Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No problem changing the lower idler bearings, but the upper ones don't want to come off. Does anybody know any tricks to changing this bearing?

It's so far down the shaft my puller isn't long enough. I tried hammering it, but it doesn't want to budge...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
You need to get an 8" 3 jaw puller and a flat 1/4" steel plate to put on the end of the shaft. It will slip right off.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
There a special puller for them. If you are in good with your dealer and buy the bearings from them they might pull them for you no charge. Mine used to, but I bought one for myself now.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Remove clip and rubber wheel then split bearing with grinder. Use socket
to install new one. Or buy tool for 100$.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering if there was a longer 3 jaw puller out there. Thanks for the advise.

I think I'll try the grinder method.

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
I can buy an 8" 3 jaw puller for $30 CDN so why waste your time cutting them off? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
2014 XF800 137
4,449 Posts
Originally posted by ArcticF7ext@Aug 28 2005, 06:56 PM
No problem changing the lower idler bearings, but the upper ones don't want to come off.  Does anybody know any tricks to changing this bearing?

It's so far down the shaft my puller isn't long enough.  I tried hammering it, but it doesn't want to budge...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=851133
[/quote]
If that is a firecat chassis, just take a flat end punch (chisel) and rest on the inside base of the bearing. Take a hammer and hit the end of the punch, it will pop right off. This chasis only has a small raised lip that holds the bearings on.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried the punch thing and it won't move. I hit it pretty hard, any harder and I'm nervous about damaging the shaft.

I haven't done anything yet, maybe I'll check with a couple buddies about an 8 inch puller....

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried the punch thing and it won't move. I hit it pretty hard, any harder and I'm nervous about damaging the shaft.

I haven't done anything yet, maybe I'll check with a couple buddies about an 8 inch puller....

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
Are you close to a Princess Auto outlet? Get their 8" 3 jaw puller for like $28.99 CDN.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Originally posted by user2@Aug 28 2005, 09:23 PM
Remove clip and rubber wheel then split bearing with grinder. Use socket
to install new one. Or buy tool for 100$.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=851391
[/quote]
What he said. Why spend the money on a puller or risk damaging the shaft? It's much easier to cut off the $7 bearing and put on a new one. It's not worth the aggravation AND do you really want to reuse that bearing?? :doh: :dunno:

·
Premium Member
15,688 Posts
You guys are killing me. :smilielol: To each their own I guess. :beer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts