Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
We have plenty of snow...Why no grooming in the interlake area??[/b]

i second that, but i am sure they have a really really good excuse. :banghead: i think they have sat on the pass funds long enough, put some fuel in that groomer and start grooming!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I hear ya on the no grooming.Up here in flin flon we have 3+ feet of snow and the groomer is not out yet.They wonder why people are pissed and not wanting to buy snow passes anymore as they do this every year.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Maybe you guys should phone your clubs and see if they need any help...they are volunteers. "They" are guys just like you who take time out of their schedules to man the groomers, sign the trails, wrench on the units for little or NO pay. Go back 15 years when we had f*** all for a trail organization. These people live and breath snowmobiling...give em a break.

·
Premium Member
31,899 Posts
Maybe you guys should phone your clubs and see if they need any help...they are volunteers. "They" are guys just like you who take time out of their schedules to man the groomers, sign the trails, wrench on the units for little or NO pay. Go back 15 years when we had f*** all for a trail organization. These people live and breath snowmobiling...give em a break.[/b]
i would if i had the time right now. i am in university and almost have no time to sled. when i am done my schooling i plan on helping with grooming.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I read somewere in the mb forum that if there are no signs up on the trails yet,thet cant groom by law.
Give em time ,everything should be mint in a week or so .

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think that in some ares that they are worried about the groomers breaking through the ice in the lake and rivers and especially the swamps? Does anyone know if the is a standard of ice thickness that they follow before grooming?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Im in Thompson mb, an are groomers are out. But we had Alot of trail cleanup to do after our first snow fall was so heavy, My father was in charge of cleanup this year
for our club the Thompson trail breakers an in probly 2 an a half months he recorded 600 man hours, not to mention all the signs put up this year.
Anyway my point is that if u have time to ride u sure as hell should be able to find the time to volunteer to help your club at least one day a winter. Theres alot to do befor
those groomers go out, thats all im saying.........

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not a member of a snowmobile club. At this time my busniess just does'nt allow for it. I feel however I do support the clubs by puchasing a snowpass. 4 of them each year. A lot of sledders get extended time off during the christmas break. Post a help request here on HCS if help is need for signage placement. You have more people ready to help than you would need!!

We pay for snowpasses in Nov/early Dec. I can not understand why the signs cannot be up and ready in early Dec when or just prior the the first snowfall. Why must we wait until mid January with more than enough snowfall to get moving with grooming. The season is short enough. We are now moving into the second week of January leaving what maybe 7 weeks of sledding left?

Again I ask where's the grooming??

·
Registered
53 Posts
To become a member of a local club takes about two minutes, go online to thier website and join then at least the clubs will get a bigger chunk of the snow fund. There is not enough ice yet in many areas they need at least 14" for insurance purposes. Unfortunately with lots of snow and mild weather ice does not form. People say they don't have time to help a club bulls#$T if you have time to ride you could take a day and help your local club with signage and trail clearing. If everyone did this things would get going alot faster.

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
I echo the sentiments made by a few: If you think you could do it better, get the fizzuck out there and man the damn groomer yourself.
Without the STP (SAME TEN PEOPLE) in every club in north america, there'd be fuck-all for trails for you to ride. Burns my ass to hear some shitbird run down any club or groomer. You can't see past your own nose.
So, to sum up, join and help- or- ride the moguls like a man and stfu.

How many new enemys did I just make?

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Find out where you ride. Call the club. If the club has disbanded in your area, no grooming. Sno passes when bought are assigned to a club of your request. If you say for example are a member of the Lee River club or do your riding out there they would get a portion of your sno pass. If you ride where they have 100 members and 50 other people request the proceeds go there...you do the math. Sno passes do not fund grooming...they subsidize it. The grooming tractors are a maintainance whore and parts are expensive. The groomer could be down and they do not have the money or the means to repair it. I know ice conditions are dicey and this includes swamps too. So maybe thats where your grooming might be. Contact the club and find out. Kudos to you for buying a Sno pass.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I think he meant that he bought 4 passes this year but didnt designate which area he rides when he got them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here we go with the attacks again.

I asked a simple question why is there no grooming and instead of a reasonable answer everything including the kitchen sink is thrown my way. I am probally voiceing what 99% of sledders are thinking out there right now.

I still have not been told why there has been no grooming. Groomer broken?

As far as joining a club and paying an additional membership is that not really what we are doing when we pay for a snowpass and assign the proceeds of a pass towards a certain club?? Am I missing something here??

If I had a involvement in every club to match all of my activites we do over the year I would not get any sleep after working all day because of time. That's why we support clubs with fees. In the future when my busniess changes then it will be my turn to do something with the club. As it is I am gone out of town 4 weeks+weekends out of the 7 weeks of possible riding. I could be cheap and do what I suspect a good number of sledders do in this province and think "hey I am going to ride without passes and not support the clubs as I am only going to use the trails for 3 -4 weekends only". And yes it is 4 seperate passes for 4 sleds.

This is not about the clubs its about the system

·
Registered
323 Posts
Here we go with the attacks again.

I asked a simple question why is there no grooming and instead of a reasonable answer everything including the kitchen sink is thrown my way. I am probally voiceing what 99% of sledders are thinking out there right now.

I still have not been told why there has been no grooming. Groomer broken?

As far as joining a club and paying an additional membership is that not really what we are doing when we pay for a snowpass and assign the proceeds of a pass towards a certain club?? Am I missing something here??

If I had a involvement in every club to match all of my activites we do over the year I would not get any sleep after working all day because of time. That's why we support clubs with fees. In the future when my busniess changes then it will be my turn to do something with the club. As it is I am gone out of town 4 weeks+weekends out of the 7 weeks of possible riding. I could be cheap and do what I suspect a good number of sledders do in this province and think "hey I am going to ride without passes and not support the clubs as I am only going to use the trails for 3 -4 weekends only". And yes it is 4 seperate passes for 4 sleds.

This is not about the clubs its about the system[/b]

I thought my answer was some what resonable :dunno:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well something is really fishy here. If all the people who work the groomers, clear the trails, put up the signs, etc. are unpaid volunteers, then where the hell is all the trail pass money going, Is someone saving up a nice little nest egg for themselves.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I think he meant that he bought 4 passes this year but didnt designate which area he rides when he got them.[/b]
When I bought my pass this year I never said what club to designate it to. I live in the city and when I go for a ride I dont
ride in a specific area,so my $$$ goes into the snoman pool as well. But ya I would imagine that they are sitting on a pile of $$$ right now. They could at least post something on thier web site to let all of us pass holders know whats going on at the moment. If its due to ice conditions then maybe they can groom up to them for now and go on the ice when its safe to do so. Ive also heard that next year,passes might be included in plates,so lets hope that the snow pass price goes down a bit due to
more $$$ from all plated sleds in Manitoba. If this dosnt happen ,then it would be a nice idea to give a discount to pass holders from this year for next year due to the late start on the trails from poor snow at the start of the season.
Not bashing here,just an opinion.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I too am not here to rant on any club or its volunteers. Without the volunters we all know we would not have the trails to ride on.

It is just the season is so short why are we not prepared to go right at the beginning? Yes some lakes and creeks are not safe right now. We could still groom most trail and all hwy sections and should have been done by now.

Do the clubs have to report activity and finical reports to Sno Man?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.