Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promised myself I wouldn't, but i just broke my promise, Im going to get into some summertime dragging :). Right now proly just grass drags, but eventually asphalt I would imagine.

Do I need to make a cooling kart for grass drags?? Or just try not to run it too much and heat it up?? If I need one, does anybody instructions or anything for making a simple one??
What about the track? Do you use a special track for grass drags? Or just run run the trail track with the studs! (that must be good for them!)

·
Premium Member
5,219 Posts
here is a easy one get ya a little pump that runs on a battery, a cooler, copper line coil the copper line in the cooler then fill with ice and there ya have it--ya just need some hose to hook to the sled and fittings

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
This is my first time grass dragging. I'm running a f6 in PSGDRA in trail stock class. I haven't used a cool down cart(yet). Next year i will make one. I entered 600 and 700 a couple of times and the cool down cart would have been nice. If you are only going to run one class then i would try it first before messing with a cart. As far as the sled in PSGDRA trail stock class you run stock track 1" with trail studs.The studs must not be to long so check with who you are going to run with. You can tie down the suspension, but must have 4" of travel. Take off your hyfax and i added some wheels from GRIP-N-RIP. And my studs still look like new, so really the grass has not done any damage. The last race is this weekend at martin, should be a great time. :drunk: :div20:

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks fellas, I will be installing a J&T coolant guage so I can keep an eye on the temps a little bit.

What about the ski's?? you just use the stock ones for grass drags?? Or is there something that works a little slicker?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
With how many mods you have, you will have to jump up into the improved stock class. A class which you don't have enough motor mods to compete effectively in. Not saying you can't go out and have fun and gain valuable racetrack experience, but unless its a really small race with not many sleds, I would bet you will have a hard time winning. Most of the sleds in improved stock 500 are actually 440 sno pros, revs, and pro-x's so they can run the same sled in improved stock 440 as well. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by kawicat@Oct 3 2005, 08:28 PM
With how many mods you have, you will have to jump up into the improved stock class.  A class which you don't have enough motor mods to compete effectively in.  Not saying you can't go out and have fun and gain valuable racetrack experience, but unless its a really small race with not many sleds, I would bet you will have a hard time winning.  Most of the sleds in improved stock 500 are actually 440 sno pros, revs, and pro-x's so they can run the same sled in improved stock 440 as well.  :dunno:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=906521
[/quote]

oh well, its not about the winning, its just for fun :div20:
I picked up on that this past winter, I have to go in higher classes, but I don't have enough to compete with them. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Originally posted by bill@Oct 3 2005, 08:59 PM
In reguards to the skis on grass, remove your carbides and run a bare steel bar on the stock ski.  There is a good article about biulding a cooldown cart. I biult one very similar, here is the link.                                                        http://www.off-road.com/snowmobile/project...Cart/index.html
:flag_canada:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=906447
[/quote]

Although I will probably never race in the summer, thanks for the interesting read. :beerchug:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Originally posted by kawicat@Oct 3 2005, 08:28 PM
With how many mods you have, you will have to jump up into the improved stock class.  A class which you don't have enough motor mods to compete effectively in.  Not saying you can't go out and have fun and gain valuable racetrack experience, but unless its a really small race with not many sleds, I would bet you will have a hard time winning.  Most of the sleds in improved stock 500 are actually 440 sno pros, revs, and pro-x's so they can run the same sled in improved stock 440 as well.  :dunno:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=906521
[/quote]
If you want to run a sled with mods you can run trail improved the times they are running seem to be around 6.3 for 500's.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I was over on AmSnow browsing the race section and there is a very interesting discussion on the DEATH OF GRASS DRAGS. It is really sad how an actual "improved stock" sled like firecatfever would not even have a prayer in the class it should be raced in. And people wonder why racer turnouts are down and people just don't care anymore. Hell, if there was a class were my lowly 99 zl 600 could actually compete I would have it loaded on the trailer tonight! TOO BAD REALLY! Even a zr 800 can't compete anymore and there are no fusion 900's, t-cat 900's, zr 900's in the stock 900 class, WTF!!! :dunno: Stock 1000 class is being won by a 700 every weekend?

We currently have 4 people/sleds in my immediate family alone, willing and able to compete in late model racing, but chose not to because we can't afford buying a brand new sled to race and our "old sleds" all zr's/zl's wouldn't even have a prayer against the new sleds.

Sorry just venting.

GRASS DRAGS :flush:

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by kawicat@Oct 4 2005, 08:27 PM
I was over on AmSnow browsing the race section and there is a very interesting discussion on the DEATH OF GRASS DRAGS.  It is really sad how an actual "improved stock" sled like firecatfever would not even have a prayer in the class it should be raced in.  And people wonder why racer turnouts are down and people just don't care anymore.  Hell, if there was a class were my lowly 99 zl 600 could actually compete I would have it loaded on the trailer tonight!  TOO BAD REALLY!  Even a zr 800 can't compete anymore and there are no fusion 900's, t-cat 900's, zr 900's in the stock 900 class, WTF!!! :dunno: Stock 1000 class is being won by a 700 every weekend?

We currently have 4 people/sleds in my immediate family alone, willing and able to compete in late model racing, but chose not to because we can't afford buying a brand new sled to race and our "old sleds" all zr's/zl's wouldn't even have a prayer against the new sleds.

Sorry just venting.

GRASS DRAGS :flush:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=908791
[/quote]

I here you Kawi, When Im out riding with my buddies I get all pumped up beacause my little 500 can really put a woopin on those big sleds, but then ever time I go to a local ice radar run, I get my ass kicked in the 500 class!

There is only one run that i have alot of luck at each year, there are alot more stock sleds there and it is really fun. Too bad there isn't more of that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts