Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if anyone has figured out how high you can raise the handlebars on the '06 Switchback, without getting cable extensions. I'm 6'3", so I think another inch or two would feel just about perfect standing up, with the bars in the forward positions. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
I read on Snowest that a guy installed a 3" riser on his IQ RMK. He said any longer than that would require hose/cable extensions. I'm sure you could get by with a 2" riser safely. Do it, and then send me pics so I can decide if I want to do it too. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by SuperDave@Oct 6 2005, 10:53 AM
I read on Snowest that a guy installed a 3" riser on his IQ RMK.  He said any longer than that would require hose/cable extensions.  I'm sure you could get by with a 2" riser safely.  Do it, and then send me pics so I can decide if I want to do it too. :)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=912247
[/quote]


I bought a 2" PowerMadd riser for my Switchback and installed it. Below are a couple of pictures of the gap below the bottom of the handlebar cover. There is defintely a gap there, but it's well worth it for the way the sled feels now. With the bars in the farthest forward position, I can stand up straight and hold onto the handlebars with straight arms, which is something I couldn't do without the riser.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Originally posted by Chezhed@Oct 17 2005, 03:50 PM
I bought a 2" PowerMadd riser for my Switchback and installed it.  Below are a couple of pictures of the gap below the bottom of the handlebar cover.  There is defintely a gap there, but it's well worth it for the way the sled feels now.  With the bars in the farthest forward position, I can stand up straight and hold onto the handlebars with straight arms, which is something I couldn't do without the riser.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=935420
[/quote]

Looks good man. Could you do me a favor & snap a pic of it in the #7 position and with the bars turned all the way to the left? Also all the way to the right? I'd like to see the windshield clearance both in front of the bars AND under the bars. I'm planning to add hand guards and want to know if a 1" or 2" riser will give me enough clearance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by SuperDave@Oct 18 2005, 07:54 AM
Looks good man.  Could you do me a favor & snap a pic of it in the #7 position and with the bars turned all the way to the left?  Also all the way to the right?  I'd like to see the windshield clearance both in front of the bars AND under the bars.  I'm planning to add hand guards and want to know if a 1" or 2" riser will give me enough clearance.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=937141
[/quote]

SuperDave, with the 2" riser block and the bars turned completely left or right, it looks like you have about 3 inches of space between the handlebar and the edge of the main windshield. This is measured from the inside edge of the grip to the edge of the windshield, which appears to be the spot with the least amount of clearance. You also have about 2" of space between the brake and the windshield (not that that matters, when installing handguards). You also have plenty of clearance under the bars, so that shouldn't be an issue at all.

Here are a couple of pictures. Sorry for the low quality...I don't have the greatest lighting in my garage, and the low battery light on my camera was flashing, so the pictures didn't turn out the greatest.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Originally posted by Chezhed@Oct 19 2005, 09:59 AM
SuperDave, with the 2" riser block and the bars turned completely left or right, it looks like you have about 3 inches of space between the handlebar and the edge of the main windshield.  This is measured from the inside edge of the grip to the edge of the windshield, which appears to be the spot with the least amount of clearance.  You also have about 2" of space between the brake and the windshield (not that that matters, when installing handguards).  You also have plenty of clearance under the bars, so that shouldn't be an issue at all. 

Here are a couple of pictures.  Sorry for the low quality...I don't have the greatest lighting in my garage, and the low battery light on my camera was flashing, so the pictures didn't turn out the greatest.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=940169
[/quote]

Cool, I think that will work great. I wonder how it would be with a 1" riser. Thanks for the pics, you've answered my questions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by SuperDave@Oct 19 2005, 11:41 AM
Cool, I think that will work great.  I wonder how it would be with a 1" riser.  Thanks for the pics, you've answered my questions.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=940377
[/quote]

JR Graham carries a 1.5" riser as well, so if you can't decide between a 1" and a 2" riser, the 1.5" might be a good option. One thing I noticed when putting the handlebar cover back on after adding the 2" riser, is that the riser is just tall enough that the bottom of the cover does not fit well around the riser block, so the cover deforms a little bit. If you're concerned about it, a little bit of trimming would probably eliminate the problem completely, but it would probably fit much nicer with a 1.5" block, and you'd probably never miss the extra half inch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Originally posted by Chezhed@Oct 19 2005, 02:08 PM
JR Graham carries a 1.5" riser as well, so if you can't decide between a 1" and a 2" riser, the 1.5" might be a good option.  One thing I noticed when putting the handlebar cover back on after adding the 2" riser, is that the riser is just tall enough that the bottom of the cover does not fit well around the riser block, so the cover deforms a little bit.   If you're concerned about it, a little bit of trimming would probably eliminate the problem completely, but it would probably fit much nicer with a 1.5" block, and you'd probably never miss the extra half inch.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=940690
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I can machine my own riser block, so I can make it any height I want. I appreciate the info about the 2" riser interfereing with the cover, and I think you're right, a 1.5" would be just the ticket. Planning some Sporttech or Madd hand guards for extra wind protection. I've been hit in the hand with a stone or two before and that sucks. I don't care if people think I'm a wannabe, handguards plain work!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,175 Posts
i have 2' riser way better than none at all
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Originally posted by Chezhed@Oct 17 2005, 03:50 PM
I bought a 2" PowerMadd riser for my Switchback and installed it.  Below are a couple of pictures of the gap below the bottom of the handlebar cover.  There is defintely a gap there, but it's well worth it for the way the sled feels now.  With the bars in the farthest forward position, I can stand up straight and hold onto the handlebars with straight arms, which is something I couldn't do without the riser.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=935420
[/quote]


Chezhed

With your PowerMadd riser did you have to use the pivit adaptor. My 2" PowerMadd riser will not bolt on without the adaptor. This makes the rise closer to 4". I looked on Dennis Kirk and this seams to be the only option. What did you do. Can I just use the adaptor? The adaptor and block is the setup I used on my 02 800XCSP. I know I don't want that much height added the new Switchback.

RD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Originally posted by rdsmith@Oct 26 2005, 11:52 AM
Chezhed

With your PowerMadd riser did you have to use the pivit adaptor. My 2" PowerMadd riser will not bolt on without the adaptor. This makes the rise closer to 4". I looked on Dennis Kirk and this seams to be the only option. What did you do. Can I just use the adaptor? The adaptor and block is the setup I used on my 02 800XCSP. I know I don't want that much height added the new Switchback.

RD
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=957317
[/quote]

Your new switchback will not require a pivot riser. All you need is a block.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Originally posted by SuperDave@Oct 26 2005, 02:24 PM
Your new switchback will not require a pivot riser.  All you need is a block.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=957717
[/quote]

Not the PowerMadd Block I have. The bolt holes are 1/2" over on each side of the stearing collum
without the adaptor. Like I said, This is the same setup I used on my 02 and the collum is the same size. Guess I need a new block???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Originally posted by rdsmith@Oct 26 2005, 09:22 PM
Not the PowerMadd Block I have. The bolt holes are 1/2" over on each side of the stearing collum
without the adaptor. Like I said, This is the same setup I used on my 02 and the collum is the same size. Guess I need a new block???
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=958894
[/quote]


Just looked in JR Grahm. I have the pivot style riser block. I need the standard block.
Superdave. Did you go with a 2" or 1 1/2" block?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Originally posted by rdsmith@Oct 26 2005, 09:40 PM
Just looked in JR Grahm. I have the pivot style riser block. I need the standard block.
Superdave. Did you go with a 2" or 1 1/2" block?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=958969
[/quote]

Haven't gone with anything yet, but I'm planning to machine my own for a 1 1/2" rise. That will give me enough clearance for the handguards as well as keeping the overall height at a sane level. I don't want any interferences between the cover & block. I'll post a pic or two once I've got the new block on. Might be a couple weeks as I'm busy with other projects right now. Working on making my SB a one-of-a-kind. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
I put a 3 inch rise on mine and I run PowerMadd Handguards. On handlebar Position 5 they interfere with the windshield. I guess I'll have to live with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
I ran a 3" riser block on mine but with the Polaris handguards it hits the windshield in positions 5-7. I run the Flyscreen cold ride but even the low windsheild hits the handguards. Next year I will run the Fly riser set-up so I can have more adjustabilty. By the way I think I could fit the 4" riser without have any cable problems. I'm 6'2" so the height is just about perfect could be an inch higher since the sled seems to work(transfer) better in the #4 position when standing up off trail riding.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top