Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '02 ZR 800 that I extended to 136" and added the 1.375" lug track (same as on the new Sno Pros). I haven't touched the gearing, it's still stock at 24/39. I was thinking of making a change to it this year and wanted to get some recommendations. I have read on here that some guys have gone to the ZR 900 gearing (26/41), which would be gearing up (right?). But a good sled-head friend of mine recommends that I gear down and go 23/41 due to the taller lug and the longer track.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I think your good friend is right! Top end is not your goal now.That bigger meat needs more mechanical force to turn it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Depends on what your trying to accomplish.
I long tracked my zr800 and geared it down to 19/40 but I take it out west a couple times a year and want the power to turn the track and climb. (I don't care about top speed) If your gears are too high you'll burn your belt.
Keep in mind I'm running a paragon clutch so that gearing might be a little to low for most. with overdrive it hits 85-90 mph on the dream dial. I'm also running 8 tooth drivers So that's an added factor too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I'm with bt too it what you want to do with it but for sure dont go any higher with it. 23/40 fits the case better would be a better ratio as you wont shift out 24/39 anyway if your running high speed trails with short tracks and it will run cooler. I have 20/39 in mine and will spin past 100 on speedo but you can tell the clutch is maxed out and would prolly blow a belt if it was for extended time. I use mine for boondocking off trail where the lower gear works good

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
For on and off trail 23/40 should be good to go. Will still get you past 100mph and have good low end for off trail. If you spend more time off trail you might want to go down to 22/41. Both ratios will use the same chain as the 24/39. :div20:

·
Registered
636 Posts
My 02 ZR 800cc efi is running a 136 with a 1.5 lug intense track. i broke the drive axle in half and tore up the chain case. so i invested into a 15 link wide chain and dropped a tooth on the top gear. Before the gear change on the hard pack it would run way past 100 mph, like to m on mph on the dream meter more than fast enough for me down a rail road grade. i didnt notice much of a change dropping a tooth so i may run a 40 on the bottom.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I think I'll start by going to 23/40 and see how that works, maybe try 23/41 after that.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
kruzercat, I have the 23/40 in my sled and it rips on it....im trying some new combo's this season however....so maybe I will find a better one.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Originally posted by jefro56@Sep 13 2005, 08:48 PM
For on and off trail 23/40 should be good to go. Will still get you past 100mph and have good low end for off trail. If you spend more time off trail you might want to go down to 22/41. Both ratios will use the same chain as the 24/39. :div20:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=873759
[/quote]
you have my vote :div20:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts