Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Depends on your definition of 'well'. None of them work real good in the trees. But most are good enough for the ordinary recreational user, certainly better than anything else in a place like the Highlands. Maps, I'm not sure, check with whoever sells the GPS. Probably lots to find on line too.

·
Registered
904 Posts
i have a megellan and theres maps built into it, but it's an american product and all the canadian roads are off, and no detail at all, but it tracks where you go, so pretty much make your own map. I have quite a bit of the highlands stored into mine.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I used my Garmin in the woods for about 500 miles last year. For the most part it never skipped a beat. I did come out of some thick woods and had a "Top MPH" of 245 mph! :augen41: I am kinda fast.....

Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
Originally posted by stuca@Oct 12 2005, 08:38 PM
i'm new to gps want to know if the garmin gps work well in the woods and highlands for snowmolibing and where do you get maps for the gps
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=925432
[/quote]

I know The Cabot Snowmobile club plotted the Highlands with a GPS this summer how much of it I don't know ....Will Know more the first meeting...I use a Garmin Gps have a handle bar mount kit and it works well....Seems like the last little while tho I used it more for testing MPH instead of what I should be using it for

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I did the complete map for the pictou county snowriders with my Garmin GPS about 400 KM of trails. Never had a problem with woods unless it is very thick spruce, I downloaded it all to my computer using Garmins Map Source program. It covers all of Canada and goes down as far as 80 ft you can see all roads and trails that are there. I did notice though that the highlands road are very scant when I was hunting moose. But I believe that is because alot of the roads up in the highlands are newer and not yet on this map. If you go to a spot like lime wire you may find this program to download ,Garmin continues to update Map Source on their web site. I love GPS and will be glad to help out if I can as I use a Garmin rhino 120.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.