Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding sleds forever, my parents used to take me around theyards on them when I couldn't even walk yet, I had my Kitty Kat when I turned 3, then moved up to a Scorpion 290 stinger when I was 5 or 6, had this for about 4-6 years, when I was about 10 my christmas present was a 400 jag, had this till I was about 15 then from saving money got into a el-tigre 5000. Eventually working my way up to bigger and nicer sleds, I have owned about 4 other 800's, anyhow I just don't want this accident to be from anyone thinking yeah guy can't handle the power or whatever.
So we were driving the ditches towards Mora, had about 40 miles on the sled 2003 MXZX 800 longtrack. When we came to an open creek, my bud went up top of the ditch, I stayed at the bottom, he didn't get to see the open water, we didn't know it was there till I either had to get off and muscle the sled around or go over 10ft or so of open water.
Well I choose going over or thru it.
The last thing I remember is driving to the water, then had 4 officers all around me, I have no clue as to went on from the time I started to go thru the water, till I was a walking zombie, my bud said I was awake but must of been out with the eyelids open. All I could say to him was John where the fuck are we, N whose fucked up sled is that? John where are we and what are we doing with this fucked up sled by us. I don't remember even saying anything.
Ambulance came and was put up in ER for tests, 5 hours later DR. said all the scans came back with no brain swelling, or blod in urin or brain, or vital organs.
My helmet was a full faced Arctic Cat brand helemt wife bought it last year to match my new ZL SS 600. Helemet was top of the line about $340.00 or so if I was wearing a fleet farm $29. special I may not be here right now. For my cat helmet has a 6inch shatter in it.
As far as what happened, only thing I can figure or guesstimate is that, 1st I went thru the water at about 30 MPH, I wasn'r gonna fly thru it cuz it was about 30 feet of ice on the other side. In the middle maybe I hit a stump or on the icy end track spun out kicking me sideways thus hitting traction and maybe bucking me off the sled but instead of me getting thrown off I held on and grabbed the throttle as I was trying to hang-on pinching it wide-open and taking out the 2 populars that were on the ground by the sled. Or instead of going slow like I planned I hit it fast n hard and lost control from the ice on other end, but I wasn't drinking or on drugs so I knew that the ice on other end would of been an animal to contend with going at a high rate of speed, so I m going for the 1st theory.
I got a shot of morphine before I was sent home, wish I had some now. my neck I can't move any direction, my back feels like it's been worked over by the Yankee sluggers for batting pratice.
You know ive done alot of crazy shit on a sled and prolly should of been injured along time ago, but it's when you are sober and in full control of the sled that things like this spiral out of your control and just when your going out say a little prayer to the one who watches over us everytime you go out cuz you might just not be coming home. My kids and I pray ever night before I put them to bed to keep our loved one's safe and to protect them.
So to everyone keep it safe and may God keep you from getting seriously hurt, I did a big thanks to him for sparinging me. Time for an oxycotten.

·
Registered
210 Posts
That must have been you i saw did you unload at Pats cafe. I was on a white xc 700 a couple of buddys were with me at BP the gas station. Was that you and a older zr 600 that followed us into town.

Jake

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
get back on the horse. personally i would make sure you add a tekvest.

glad to hear you made it home to tell the story - would hate to hear this from your buddy.

bro in law knows the AC helmets are on the heavy side, but worth the few added ounces.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll be back on gotta little bit of a fixing 1st, but I still have a 600 ZL SS with 1,200 miles as back-up, or wives sled or my kids sled, so got a few to ride till my baby is back n running thing sucks though is I just bought this sled and didn't get insurance on it yet. Seems a trailing arm and a few other items that can be found on ebay and i'll be good, no hood or windshield damage at all.
Thanks for everyones support.

·
Registered
430 Posts
speedy recover restin2002 and thank GOD you are ok. The tek vest is starting to sound like a good ideal, at least for me. I crashed(rolled) going 55mph last year on a lake.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
sucks to crash, also sucks when you look at the statistics in MN... we know pretty much on average around 20-25 deaths each year on sleds..thats a lot of f-ing funerals each year with sledding being the main topic. :banghead: they don't talk much about the devastating injuries... no count on those broken knees, arms getting ripped off,brain damage etc...

ofcourse the big no'no's is riding off trails, riding under the influence, etc...

but damn the cross country racer and the good ole boy in me keeps me going... bit of a gambler too if ya know what I mean!!!!!!!

but your deal sounds pretty damn innocent!!! experienced rider, maybe a little too pumped for the first snow,,made minor bad choice,probably in unfamiliar territory???

but when ya look at the stats,you can't be too careful!!!!

A doo with a bent trailing arm :fluffy: thats normal...get her fixed up and get ready for the next ride, I'd say you used up a life already this year!!lucky for you, good cats got 9 lives :banana:

:drunk:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally able to move without lot's of pain or strain, now I can start wrenching on the sled. Thanks for everyone's support is appreciated.
Now if we could get some snow we'd all be doing ok.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.