Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm building my 800 CFI and the polaris tech manual says to use 2 stroke oil on crank and rod bearings. I would think you'd want something sticky there like isoflex. Any builders here that could help me decide?

·
Registered
45,103 Posts
Hi all, I'm building my 800 CFI and the polaris tech manual says to use 2 stroke oil on crank and rod bearings. I would think you'd want something sticky there like isoflex. Any builders here that could help me decide?
As far as the crank or wrist pin bearings on any sled i always lubed them up real good with 2 stroke mineral oil.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I always use clevite cam guard assembly lube. Shit is great.. tacky as shit and really sticks to essential parts that you don't want to dry fuck on initial start up. Head down and get some from your local auto parts store

·
Registered
15 Pro-S/15 8RR/21 850 XRS
1,777 Posts
If you put grease in there, grease will lube it for a bit. Then when it starts to wash away, thats when the grease will partly block the bearings from getting oil. Crank bearings need oil in every part.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
When building a crank from ground up I used lubeguard asemblee goo green. On the rod bearing alone and then put the crank together. Then squirt 2 stroke oil in there too and mix it up. This was for ground up building a crank that would sit in a sealed bag for some months. It kepts the oil on the bearings while sitting.

Chances are your not doing that lol. So just some 2 stroke oil in there will find its way on all surfaces much better with a complete crank. Put it between each crank wheel next to the rods too.

Crank bearings 2 stroke will be fine as well and thats all we used.

We put red and tacky grease lightly along the rings on the piston and skirts. Then mineral 2 stroke oil on the cylinder. You need to be on the throttle on start up for 15 seconds after or else your plug will be flooded. But these engines had a 3 year warranty on them and thats how they did it.

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 800 129", 2019 Indy 850 129", 2011 IQ Turbo 121"
2,892 Posts
Plenty of 2-stroke oil, nothing else. In a 4-stroke, the oil washes out anything you put in/on parts and you can drain that debris and goo when you do the next oil change. Modern 2-strokes don't put gas through the crankcase, so don't "wash" stuff out of the engine very well. Whatever you put inside the case will mostly stay there, unless it can form a mist (like oil can) and get pumped into the cylinder.

·
Premium Member
22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
3,496 Posts
STP on upper rod bearings, regular two stroke oil on the crank, cylinders, pistons, rings, etc.

·
Registered
2014 Polaris Indy 800 XC / 2005 Polaris Indy 800 XCSp
2,987 Posts
If it were me I'd oil everything up but I can't see how grease would hurt. Motor would heat up and the grease would melt off and oil would be on it right away. I can't see any damage to anything.
Pick your poison.

·
Registered
17 xcr 800 2/xcr800 2000
1,391 Posts
i wouldn't use a grease of any type. most automotive grease ,even the light stuff would not begin to melt until 3 or 4 hundred degrees , in which would cause a barrier for the critical lube to get to the bearings or cylinder walls , immediate damage , i have takin engines axles ,pretty much anything that needs a oil .that someone assembled with grease ,and the product had been used to operating temp or more and the grease is still blocking stuff , i would use a recommended 2 stroke pre lube ,or 2 stroke oil only. think about it just sayin

·
Registered
17 xcr 800 2/xcr800 2000
1,391 Posts
If it were me I'd oil everything up but I can't see how grease would hurt. Motor would heat up and the grease would melt off and oil would be on it right away. I can't see any damage to anything.
Pick your poison.
so your motor operates at 125 130 degrees how is that temp going to melt a grease that has a drop point of 450 500

·
Registered
2014 Polaris Indy 800 XC / 2005 Polaris Indy 800 XCSp
2,987 Posts
Anytime I've added lubricating oil to grease on sliding surfaces, it just softens up and spreads it at room temperature. The lubricating oil is going to get to the crank bearings one way or another way. It's under pressure. It's going to mix with the grease.
Not all greases have 450° drop point some are a lot less. it depends on the type of oil and tactifier amounts used in the grease. All this means is it loses its lubricating properties and basically Burns off. I still don't see how it's an issue. I personally have done many motors and I've always used oil.
I don't think it's a valid issue to State not to use a grease coating on internal parts.
Maybe my mind will be persuaded if I read the snow West article from the Great God Indie Dan.
Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all on HCS.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts