Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the meeting minutes on Snowman's website and found some info on GPS tracking for the groomer's. It appears that they are looking into the idea of paying for the KM's groomed.

Maybe Polaris Dave can confirm what the intension is with this trackstick. Is the intension to only pay clubs for the distance they groom? If it is, this should motivate clubs to groom so they will be paid and the users will get a proper trail system. I hate to think of what some of the clubs do with the extra cash from not grooming time after time. Perhaps this is why some of the clubs are resisting grooming..... so they can pay for their groomer and eventually sell the groomer once they suggest they can't keep afloat.

If Snoman would update their meeting minutes maybe we would know the outcome of this situation. The meeting minutes haven't been updated for 3.5 months now. They ask us to be involved by volunteering our time and yet they can't keep us up to date with what they are doing. I guess they want us to be involved on their terms only. Perhaps if they communicated in a POSITIVE way with us we wouldn't be asking as many questions.

Give this a read(Quoted from the Snoman Web Site):

Jan 8 2007
7. GPS Presentation – Mr. Brad Wall of the Lee River Snow Riders was requested
by the board of directors to provide a presentation on Passive GPS tracking.

Feb 9 2007
13. Trackstick – A. Cuthbert (Central) has researched cost for Trackstick which
seems reasonable. E. Smelski (Manitoba Conservation) stated Whiteshell has
purchased one from Ontario. Recommendations from Conservation are to
download information every day, with short intervals. Motion made to purchase
five tracksticks (one for each region) after consultation for best price – A. Wyborn
(Western)/A. Cuthbert (Central). Carried.

March 19 2007
9. Trackstick – D. Stokes (Exec. Dir.) thanked all participating clubs for their
assistance with the Trackstick. The general consensus received of the Trackstick
data was as follows:
-information is very easy to download and utilize
-tracksticks were generally recommended by all clubs who used them
-hydro lines seem to have interference with Tracksticks
Decision made to test the Trackstick further where hydro lines are present.
Trackstick to be sent to the North be used by C. Smook (North). Tabled.

April 16 2007
15. Tracksticks – Tracksticks were tested by the North where hydro lines are present.
The North was pleased with the trackstick units. Previous concerns were raised
with hydroline interference however the Northern trail did not encounter any
problems/interference. The Interlake Region was also pleased with the trackstick
units as well. Motion made for prices on 50-75 tracksticks to be obtained – W.
Vandersteen (Interlake)/C. Smook (North). Carried. ACTION: T. Schindel
(Central)/D. Stokes (Exec. Dir.) to obtain prices for 50-75 trackstick units.
Trackstick Committee to be formed consisting of at least one representative
from each region with the following board members: A. Cuthbert (Central),
J. Park (Eastern), D. Mozil (Eastern) – tentative, J. Thievin (Interlake), W.
Vandersteen (Interlake), C. Smook (North), A. Wyborn (Western) with the
first meeting to commence May 14, 2007 before the Snoman Inc. Board
Meeting.

May 14 2007
15. Trails/Funding/Trackstick Committee Report – First meeting of the Funding
Formula Committee May 14, 2007 appointing Joe Thievin as Chair. The objective
of Funding Formula Committee is the implementation of a funding model that
will allow all clubs to fund the designated trail system across the province. Seven
criteria were established: mandatory trackstick implementation to be carried out
during the winter of 2007/2008 to supplement grooming log accuracy; groomer
classification/width/standardized kilometer counting; consistent signage; links &
loops; Provincial Development Fund (establish criteria); base amount of funding;
basic rate per kilometer. Intentions of final recommendations to be presented at
the September 2007 meeting. Regional representatives to inform RSA`s of
recommendations with hopes of adoption of recommendations by Snoman Inc.
board by October 2007. Next Funding Formula Committee meeting June 18, 2007
at 12:00 noon with lunch served.

June 18 2007
13. Trackstick Purchase – As requested by Snoman Inc., the quote for 75 tracksticks
has been received. Recommendations by board to obtain further information such
as warranty, commitment, etc. ACTION: D. Stokes, Executive Director to
obtain further information requested by the board in regards to the quote for
75 tracksticks.

Aug 20 2007
13. Tracksticks – As requested, the tracksticks have been ordered and received and
will be distributed with instructions for the current season. All clubs will receive
one trackstick provided by Snoman Inc. (form required to be filled out as to the
person responsible for the trackstick) with the second trackstick to be purchased
by the club. Request Form of second trackstick will be required to be filled out.
ACTION: Joe Thievin (Interlake) to design trackstick manual and forms as
mentioned above for the current season to be distributed hopefully with the
current season’s snopasses.

Sept 17 2007
14. Trackstick Plus – Operating Manual – Applicable member clubs belonging to
Snoman Inc. will receive one Trackstick Plus provided by Snoman Inc. for the
2007/2008 season, along with a Trackstick Plus operating manual.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
I've been reading the meeting minutes on Snowman's website and found some info on GPS tracking for the groomer's. It appears that they are looking into the idea of paying for the KM's groomed.

Maybe Polaris Dave can confirm what the intension is with this trackstick. Is the intension to only pay clubs for the distance they groom? If it is, this should motivate clubs to groom so they will be paid and the users will get a proper trail system. I hate to think of what some of the clubs do with the extra cash from not grooming time after time. Perhaps this is why some of the clubs are resisting grooming..... so they can pay for their groomer and eventually sell the groomer once they suggest they can't keep afloat.

If Snoman would update their meeting minutes maybe we would know the outcome of this situation. The meeting minutes haven't been updated for 3.5 months now. They ask us to be involved by volunteering our time and yet they can't keep us up to date with what they are doing. I guess they want us to be involved on their terms only. Perhaps if they communicated in a POSITIVE way with us we wouldn't be asking as many questions.

Jan 8 2007
7. GPS Presentation – Mr. Brad Wall of the Lee River Snow Riders was requested
by the board of directors to provide a presentation on Passive GPS tracking.

Feb 9 2007
13. Trackstick – A. Cuthbert (Central) has researched cost for Trackstick which
seems reasonable. E. Smelski (Manitoba Conservation) stated Whiteshell has
purchased one from Ontario. Recommendations from Conservation are to
download information every day, with short intervals. Motion made to purchase
five tracksticks (one for each region) after consultation for best price – A. Wyborn
(Western)/A. Cuthbert (Central). Carried.

March 19 2007
9. Trackstick – D. Stokes (Exec. Dir.) thanked all participating clubs for their
assistance with the Trackstick. The general consensus received of the Trackstick
data was as follows:
-information is very easy to download and utilize
-tracksticks were generally recommended by all clubs who used them
-hydro lines seem to have interference with Tracksticks
Decision made to test the Trackstick further where hydro lines are present.
Trackstick to be sent to the North be used by C. Smook (North). Tabled.

April 16 2007
15. Tracksticks – Tracksticks were tested by the North where hydro lines are present.
The North was pleased with the trackstick units. Previous concerns were raised
with hydroline interference however the Northern trail did not encounter any
problems/interference. The Interlake Region was also pleased with the trackstick
units as well. Motion made for prices on 50-75 tracksticks to be obtained – W.
Vandersteen (Interlake)/C. Smook (North). Carried. ACTION: T. Schindel
(Central)/D. Stokes (Exec. Dir.) to obtain prices for 50-75 trackstick units.
Trackstick Committee to be formed consisting of at least one representative
from each region with the following board members: A. Cuthbert (Central),
J. Park (Eastern), D. Mozil (Eastern) – tentative, J. Thievin (Interlake), W.
Vandersteen (Interlake), C. Smook (North), A. Wyborn (Western) with the
first meeting to commence May 14, 2007 before the Snoman Inc. Board
Meeting.

May 14 2007
15. Trails/Funding/Trackstick Committee Report – First meeting of the Funding
Formula Committee May 14, 2007 appointing Joe Thievin as Chair. The objective
of Funding Formula Committee is the implementation of a funding model that
will allow all clubs to fund the designated trail system across the province. Seven
criteria were established: mandatory trackstick implementation to be carried out
during the winter of 2007/2008 to supplement grooming log accuracy; groomer
classification/width/standardized kilometer counting; consistent signage; links &
loops; Provincial Development Fund (establish criteria); base amount of funding;
basic rate per kilometer. Intentions of final recommendations to be presented at
the September 2007 meeting. Regional representatives to inform RSA`s of
recommendations with hopes of adoption of recommendations by Snoman Inc.
board by October 2007. Next Funding Formula Committee meeting June 18, 2007
at 12:00 noon with lunch served.

June 18 2007
13. Trackstick Purchase – As requested by Snoman Inc., the quote for 75 tracksticks
has been received. Recommendations by board to obtain further information such
as warranty, commitment, etc. ACTION: D. Stokes, Executive Director to
obtain further information requested by the board in regards to the quote for
75 tracksticks.

Aug 20 2007
13. Tracksticks – As requested, the tracksticks have been ordered and received and
will be distributed with instructions for the current season. All clubs will receive
one trackstick provided by Snoman Inc. (form required to be filled out as to the
person responsible for the trackstick) with the second trackstick to be purchased
by the club. Request Form of second trackstick will be required to be filled out.
ACTION: Joe Thievin (Interlake) to design trackstick manual and forms as
mentioned above for the current season to be distributed hopefully with the
current season’s snopasses.
Sept 17 2007
14. Trackstick Plus – Operating Manual – Applicable member clubs belonging to
Snoman Inc. will receive one Trackstick Plus provided by Snoman Inc. for the
2007/2008 season, along with a Trackstick Plus operating manual.[/b]
You should join Snoman if you have all the answers, or buy one of these and you do not have to worry about groomers and sno passes anymore.
I am just grateful that all the volunteers and club members who make a difference, don't read all this shit because if you keep it up no one will want to do anything for trails in MB.

·
Registered
86 Posts
As far as I know the track sticks are in use this year.[/b]
All groomers are equiped with the trackstick & have to be in use this season. Talk is so far we will be paid by the k's the groomer does. Eastern region clubs all have 2 tracksticks in there groomers, 1 for backup. We have no problems with ours. Its a easy tool to use. About $300 ea

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
This should be the bassis for the enitre funding formula. Maybe then certain clubs wouldn't be putting up 500 square foot rest shacks that are accessed only by their moguled to shit trail. Ahem, not mentioning any names.....

·
Banned
17,243 Posts
Seems like the track sticks are a good idea. And for those of you complaining that the groomers aren't out enough, we need snow in certain areas.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Would be a BIG BONUS to be able to get some (first hand) GPS datum for the trails...less worry on missing signage..if ur not from the area....

·
Registered
490 Posts
That is what I was thinking. If snowman collects all GPS data from these groomers it would be nothing to compile the information and have it for tourists to the area to know where they are going. I know I plan on riding somewhere around Swan River and Madge Lake and I would love to have that information on my GPS before I even got there.

·
Registered
3 Posts

If you really want to know about being involved and finding out more information on what is happening with grooming, and track sticks you could attend your local snowmobile club meetings. If you want to know about funds and how they are spent and whether there are excess funds you could attend a club meeting. All of this is discussed during the meetings and the meetings are open to whoever wants to attend.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

If you really want to know about being involved and finding out more information on what is happening with grooming, and track sticks you could attend your local snowmobile club meetings. If you want to know about funds and how they are spent and whether there are excess funds you could attend a club meeting. All of this is discussed during the meetings and the meetings are open to whoever wants to attend.[/b]
Clubs will be paid a dollar value per km groomed. Trails must also be groomed a minimum number of times. Some clubs will benefit and others will lose. Right now the playing field is not level with clubs getting rewarded based on # of Snopass sales, with less to no regard for distance groomed and amount of traffic on the trail. There are many trails which could stand to be groomed twice weekly in the eastern region.
Clubs now have two years to meet the minimum mileage requirement (get approval to add trail or join forces with other clubs). Some clubs are currently unwilling to cooperate/work together, which is very unfortunate.
I'm not sure if the trackstick data is accurate enough for mapping, but it would sure be nice because our Eastern map seems to be getting worse with more mistakes every year. Most clubs are now posting more accurate maps on their own websites.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I think that this is a great idea, and to me it shows that Snoman is at least trying to make things better, that's a very good sign. I'm sure that there are details to work out, since I can just imagine that every mile groomed is not equal and we certainly don't want to reward the clubs that groom dull, straight, flat trails at the expense of more hilly and twisty areas, but I'm more than willing to let people that know a heck of a lot more about those issues than I ever will sort them out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts