Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
19,918 Posts
they do the same crap here in minnesota. paved trails and studs are no good. If they keep the ban just to the paved portion we will be ok. But they need to not pave snowmobile trails and just make those people their own trail and make them pay a fee to use it. This is a loose loose situation for the sledders

·
Registered
159 Posts
It is a marked snomobile trail who buys expensive permits to use it
before and after it was paved with sled freindly asphalt ?
the permitless bicylists are complaining, they want the rail road
clinkers back, that is classic when a SNOWMOBILE trail has
donations to pave it

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Big Rapids is paved I believe.........it sucks. I just refuse to ride on paved trails. Also the trail east from Reed City to Farwell I know they have been paving sections for 3 years

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Big Rapids is paved I believe.........it sucks. I just refuse to ride on paved trails. Also the trail east from Reed City to Farwell I know they have been paving sections for 3 years
I saw them paving the RR bed between Reed City and Farwell a couple weeks ago and I was like WTF?? I guess if the bikers and hikers can keep coming up with the money to pave all these trails then myself and alot of others will ride somewhere else. Wonder how much the bikers and hikers will pump into these towns in the winter?

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
I am guessing that our trail permit dollars just go for grooming the trail. I would like to know for sure if that money is being used to pave these trails....If so, we have a huge bitch.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Snowmobile $$ is not used to pave trails. Permit money is not even used to repair road crossings, that comes from the gas tax money. In some cases they are however paving trails that were acquired with snowmobile resources - I am pretty sure, just can't put my fingers on the info yet. I will look over the weekend if I get time.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Last summer when They were paving from Cadillac South. I was talking to Larry from the DNRE and He said all the new pavement is studproof. That's why They were doing swaths across the intersections.

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
I saw them paving the RR bed between Reed City and Farwell a couple weeks ago and I was like WTF?? I guess if the bikers and hikers can keep coming up with the money to pave all these trails then myself and alot of others will ride somewhere else. Wonder how much the bikers and hikers will pump into these towns in the winter?
Highly unlikely,, they'll be too busy.... :idhitit: each other then

·
Registered
2013 Turbo
3,751 Posts
I have to agree that allowing sleds on a paved surface is a dumb idea. Road crossings are one thing but riding miles upon miles on a paved surface, regardless of snow cover, is going to ruin it (especially with studs). I suspect that the White Pine trail is not typical of trail systems that allow snowmobiles. It probably wasn't too smart in the first place to pave it.

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
I'm sure the business's are looking for the best of both worlds. food, pop, and beers to the sledders in the winter and pop,water, and power bars in the summer. If the people stop using the trail in the winter due to the pavement, they will see the light. I have not been on the Pier Marquette trail since they started the paving. I used to ride it 3-4 times a year and hang out a bunch at Big Al's in Lake.

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
Let me say the damage to the paved trail is real bad I mean really bad. I run studs on my sled. We are going to lose the right to ride on the paved trail unless we can find a way not to tear it up. There is a snow minimum depth on the trail that no one seems to be paying any attention to. We need idea's and fast they are working now to ban us from all paved Michigan trails. And in almost any town along the trails the people in those towns want there trails paved because of the people it brings to there business. We have all heard many times before how a few will wreck it for the rest of us. You better visit the web site friends of the white pine trail and add some ideas.

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
Those bikes and roller bladers will make them really good money over the summer ~ NOT!
If you take the time to ask business owner along the trail, they will tell you that they are busier in the non-winter months and make alot more money.
Not the gas stations.But the stores and restaurants. The restaurant in Big Rapids said it's 100 to 1 for summer.
There are many people working to ban studded snowmobile from all paved trails in Michigan and the snowmobiler are just bitching about it and not doing anything to try to stop this. I seem to be alone fighting this.
If you only get one point from this. EVERY town that has a trail threw it wants it paved.

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
If you take the time to ask business owner along the trail, they will tell you that they are busier in the non-winter months and make alot more money.
Not the gas stations.But the stores and restaurants. The restaurant in Big Rapids said it's 100 to 1 for summer.
There are many people working to ban studded snowmobile from all paved trails in Michigan and the snowmobiler are just bitching about it and not doing anything to try to stop this. I seem to be alone fighting this.
If you only get one point from this. EVERY town that has a trail threw it wants it paved.
You talking all Mi. towns?,, I find this very hard to believe,, especially a few towns in the U.P.

·
Registered
2013 Turbo
3,751 Posts
You talking all Mi. towns?,, I find this very hard to believe,, especially a few towns in the U.P.
Yea, me too. I don't think the towns around here are asking for any of the sled trails to be paved. That's more of a SW lower thing (i.e. White Pine). In fact allot of the counties up here are trying to open up all the trails for ORV use in the summer too!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Once they ban studs what will they do about carbide runners with studs the rider controlks the track spin carbides are digging in all the time!

1 - 20 of 150 Posts