Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you mean a base map,with magellan before you can upload to the gps you have to use your serial #,but you can create a base map in mapsend topo and save it to hard drive and upload that .imi file to your sd card,I do it all the time,the nice thi ng about the sd card is that you can save all your track histories and routes for future trips,my mapsend topo doesnt show support within the program for the explorist,or i havent figured out how to do it yet, so thats how ive been putting in the topo maps

·
Registered
72 Posts
Magellan Maps come on a dvd and they only work with one GPS unit. You have to match the serial number of the GPS unit to the CD-Key on the software. Garmin has a multiple licence option with their offering but Magellan doesn't at this point. You'll have to cough up some money to get the maps on your GPS + You might need a SD card if you want to hold all of NA on the device.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Magellan Maps come on a dvd and they only work with one GPS unit. You have to match the serial number of the GPS unit to the CD-Key on the software. Garmin has a multiple licence option with their offering but Magellan doesn't at this point. You'll have to cough up some money to get the maps on your GPS + You might need a SD card if you want to hold all of NA on the device.[/b]
How can that be? Maybe if you buy the package deal.
I bought topo Canada from e-bay, and it's working on my 600 XL now?
There was no CD key, but I did have to input my serial number.
I assume I could not send this file to someone else to use due to the serial number embedded in the .img file.
I should however be able to use this disk on another GPS, just maybe not on this pc.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nope. Tried it last night and it doesn't work.

Even if you have a seperate pc and second gps unit (same model) the software has measures that prevent it from being used twice.

Once you use the unlock code you need to connect to your Magellan online account (where your gps is registered), the unlock and gps then sync up.
We looked for a option for multiple licencing but there isn't one. It looks like you need to buy a different DVD per purchase.

Our last attempt, we copied one section of the map onto the registered gps unit's SD card, then swapped it out to the other gps - no joy, card error!

I'm understand most of Magellan's bread and butter comes from software but man, make it easier to do multiple licencing..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts