it slightly below and then a little above and not always on purpose as I find what weight my sled likes best. Taking the weather and temperature into the equation I like it a 50 to 100 over the targeted rpm on a very crisp cold day. Then on the warmer days when the rpm drops a bit I'm still in the sweet spot. Sharing the same exact weight recipe with someone else doesn't always work if you're the picky guy like me. I've found every sled's engine runs a little different and so does the weight of the rider and the riding style. Take advice with a grain of salt and take the time to do the fine tune weight dialing yourself.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I always chuckle at the guys that rave about their sleds ripping high RPM's well beyond the power curve. Funny how the sound of a high rpm ripping can be a bit of a placebo. Same with when I put a can on and increase my noise factor. Somehow the sound feels more powerful to my brain sometimes. I always enjoy adjustable clutch weights as I find it enjoyable to drag the rpm all around the targetted rpm range. I try it slightly below and then a little above and not always on purpose as I find what weight my sled likes best. Taking the weather and temperature into the equation I like it a 50 to 100 over the targeted rpm on a very crisp cold day. Then on the warmer days when the rpm drops a bit I'm still in the sweet spot. Sharing the same exact weight recipe with someone else doesn't always work if you're the picky guy like me. I've found every sled's engine runs a little different and so does the weight of the rider and the riding style. Take advice with a grain of salt and take the time to do the fine tune weight dialing yourself.
I spent my snowmobile time riding miles. I don't get alot of chances to go so I don't want to spend it finding the right combo. To me it's worth spending a couple hundred to buy a kit. If it dosen't help, so be it. Not out racing so just a little more snap is all I'm looking for. If I really want my sled faster I would put my fat ass on a diet. Every one has their own thing. For me, wrenching on the side of the trail ended with piston changes on my ultra.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I spent my snowmobile time riding miles. I don't get alot of chances to go so I don't want to spend it finding the right combo. To me it's worth spending a couple hundred to buy a kit. If it dosen't help, so be it. Not out racing so just a little more snap is all I'm looking for. If I really want my sled faster I would put my fat ass on a diet. Every one has their own thing. For me, wrenching on the side of the trail ended with piston changes on my ultra.

I absolutely hear you there buddy. I cheat and order the Kit too. The adjustable weight is just an added feature to those who want to fine tune the Kit's performance. Sometimes the fixed weight suits you perfectly. Most times it's actually really dam close so I totally hear what your saying. I go 300lbs dressed and probably a little more with my gear. I tend to try different tracks and gearings too. So I sometimes find the Kit may not always be 100% tested and suited for the guy like me. The adjustable weight allows me to fine tune things a little and if they ever make a good pipe for the 850 the adjustable's will then come in real handy to play with. I don't race either but a doggy drag feel on a warm day kind of pisses me off. Pull a little weight out and let her spin.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts