Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see this because of all the ice and snow in my suspension until after it thawed one of the mechanics pointed it out. They said it was the second one they had come back with a cracked rail. This is a weak point. It was covered under warranty, as was a bunch of other bearings and idler wheels and the upper chaincase bearing. I'm glad to say my dealer did right by me. I was there NINE HOURS today while they worked on my sled. My sled was checked out big time. Even checked TPS and temp and coolant sensors. My "updated" ecu is the cause of my problems. They would have swapped one with me but they didn't have any "triangles".

Here is a pic of my cracked rail while it was still on the sled.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a lot of little issues that are essentially routine maintenance. Idler bearings etc. Glad to hear you found the source of your performance problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by messickzr@Mar 10 2003, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a lot of little issues that are essentially routine maintenance. Idler bearings etc. Glad to hear you found the source of your performance problems.
Yea but it ain't fixed yet.. :( whine :(

·
Registered
575 Posts
you've got to be ready for these kind of things, think about it, 140 horsepower sled that is lighter than any sled on the market in its class? Some things are not going to be as durable as they can be.

·
Registered
40 Posts
All these Firecat problems, I may not snow check one after all.............maybe a 03 Mach Z will doo....triple and made of solid iron....shes a brickwall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you are buying old tech, a ZR800 can't be beat. Much better all around sled that a Mach Z tank. Brickwall? Well maybe just a brick. :p

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
All theese problems got you thinking a "old tech" ZR 9 maybe? or maybe back to Poo? I know how you don't like down time and don't blame you. Korene and I are wavering from a Fcat Back to a Doo Legned for her. I'd even like an 800 SDI Ledgend I think. It sucks making a decision wyhen 3 of the 4 manufacturers are making good stuff.

·
Registered
200 Posts
By the way... What took 9 hours? If I have this straight, they replaced a rail, some idler wheel bearings and the upper chaincase bearing. I'm a mechanic myself and I'm telling you... I'd be broke if that was all I could get done in 9 hours.

That job should have taken 2 hours at the absolute most.

edit: Ok, ok... Add another 1/2 hour for plugging in the EFI analyzer. Still... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by denny@Mar 10 2003, 10:06 PM
All theese problems got you thinking a "old tech" ZR 9 maybe? or maybe back to Poo? I know how you don't like down time and don't blame you. Korene and I are wavering from a Fcat Back to a Doo Legned for her. I'd even like an 800 SDI Ledgend I think. It sucks making a decision wyhen 3 of the 4 manufacturers are making good stuff.
Not for me, I like the latest and the greatest. Plus I haven't had any down time at all. Maybe lucky timing, or just good preventative medicine? Love my Firecat :wub:

·
Registered
614 Posts
huz_yur_dady

Maybe they did both rails. I have done it twice and it is not a quick procedure to do correctly. I would say at least three hours for that job, depending on the mech.

·
Registered
198 Posts
That rail looks a little thin at the break point for durability. Bet we will see some more aluminum in that area on the 04's. There would be nothing stopping them from adding 1/2"of metal in that area.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts