Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
20 XCR 850, 21 VR1 650, 21 VR1 850
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how our fellow New Yorkers are doing in these troubling times?
Working?
Not working?

My job has been essential until today’s press conference with the governor. There were a lot of nervous people on my job today. Late in the day I did find out that our job was exempt and deemed essential, what a relief it’s a scary time not knowing if your livelihood will be disrupted. I feel great pain for the many that have lost so much this early in this pandemic.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Still working here too. Working from home, but working and getting paid. Fingers crossed that it stays that way through this situation. No doubt that this is a time for all to be concerned.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Working ,essential staff. We’ve been ducking posative tests in my field but it’s only a matter of time I think . Honestly I think I’d rather be out of work. For a couple weeks with or without pay. Idc. Now I’m going in everyday just waiting for the enevatable

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Some of the wealthy ones are coming up here to their 2nd homes a lot earlier than they normally do.
Yes there seems to be a mass migration north.
A lot of the summer homes in the Adirondacks are now full of life. A lot of people trying to escape NYC and downstate.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yes there seems to be a mass migration north.
A lot of the summer homes in the Adirondacks are now full of life. A lot of people trying to escape NYC and downstate.
They're escaping to the Hamptons, Rhode Island and Cape Cod to name a few more. Checkpoints have been ordered at Rhode Island's border for NY tags.

https://www.wpri.com/health/coronavirus/ri-state-police-national-guard-set-up-checkpoint-to-stop-log-travelers-from-ny/

Cape Cod has a large retired population, they'd rather not see any out of staters during this crisis and medical facilities can't handle the inevitable. :cry:

https://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20200320/no-welcome-mat-for-returning-part-time-cape-residents-amid-virus-outbreak

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I am essential so I am working and will be through the end of this mess... I spent a lot of my down time this week cleaning the shop and getting ready to change things over to summer mode.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Not in NY but...
Working on a limited basis here in South Jersey... I am self employed but do not work in the general public and I work alone. I go to a customers home and they generally stay in another room or part of the house while I am there so I have little or no interaction with them other than saying good morning and letting them know I am leaving at the end of the day.
I am finishing up a couple jobs that were started and had to wait for materials (granite for a fireplace) that could not be templated and cut ahead of time. That will be done this week and then I'm taking off.
This is normally my slow time of year and I make most of my revenue between October and March so it will not impact me much financially.
My wife works from home anyway so she is not impacted at all.

On "Visitors" from other areas/states:
We are near the Southern Shore Areas so we have a lot of people from Pa & NY who have secondary homes down there. They have been asked to stay away but judging by license plates my wife reported seeing in grocery and liquor store lots some are not heeding the requests. I'm sure that if things don't get better soon the requests will turn into orders and the Shore Communities will limit access which is easy because they are all on the barrier islands and access is only by bridges.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
here in the catskills they have come in carloads. no regards for us. our county has under 10 cases, and nyc is in the 10s of thousands. our pleading goes unheard. we have no hospital in this county. now our stores are empty. the first weekend the city folks came up and gutted our stores , leaving shit for us. most second homes now have 6-8 cars with plate frames from nyc. i too am essential and doing my best to stay clean. i wish others would think about it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Here in the Pocono Mountains of PA Many County's are border to NY - NJ
These people from these state have vacation homes here and are coming in droves

This has caused most of these County's to be the BIG center of the virus
I'm being told that they are now having check points and turning back people from these states as there are mandatory rules for traveling here

If people would listen stay at home if going to the store keep the recommended distance it would help but it's not the cure but hopeful help:dunno:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am retired and have started to demo the living room and bathroom to keep busy.
Wife is laid off.
Daughter is a teacher, working from home
Son and son in law are lineman and are working, but staggered shifts.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
My issue with that is would they intend to ban me from my property (camp) 15 miles up the road 1/2 miles in the woods with nobody around ? To me that’s even safer for me and others. I go there on days off from my essential job. I can totally see stopping people from state to state or even hotspots to non hotspots or towns.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
My issue with that is would they intend to ban me from my property (camp) 15 miles up the road 1/2 miles in the woods with nobody around ? To me that’s even safer for me and others. I go there on days off from my essential job. I can totally see stopping people from state to state or even hotspots to non hotspots or towns.
The problem is the people who travel from Downstate and Out of State who are not staying at their secondary residence but going out in public shopping, etc.
If they only traveled door to door and didn't get out of their vehicles to get supplies on the way there and back I don't think it would be a problem. When they get out and pump gas enter buildings, use public toilets, etc. is where the problem is and how this is spread.
Same down here but the opposite direction... People from North Jersey and Pa traveling South or to the shore stop and get supplies on the way spreading their germs on everything they touch. We live in Salem County and we had ZERO cases up until last weekend and now we have three confirmed.
I doubt anyone would give you issue being that local...

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There have been a few cases local to me of family’s from downstate checking in to hospitals and testing positive. NY needs to stop the migration of people from the city, west Chester and surrounding areas and make them shelter in place. NY wants to shut everything down, Cuomo should start with stopping people from high infection areas ( NYC-Down State) from freely traveling to wherever.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Still on disability for now here....this lockdown hasnt affected me much, as its a pain in the ass to go anywhere anyway. The mines are all working up here as are the grocery, gas stations,big box stores and hardware stores.. the rest are laid off. only a few cases in my county so far, but more by the day

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
cuomo on last night. dodges any and every idea that we should quarantine the city. you can see he is full of shit by his expression. claiming it's not legal and that the people would never stand for it. the people will have no choice when it spreads everywhere and we have no choice but to stay in. allowing infected folks to travel around is pure stupidity. he gets voted in by nyc only. he loses upstate. so keep the nyc voters happy, and screw upstate.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cuomo on last night. dodges any and every idea that we should quarantine the city. you can see he is full of shit by his expression. claiming it's not legal and that the people would never stand for it. the people will have no choice when it spreads everywhere and we have no choice but to stay in. allowing infected folks to travel around is pure stupidity. he gets voted in by nyc only. he loses upstate. so keep the nyc voters happy, and screw upstate.
You are exactly right when it speeds from downstate migration and becomes prevalent everywhere upstate and in surrounding states then it will be the Trump administrations fault. These good dam liberals do not care about human life they only care about re-election and blaming others.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts