Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the skiis do not appear to be completely straight when the handle bars appear to be centered. Do I start with adjusting the handle bars or the skiis? My sled has 0 miles and must just not have been dialed in 100%. I can take it back to the dealer, however, it appears as though this it an item I should periodically check. Any suggestions would be great! Please use detail if you have the time. Where to measure, how, toe out!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
With the front end lifted up just before the ski's come off the ground. Line up the handlebars to be perfectly straight. I like to use an inexpensive laser level and lay it alongside the track with the laser shooting up past the ski (You can use a long straight edge as well however I have never found anything in my garage to be perfectly straight). Measure the distance at equal points on the ski in front and behind the spindle (I like to use the point where the carbide bolts onto the ski). Use the a-arm adjusters to make the measurements equal (The a-arms have left hand and right hand threads so you can just loosen the lock nuts and turn the shaft. Then do the other ski the same way. When you are finished check the distance between the ski's at those same points and verify that you have 0 to .25" toe out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You could have the bars set straight and the sled may even go straight when you let go, however if you have toe in or excessive toe out you can get a darting on hardpack or ice and the sled will not be very easy to handle at speed. In powder you probably will not notice this. Remember each ski is cutting a path and wants to track in that direction. If each ski wants to go in a different direction only one can win out and you will dart in that direction depending on the terrain. Setting the rod that goes to the handle bars is secondary to making sure that each ski is in line with the track and that between the 2 skis you have 0 to .25" toe out. After you have the ski's set you can line up the handlebars with the ski's.

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
Also put VERY LIGHT pressure on the front of the skis to take out any slop before you adjust the toe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts