Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught this on OC.com.

Taken @ 9:00am this moring January 08, 2007 Kennisis Lake Marina in Haliburton. I wonder what the forest will be like? If I could get 50 miles in just to get the edge off, I would do the drive. I will get ready to go on Wednesday night....just in case. The forecast looks good up to Thursday then warms up on Friday. Anyone else in?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
This is a start!

But I was up on Saturday and the amount of water laying around is unreal. We really do need some really good cold nights to get things hardened up or it will be a mess![/b]
its going to be very cold for the next day or 2.... that should help :div20:

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
its going to be very cold for the next day or 2.... that should help :div20:[/b]
Hopefully we do get the cold - we really need it!

Now - if the cold can come and then have the relatively warm water in the Lakes produce a truck load of lake effect snow and squalls we can all stop from going insane!!

FROM ENVIRONMENT CANADA!!

Huntsville - Baysville
3:49 PM EST Monday 8 January 2007
Snowsquall warning for
Huntsville - Baysville issued

Snow squalls gradually developing in the snow belts..

This is a warning that snowsqualls are imminent or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements.

Strong westerly winds in the wake of an intensifying disturbance over Québec is allowing more winterlike weather to return to Ontario. The brisk winds are ushering in colder more seasonable air which is creating instability over the relatively warm waters of Lake Huron and Georgian Bay. As a result..Some flurries have developed today with a few centimetres already reported over some of the higher terrain of the Dundalk Highlands. Elsewhere..The mercury is just above the freezing mark which allowed most fresh snow to melt on contact.

As slightly colder air begins to settle in tonight..Flurries will become more prevalent in parts of ski country. The greatest chance for appreciable snow is in the Parry Sound and Muskoka areas where a pronounced band of snow squalls appears likely to develop later this evening or overnight. Upwards of 10 to locally 15 cm is possible by morning. Flurries will still give some local lighter amounts in other portions of ski country but slightly drier air arriving from Michigan will tend to diminish their intensity.

There is finally some good news for the beleaguered ski resorts on Tuesday and Tuesday night. Even colder air will be arriving which should set the stage for a more significant lake effect snow event. The heavy band through the Parry Sound district should migrate south on Tuesday and affect regions in and around Barrie and Orillia. Also..Snow squalls should become quite intense for some regions east of Lake Huron..Especially around the Bruce Peninsula. Significant snow totals of 20 to 30 centimetres or more are likely in some of these areas Tuesday and Tuesday night.

In addition..Strong westerly winds of 60 with local gusts to near 90 km/h are likely in southern Niagara and Prince Edward county early this evening..After which the winds will begin to ease off.

Travellers should exercise extreme caution through this period due to rapid weather changes due to snow squalls and local blowing snow.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
how many passes they giving out and how much snow is expected by the weekend think it will be ok riding?[/b]
IF its open, the riding will be very poor to marginal at best. they just got 8cm... hardly enough for good riding, and with all the people itching to ride it will make it worse.

I'm sure they would be in there for the next couple of ays with snow an below -15 temps at night. As long as this warm front stays as south as possible the winter can start to set up properly.

everyone should be doing their snow dance right now. This is make it or break it time for the whole province...

ontario tourism has postponed their winter campaign and may not even launch it...

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I just reserved all the passes for Saturday in the forest so don"t bother,stay home,don"t waste you time, it"s not worth it,too expensive, no fun,the snow is melting,the wolves are howling,the restaurant ran out of food :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease: :wut60: :wut60: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I just reserved all the passes for Saturday in the forest so don"t bother,stay home,don"t waste you time, it"s not worth it,too expensive, no fun,the snow is melting,the wolves are howling,the restaurant ran out of food :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease: :wut60: :wut60: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:[/b]
YOU BASTARD!!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yea it's starting to look like Thursday may have to be a vacation day to go to HALI forest. I havent ridden my new REV and am just jonsen!!!! :div20: :fluffy: :banana:

RXwonder you may see a red rev, blue rev and a black F7, if my buddies walk what they talk. Hope for tonnes of lake effect snow for the area.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
a sled dude aka Killer

Finally figure out you are the same person :)[/b]

Hey i was wondering the same thing a while back... welcome back Kyle, why the same change??
Kevo[/b]
:beerchug: < for Kyle

Welcome back

·
Registered
30 Posts
On December 10th when the conditions were limited they only charged $20 for a day pass (normal is $35). Only the main forest roads were open that day (approx. 100kms). They had just got about 10 cms of fresh snow the day before. Which was fine for the first ride of the season! We put on 125kms that day and had a absolute blast! It was my first ride in the Haliburton Forest. The forest roads are wide, smooth and have some really nice sections. I liked the EAST road the best, it had some really nice sweepers and a cool twisty section. Having said that, you do end up running some of the same spots twice, but who cares.....your RIDING :div20: ...

I called them this morning (Jan 8th) and they are not taking reservations because of the conditions. The girl said to call back tomorrow and check the conditions, most likely they will get some more snow overnight. I'm thinking on going up on Thursday or Friday and hopefully again on Saturday.

FYI> The trail conditions on their website have not been updated since Saturday.
Haliburton Forest

:i_need_snow:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yea it's starting to look like Thursday may have to be a vacation day to go to HALI forest. I havent ridden my new REV and am just jonsen!!!! :div20: :fluffy: :banana:

RXwonder you may see a red rev, blue rev and a black F7, if my buddies walk what they talk. Hope for tonnes of lake effect snow for the area.[/b]

"Walk what they talk, eh?" Listen buddy, your one to talk... I'll be in your driveway 6am Thursday morning, make sure your wife knows your going this time! I dont want her on the front porch yelling at me..."What the Hell are you doing here..." :smilielol: see ya Thursday morning! Forcast looks frosty...and lake effect snow is a sure bet in the next day or two! I cant wait! :div20:

1 - 20 of 162 Posts