Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a F5 that is very hard to start when it is more than -10 degrees outside. The last two weekends in a row I had to pull the rope between 35 to 50 times to start the machine, once started and warmed up it runs normaly the rest of the day, has anybody else had problems like this and what is the fix? I called my dealer and he told me they have not had anybody complaning about the same problem so they do not know what is wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

·
Registered
173 Posts
yeah I have the same problem up here, but it's been damn cold lately, like averaging -40 with windchill of course so that's pretty normal I'd say, actually I ripped my pull cord this morning, it's been rubbing the chassis I believe and tearing it up, should'a done something before but too late now

·
Registered
696 Posts
We were in -30F this past weekend, and it started fine on full choke. I pulled the rope slowly a couple of times, just to loosen up the motor. Then 1 or 2 hard pulls and it was going. I would say your chokes aren't set correctly. I wouldv'e been dead after 35-50 pulls! :eek:

Not to insult you, but I've seen it before...do you have it on full choke? I've seen people that didn't know there were two positions on the choke lever...just a thought. ^_^

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
choke was set to full choke both times, and I was nearly dead after pulling that many times. Yesterday I had to get my buddy to pull it the last ten times or so!

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Make sure when it's cold that you don't touch the throttle. Other suggestion is to make sure the plugs are ok and you don't have a frozen gas line.

Cat S.

·
Registered
64 Posts
get a little squeese bottle and put some mixed gas in it like 1 teaspoon of oil to about a pint of gas. take out plugs and squirt about a teaspoon full in each cyclinder. beats the heck out of 35 pulls.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Originally posted by kingsnow@Mar 3 2003, 12:39 PM
get a little squeese bottle and put some mixed gas in it like 1 teaspoon of oil to about a pint of gas. take out plugs and squirt about a teaspoon full in each cyclinder. beats the heck out of 35 pulls.
We call that "the old-timer's primer" :lol:
I agree...beats the hell out of all that pulling!!! :wacko:

·
Registered
41 Posts
IN EXTREME CASES YOU CAN POUR HOT WATER OVER THE TOP OF THE CARBS (2-3 OZ)
AS LONG AS YOU RUN THE SLED ENOUGH TO DRY
HAPPENED TO ME A FEW YEARS BACK -39 DEGREES
375 MILES FROM THE TRUCK AND TRAILER
IT STARTED ON THE THIRD PULL

·
Registered
173 Posts
if you don't have these resources such as hot water or gas, then you can turn the clutch a few times to make it a little easier to pull on the cord, I broke mine this mornin' :angry:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yeah ok, since it hasn't been any higher than -30 celsius here since december, I came up with a never-fail solution for warming up my F-5.

#1 without turning the ignition or choke on, pull on the starter cord 5-6 times. The first few time are always the hardest.

#2 NOW you can turn the key and choke on and pull away, it should start in another 3 to 5 pulls. 8-10 when its REALLY cold...

·
Registered
193 Posts
My f5 has never had a problem yet(knock on wood)when cold it starts on second pull.When warmed up first pull.This sled is the shit for a 500.I love it.
B) :p

·
Registered
227 Posts
there is a tiny set screw that controls the plungers on the carbs for the choke...one of mine has fell off and it take all of those pulls to get it going....check it out, it's under the y pipe on a rail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SNODOG would it be possiable for you to post a picture of the location of those set screws so I can check them out. I have not worked on this type of carb before so I'm not sure were you are talking about.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Here's a picture of the screws....circled is the fork that pulls up the plugers in the carb for the choke...the arrow is the screw that came out, take time and look behind the (y) pie and you'll see this ligkage in there....

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
With that screw missing it only lets 1 of the chokes to be pulled up.

They are right behind where the exhaust comes out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts