Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I renewed my conceal carry today and the first time I went through the instructors were very clear that if an intruder is inside your home, that you can shoot them whether they are threatening you or even know you're there.
Today used a different instructor and he said the opposite. He said that unless they are directly threatening your life, you cannot shoot and that you also have an obligation to not engage with them or confront them if at all possible. Like if you hear glass window break in your house and you are the only person home, you are supposed to not go confront the situation? He basically said you're supposed to call the cops and hide.
I questioned him on this because I think that is wrong and he cited some statute, I still need to look that up but wanted to see if anyone here knows for sure. I'm pretty sure what he said is wrong because that's essentially what you're supposed to do when out in public is avoid issues at all costs but I've always known to be true if someone comes in your house that shouldn't be there, it's pretty much no questions asked and that's what they said at my last CCW class.

·
Super Moderator
36,447 Posts
I renewed my conceal carry today and the first time I went through the instructors were very clear that if an intruder is inside your home, that you can shoot them whether they are threatening you or even know you're there.
Today used a different instructor and he said the opposite. He said that unless they are directly threatening your life, you cannot shoot and that you also have an obligation to not engage with them or confront them if at all possible. Like if you hear glass window break in your house and you are the only person home, you are supposed to not go confront the situation? He basically said you're supposed to call the cops and hide.
I questioned him on this because I think that is wrong and he cited some statute, I still need to look that up but wanted to see if anyone here knows for sure. I'm pretty sure what he said is wrong because that's essentially what you're supposed to do when out in public is avoid issues at all costs but I've always known to be true if someone comes in your house that shouldn't be there, it's pretty much no questions asked and that's what they said at my last CCW class.
Look at your states DOJ web page

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Got my CC last year and he is correct you can not shoot someone even when they are in your house unless you or someone in your family/friends are being threatened and it probably needs to be with a weapon.

What ever you don't shoot them in the back.

Our instructor also mentioned that if you pull the trigger and wound or kill someone that you will need at least $60,000 for your lawyers to keep you out of jail.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Well you do live in a state that elected Omar..... Some states like PA have a Stand your ground law. But MN is "duty to retreat"

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
instructors are NOT lawyers and many don't know the TRUE laws
many pass on BAD info, they THINK is right

if you wish to find right answers, talk to an attorney, and get legal advice
BUT heads up, doing this might also open the door to , someone claiming pre meditated mind set?
or some other dumb ass thing
every state has different rules
, many have the stand your ground laws in the books now that allow you to defend yourself and your property

But IMO< before you pull a trigger, you better be sure its needed
as all the anti gunners out there, and media will be playing things up to make you into the bad guy, sad but true, few shootings go smoothly for those involved, be it law enforcement or civilians!

many yrs back a Guy shot a robber that broke into his house and KILLED his wife, robber was LEAVING when husband came home and SHOT him
Husband ended up in jail due to the threat was "leaving" when he shot him?
and didn;t have to?
crazy sad, but true, , a tricky lawyer can spin things!

and firing warning shots DON"T help you either can actually be used against you,
so before firings, be sure NO other options are at hand is MY advice!
and DON"T say crap to anyone till your lawyer shows up!

·
Registered
40,070 Posts
If anyone shows up in my house uninvited like that with a knife or gun, and refuse's to leave...their sol. Heck a friend thats a cop once told me if you kill someone outside that was threatening you with a weapon, make sure to drag him inside before you report it.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What he cited was 609.065 which reads
. 609.065 JUSTIFIABLE TAKING OF LIFE.
The intentional taking of the life of another is not authorized by section 609.06, except when necessary in resisting or preventing an offense which the actor reasonably believes exposes the actor or another to great bodily harm or death, or preventing the commission of a felony in the actor's place of abode
So if commiting a felony in your home, it is justifiable.
And I looked up first through third degree burglary which is a felony and that is at minimum entering a home without consent and intention to steal or commit felony or gross misdemeanor.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.065
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.582

·
Super Moderator
36,447 Posts
If anyone shows up in my house uninvited like that with a knife or gun, and refuse's to leave...their sol. Heck a friend thats a cop once told me if you kill someone outside that was threatening you with a weapon, make sure to drag him inside before you report it.
With today's forensics they would know you did that.

·
Public Relations Officer
Cat SX
15,776 Posts
LOL. Always make sure there isn't two sides of the story, don't tell yours until represented properly. Also, try to memorize this:

"Officer, I was afraid for my life...and I want a lawyer."

Or, dig a fucking hole in the backyard and make it all go away. This is now the best bet.

·
Super Moderator
36,447 Posts
LOL. Always make sure there isn't two sides of the story, don't tell yours until represented properly. Also, try to memorize this:

"Officer, I was afraid for my life...and I want a lawyer."

Or, dig a fucking hole in the backyard and make it all go away. This is now the best bet.
Bon-Fires might work too.

·
Public Relations Officer
Cat SX
15,776 Posts
Bon-Fires might work too.
Pick your option! It's dealers choice!

Seriously though, with the liberal court systems still under repair.....you are nuts to think you can explain your actions to them and not end up broke, and/or in jail, and as a bonus, suffer irreparable damage to your career and life. The "no justice, no peace" freakoids will be all over you. In their eyes, you should have laid down your life...they'll sort it out for you in their own legal ways.

Dispose of the situation and have a plan should you need one.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do know enough to not say anything, maybe besides the generic statement of I feared for my life. Nothing specific. Even if you didn't actually do anything at all it is best to just never talk because words can be twisted and if you say anything contradictory or change a story or are off the cuff with anything, anything you say can and will be used against you. There's a good YouTube video called never talk to police or something like that it was an an ex cop talking to college students.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I do know enough to not say anything, maybe besides the generic statement of I feared for my life. Nothing specific. Even if you didn't actually do anything at all it is best to just never talk because words can be twisted and if you say anything contradictory or change a story or are off the cuff with anything, anything you say can and will be used against you. There's a good YouTube video called never talk to police or something like that it was an an ex cop talking to college students.
I’ve watched that video several times - it’s a good one.

As far as what your original question was, I don’t know the right answer for MN, but I know who would....

MN-GOC (MN Gun Owners Caucus), headed by Bryan Strawser is the primary organization to consult (and support). They would either be able to answer the question or point you in the right direction.

https://www.gunowners.mn

Other excellent resources that the Gun Owners Caucus would be able to put you in touch with: attorney David Gross from Faribault, Professor Emeritus Joe Olson from Hamline School of Law, and another attorney from the Twin Cities whose name eludes me at the moment.

Please do support that organization - they are much more effective in MN than most gun owners appreciate. Great group of people.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Some states have a Castle doctrine but that varies from state to state.In some states it even applies to a fenced and gated property.It was tested here locally 7 or 8 years back when some kid broke into a guys home.The homeowner asked the kid what he was doing in his house and supposedly the kid was drunk/high and just jumped at the guy resulting in getting shot and killed.It was a pretty big news story for awhile.I don't think the homeowner was ever charged with a crime.

·
Super Advanced Member
2,227 Posts
I wonder if I lit some intruder up with a paintball gun what would happen...
My Spyder Pilot can empty a 200 round hopper in a very short period of time.
The intruder would be sore as a fucker from head to toe, but nothing major would happen as long as I didnt hit an eye. Id probably shoot him right in the dick.
I have a pump and semi in my gun case in our room, hope I'm never put in this situation.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I took mine for the first time last year. I went with my buddy who was renewing his. He was talking like you from his first time. When we went it was similar to like your second time. I think it’s a touchy situation in MN. Your best bet is only shoot if your in harms way. If a teenager breaks into your home to steal your jewelry without a weapon, it’s probably not a good idea to shoot. You might be the one going to jail. Pull your weapon and be ready to protect yourself but resist the temptation unless you feel like your own life if is in danger is the best bet and never shoot someone in the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wonder if I lit some intruder up with a paintball gun what would happen...
My Spyder Pilot can empty a 200 round hopper in a very short period of time.
The intruder would be sore as a fucker from head to toe, but nothing major would happen as long as I didnt hit an eye. Id probably shoot him right in the dick.
I have a pump and semi in my gun case in our room, hope I'm never put in this situation.
Unless that person has a real gun or is on some drugs. I wouldn't be going for a paintball gun in a life and death situation.

Nanner yes I agree and I'm not trying to come off as trigger happy I hope to never be in a situation where I need to even think about it but I also want to be prepared and know the laws and what can and can't do. In those moments in middle of the night you won't know intentions and or if they are armed.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Unless that person has a real gun or is on some drugs. I wouldn't be going for a paintball gun in a life and death situation.

Nanner yes I agree and I'm not trying to come off as trigger happy I hope to never be in a situation where I need to even think about it but I also want to be prepared and know the laws and what can and can't do. In those moments in middle of the night you won't know intentions and or if they are armed.

Wasn’t saying you are. Our instructor was a deputy and he said that you should have a good reason to shoot. I think most criminals would run if confronted with a gun. Thank good I live in a rural area and violent crimes are a rarity. I think most burglar’s around here are looking for quick buck and would flee if confronted. And like previous posters said, don’t say a word to the police except you feared for your life until you have a lawyer.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Wasn’t saying you are. Our instructor was a deputy and he said that you should have a good reason to shoot. I think most criminals would run if confronted with a gun. Thank good I live in a rural area and violent crimes are a rarity. I think most burglar’s around here are looking for quick buck and would flee if confronted. And like previous posters said, don’t say a word to the police except you feared for your life until you have a lawyer.

take with a gain of salt, no bash here, BUT cops, and sheriffs DON"T know all the laws or how they work, there law enforcement officers NOT lawyers, so anything they can can be WRONG
I went thru police training , so I am NOT bashing, just stating a fact
just cause a cop, sheriff, deputy said "X" doesn't always means it true, fact, or up to date correct!
so, heads up, when being told things

if you want advice talk to an attorney and get it in writing as well, so you have it!
so its never turns into a hear say deal!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Hopefully I never need to use my gun to protect myself or my family but if I do I guess I'll be in jail waiting to see if I was right or wrong.

I mind my own business in public to old to look for trouble.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts