Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Im going to Grand Marais MI on friday anyone else going up that way? I called them today and they said that there is 2-3 feet of snow on the trail and the temp was 35 but are suppose to get 2-3 inches of snow tomorrow I dont care as long as there is snow hope to put on 150-200 miles on my F7 this weekend....Let you know how everything goes. <_<

John

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Check out johndee .com for UP snowcover. Might be pretty bad by the weekend.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you call the Newberry Chamber of commerce the first part of the message tells us how much snow was on the trails. The second part of the message says. . .
"the trails are CLOSED until December 16th"

A prolonged mussle loading season is the reason as far as I have heard.

Anyone out there with information about this.

Why give the snow conditions if the trails aren't even going to be officially OPEN this weekend yet?

And why are you guys riding iu the UP when the trails in the UP are not open yet?

I don't get it. . . ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Newberry area is indeed closed until this Sunday! That said there are trails in and around the area that are open. The rule of thumb here is if you come across a closed section of trail you are to by no means ride in that area. PERIOD! Your best bet is to trailer further west to Seney and begin from there. There is absolutely no closed trails in that area due to the Muzzle Loading Season!

I am riding this Friday in the Seney - Grand Marias - Munising area! I am awfully concerned about this shitty warm-up were going through and it overall effects on the trail system. I suggest you call to someone who is local to get the lowdown!

·
Registered
74 Posts
FOrgot to tell you that I was up there last weekend and it was fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay away from trail #8 to shingleton, it was not groomed - ouch, yes ouch even on our hotrods!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thanks for the info regarding UP trail closings/openings. Sometimes it's difficult to get the lowdown. I usually don't start riding until Dec 18th. This year was lucky to get out last weekend.

:)

(Would have been out even earlier, but was waiting on my new trailer.)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Went up to Paradise michigan sunday monday and put about 200 miles on. A good foot to two foot with more near the lakeshore. We rode mostly north, the point trails and to rainbow lodge to pine stump. The trails where excellent...smooth and fast. The falls trail was not groomed so it was really bumpy and the trails south through the cedar swamp are surprisingly closed because of open water even with the low temps. I guess the thick layer of snow insulated the wet ground. The F7 ran awesome..the thing pulls just as hard at 60 as it does off the line, and only got faster after the break in tank was gone. Great on gas and oil. Running reg syn amsoil. Handling was surprisingly good even though i havn't put my studs in yet and was running the stock carbides. Does take a little different approach slicing the corners seeing the front end is so light. If you dont shift yer weight up front a little and hang it tends to push. Any goose of the throttle mid corner makes it worse but after awhile I got it down and it was a blast. Shoot hard into the corners, let off the throttle so the front sits, goose it comin out and smile hard. Gonna put some 8"'s up front and dial the ski pressure and it should rock. Stayed at the Paradise inn, formerly the hojo, for 55 bucks weekday rate. Fun time had by all.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
We rode Seney on the 30th and the 1st. The swamps north of seney where not froze yet so we trailered to the first staging area north and it was great. But here in Cadillac it is almost 50 degrees right now so I sure don't know about this weekend? If there is snow it will probably be the only place.

F

·
0 Posts
Any of you's who plan on coming to the U.P. anytime soon because it all melted take my word i live here dont do it waste of time.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts