Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have read many posts about Matryx and putting in different (Bergstrom) dampers +/- shims on stock skis to get smoother steering and reduce carbide loss. I have the opportunity to purchase Polaris gripper skis and rubber shim (5412794).

Is going one way vs. the other a better option?

Thanks.

·
Registered
689 Posts
This is my first modern sled (21 VR1). I did the Bergstrom rubbers, triple points and ski savers. For me, they work great. Eliminated the push I had cornering in mushy trails when coming in hot.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Gym suggests you actually ride this snowmachine first. Gym uses no less than 9" of carbide because when the skis hit the ground Gym corrects his sled. Gym chuckles about Bergstrom carbides. Gym used Stud Boy products because Gym is a stud.
If I wasnt such a cheap caveman, I wouldn't have stayed stuck in the 90's for so long. I might chuckle at the bergtroms too once I get closer to Gym level experience on these crazy new contraptions. I do agree with Gym though that there is more fun with the skis off the ground than on.

·
Registered
20 Khaos 850, 21 EVO and 22 Assault 850
405 Posts
If I wasnt such a cheap caveman, I wouldn't have stayed stuck in the 90's for so long. I might chuckle at the bergtroms too once I get closer to Gym level experience on these crazy new contraptions. I do agree with Gym though that there is more fun with the skis off the ground than on.
Amen to the fun factor on the newer sleds. I love being able to haul the skis on command.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Amen to the fun factor on the newer sleds. I love being able to haul the skis on command.
Exactly. These stock sleds do things that would take big bucks and riding skill to pull off on the older generation stuff. I dont have a big lug track, and I ride in some deep snow. Haven't been stuck yet. Then hit the trail and easy 100+ mph. Wheelies any time.

·
Registered
Switchback Assault 800
980 Posts
I put the grippers on my assault with shaper bars. I would consider using Bergstrom's triples or at least get the ski savers. Almost had a trip ruined when I lifted the ski to check the carbides and could see light thru the ski. Wore right thru it. Luckily the dealer close by had a set for sale so I was able to swap. Ski savers work and the triples last forever.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
That’s a problem with aftermarket skis, is the availability of a new one in isolated areas if one is needed. I put the longest carbide I can get on them which keeps them from wearing quickly. I have yet to wear a set out prior to selling sled.

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,304 Posts
I put the grippers on my assault with shaper bars. I would consider using Bergstrom's triples or at least get the ski savers. Almost had a trip ruined when I lifted the ski to check the carbides and could see light thru the ski. Wore right thru it. Luckily the dealer close by had a set for sale so I was able to swap. Ski savers work and the triples last forever.
I had a similar situation on the gripper. One season in northern Wisconsin and wore through the bottom. Ski savers would have helped for sure .

·
Registered
17,296 Posts
is going one way vs. the other a better option?
what types of riding/conditions?
For trail use, I find prosteers to work just fine but in deeper/looser snow the grippers just are so much better

·
Registered
Switchback Assault 800
980 Posts
I had a similar situation on the gripper. One season in northern Wisconsin and wore through the bottom. Ski savers would have helped for sure .
I think because it is more of a deep snow ski it isn't as beefy as a trail ski. I've never had that happen to any of the other skis I've had.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Are these shims. Where did you get them. Switching my 22/650/137 XC to gripper Skis.
Skinz makes them. The bumpers set on top of them. So I guess they do shim it up a bit. Definitely keep the tips up. Good luck finding them, they are on back order from all my suppliers. They have also about doubled in price since I ordered my last few sets.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts