Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just how many will go down the toilet this year. If we dont get groomable snow soon,and they have breakdowns that keep them from grooming,a lot of councils and clubs wont be able to make the equipment payments.That $4 or so per mile is what pays the rent, and even with a good year it can get tight.Gaylord got in a jam last year with all the down time,Kewanaw was many thousands in the hole,I seem to recall that Houghton Lake had some issues as well, and there were several others.On the other hand ,we didnt have groomable snow here untill around 18 jan last year,but it was good almost to the end.With the DNR getting out next year,there will be a lot of trails closed if a grooming entity doesnt pick them up,and if a few go under financially,there will be just that many more.Just makes me wonder ....

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
just how many will go down the toilet this year. If we dont get groomable snow soon,and they have breakdowns that keep them from grooming,a lot of councils and clubs wont be able to make the equipment payments.That $4 or so per mile is what pays the rent, and even with a good year it can get tight.Gaylord got in a jam last year with all the down time,Kewanaw was many thousands in the hole,I seem to recall that Houghton Lake had some issues as well, and there were several others.On the other hand ,we didnt have groomable snow here untill around 18 jan last year,but it was good almost to the end.With the DNR getting out next year,there will be a lot of trails closed if a grooming entity doesnt pick them up,and if a few go under financially,there will be just that many more.Just makes me wonder ....[/b]
Sounds like the whole sport is taking a shit, with the weather, groomers, trails, Shit ass Michigan economy.

·
Registered
292 Posts
just how many will go down the toilet this year. If we dont get groomable snow soon,and they have breakdowns that keep them from grooming,a lot of councils and clubs wont be able to make the equipment payments.That $4 or so per mile is what pays the rent, and even with a good year it can get tight.Gaylord got in a jam last year with all the down time,Kewanaw was many thousands in the hole,I seem to recall that Houghton Lake had some issues as well, and there were several others.On the other hand ,we didnt have groomable snow here untill around 18 jan last year,but it was good almost to the end.With the DNR getting out next year,there will be a lot of trails closed if a grooming entity doesnt pick them up,and if a few go under financially,there will be just that many more.Just makes me wonder ....[/b]
Well this might be a stupid question but what happens to all that trail permit money if the state isn't paying it to the groomers.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Ok, nobody's spent anything on sled gas for the last 3 weeks. how about We all take 25% of that and throw it in the groomer jars. It's a start. :mother_nature: :mother_nature:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Well this might be a stupid question but what happens to all that trail permit money if the state isn't paying it to the groomers.[/b]
Good question.

Get even just a little snow up there next week and I'll come up and "drop" some $$$$$$ !

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Well this might be a stupid question but what happens to all that trail permit money if the state isn't paying it to the groomers.[/b]
I was wondering this same thing? It would seem that thier would be a surplus of money for the month of December?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I beleive that the majority of this year's grooming money is actually last years trail permit $$. What happens to teh 'surplus' if it is not spent on actual grooming? It is still all run through the program. Next year there may be more $$ available to do special projects, like fixing a bridge or developing a new trail. Most likely, you will see a couple of extra grooming tractors available to clubs.

Does there have to be snow to "Groom" the trail. If its milage it takes I think I'd have the groomer running once a week smooooothing out the mud.
Matt[/b]
Ya, I wish. We are supposed to schedule each weeks grooming runs with our DNR contact. You actually think that he will allow 'snowmobile dollers' to be used like this? Now way. We got shafted on 5+ runs on Dec 1-5 doing just that, now we are back to square one with nothing to show for it. Our club will be footing the bill for that one, more dollers out of teh building fund.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts