Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people have had issues putting Gripper skis on their Matryx sled due to the lowered mounting bolt location in the Matryx spindle. Durapro rubbers do not fit properly, and the ones from the pro steer skis have to be cut narrower to fit the Gripper saddle. They do not however put enough pressure on the tail of the ski for best carbide to snow contact.

I installed Gripper skis on my 650 VR1 137, and used rubbers from Source Innovations here in Canada. They fit perfectly, and give the proper heel/tail pressure as well as holding the ski tip up. The thickness of the rubber from where the bottom of the spindle contacts to where the rubber contacts the saddle is the same thickness (actually slightly thicker), and they are wider for better ski saddle to spindle support. I did fit them with 1/4" shims from Bergstrom Skegs, but that reduced ski movement too much IMO. I removed the shims and will monitor if the tail pressure changes. It is easy to check by lifting the front of the sled off the ground and look at the natural position the ski wants to sit at, as well as how easily the ski pivots.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Great info- may be doing this on a 2022 sno check in the fall

·
Registered
Arctic Cat 6000
1,176 Posts
Interesting. good info.
I do know Bergstrom now makes custom rubber dampers (for ski doo and polaris) that don't need shims. Essentially the rubber is thicker where the shim would be.

·
Registered
2021 Polaris VR1 650
229 Posts
I have grippers on my VR1, used RMK ski rubbers that are shimmed, no problems.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Shim the rmk ski rubbers or the ultimate ski rubber dampeners. Any other choices with grippers installed on non-rmk spindles?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Shim the rmk ski rubbers or the ultimate ski rubber dampeners. Any other choices with grippers installed on non-rmk spindles?
I am going to try these in my grippers this season. Rmk bumpers on top. Wood Rectangle Font Tableware Cutlery They sit in ski and bumpers go on top. Kinda pricey but I figured I’d give them a try.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered an assault, changed for grippers during the ordering, will have to see what the factory throws on for rubbers.
The factory does not install them. They are shipped separately to the dealer for installation after the sled arrives.

·
Premium Member
22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
3,498 Posts
Exactly what benefits do the Grippers claim for the price.
The grippers are superior to the pro steer skis in all conditions. Pro steer skis are fine on hardpack trails only. Anything else they are terrible.

·
Registered
2021 850 Assault 146, 2019 Pantera 6000, 1975 Jag 340, 1973 Colt S/S 340
136 Posts
Mine were the value of the Pro Steers and rubbers in the parts book subtracted and the value of the Grippers and rubbers added. So a bit more money but a much better ski.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2022 136 XCR ordered and have been thinking about putting gripper skis on. Is it worth the upgrade from the pro steers? I ride 70% trail and 30% off trail. Are the grippers bad on the trails? I've had multiple sleds with pro steer skis running 6 inch carbides which are not the best in fresh snow. Does Polaris even have rubbers for the gripper ski to mate up to the Matryx spindle?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I have a 2022 136 XCR ordered and have been thinking about putting gripper skis on. Is it worth the upgrade from the pro steers? I ride 70% trail and 30% off trail. Are the grippers bad on the trails? I've had multiple sleds with pro steer skis running 6 inch carbides which are not the best in fresh snow. Does Polaris even have rubbers for the gripper ski to mate up to the Matryx spindle?
I run grippers on my assault and my opinion is they are better in all conditions than the pro steer. I used rmk bumpers but still shimmed them. I run 10” of carbide just for durability. They are much better in late day mushy trail conditions, not much different in morning hard packed or freshly groomed trails. Off trail they are night and day better. Best example is when riding slow in deeeep fresh snow and have to turn quick the pro steer will dive making most any turn off camber. The grippers float and turn much better and getting up on top is effortless. Draw backs. Most places stock pro steer carbides. May be tougher to find replacement carbides for grippers in a pinch. This will change as more people are running them.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I run grippers on my assault and my opinion is they are better in all conditions than the pro steer. I used rmk bumpers but still shimmed them. I run 10” of carbide just for durability. They are much better in late day mushy trail conditions, not much different in morning hard packed or freshly groomed trails. Off trail they are night and day better. Best example is when riding slow in deeeep fresh snow and have to turn quick the pro steer will dive making most any turn off camber. The grippers float and turn much better and getting up on top is effortless. Draw backs. Most places stock pro steer carbides. May be tougher to find replacement carbides for grippers in a pinch. This will change as more people are running them.
Agree, I don't think I want to ride another sled without them unless they come out with a better ski in the future.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I do the same thing with the carbides. Usually do the 8”. who makes the 10” carbide?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts