Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to mount a GPS to my 2015 ZR SP 9000 however I don't know shit about all these GPSs and prices are all over the board, all I want it a reliable mapping GPS with like a 5" screen to find my way back as riding in the dark without GPS can be challenging for me. I'm looking for feedback recommendations on a dependable GPS or what you guy's have used, any recordation's would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 XCR 850
139 Posts
+1 on hitting up eBay or Craiglist/Kijiji/pawnshop for a Nuvi 5X series. I've had a Nuvi 50 and 58. Paid around $20-30 for each. They do a great job. I always take clear silicon and fill all the cracks and the edge of the screen where it meets the bezel to add some extra waterproofing to them. If you can find one though try a Nuvi 65. It's a 6" display which doesn't seem like much of a difference but bouncing along on a trail is very helpful to have the extra screen real estate.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Garmin Zumo 396 lmt-s I like it because I can put a SD card for the trails and shut off all other map's and set the unit to off road.
Everything comes right up from trail numbers to intersections. I use the same unit on my motorcycle,car and OHRV. It's Bluetooth ready so I can get directions in my helmet if I choose to do so.
New England GPS sells unit's already loaded with map's so that's another option.

·
Registered
2014 ZR8000lxr 19-20 mileage = 904.5
4,377 Posts
On a Turbo cat the only one I'd use is a Izzni gauge as it's integrated into the sled electronics and they are just like getting a factory installed unit from other manufacturers. I've had mine on since he started making them. I've had both the smaller screen unit and now have the larger one. Bigger is BETTER ! Love it.

IMO of course

·
Administrator
900T XRS
275 Posts
I did the same as bobob.
Harmon Nuvi from eBay and some purchased maps, works great & was cheap!
Speedometer Vehicle Automotive design Steering part Motor vehicle
Automotive lighting Vehicle Car Automotive mirror Automotive design

·
Registered
647 Posts
On a Turbo cat the only one I'd use is a Izzni gauge as it's integrated into the sled electronics and they are just like getting a factory installed unit from other manufacturers. I've had mine on since he started making them. I've had both the smaller screen unit and now have the larger one. Bigger is BETTER ! Love it.

IMO of course
do you have any pictures of this set up on your sled?

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I have a old nuvi on the sled with a ram mount and vv mapping.

One thing I dont like about the old nuvi is there is no way to create a route ahead of time. And you can only make one waypoint if I remember right. I just bought a Garmin Drive 50 for 40 bucks on eBay. That has a trip planner. Something I will use before trips. Also if you create a route on the spot, you can easily go to the map to make a longer route to your destination with as many waypoints as you want. Its also faster than the nuvi.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Four things you need to look at . Smart supply , plug and play power supply . Rocztoys.com best power supply ever. I have one on every sled . Next 6” Garmin Nuvi used off eBay . Next a Ram Ball mount that screws down to your dash . I’ve tried glue on or self stick mounts and they never hold up long . VV- mapping or Red Pine mapping. I prefer to buy the pre loaded SD card so I can change GPS units if I need to .

·
Registered
823 Posts
@MuscleD I believe you can use Garmin Basecamp on a laptop to create a route ahead of time and add as many waypoints as you like ? There are lots of youtube videos on this. I need to get back into learning this stuff as I purchased VVMapping Great Lakes maps but our area (NWPA) is not covered. I talked to VVMapping about GPS our local clubs trails (50+) miles and they were on board to create a club map. However after I went and tracked the trail system and started fiddling in Base Camp to clean up the data point, sent a draft of the data to them ... VVMapping went radio silence on me :-(

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
@MuscleD I believe you can use Garmin Basecamp on a laptop to create a route ahead of time and add as many waypoints as you like ? There are lots of youtube videos on this. I need to get back into learning this stuff as I purchased VVMapping Great Lakes maps but our area (NWPA) is not covered. I talked to VVMapping about GPS our local clubs trails (50+) miles and they were on board to create a club map. However after I went and tracked the trail system and started fiddling in Base Camp to clean up the data point, sent a draft of the data to them ... VVMapping went radio silence on me :-(
Yeah I use base camp. The problem is the early nuvis have no function to save a route. Maybe the later nuvis have that function.

The Drive you can make a route on the fly using the GPS. VV mapping might be a comany that doesnt do much in the summer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Glovebox extension relocate lid and mount for gps. Drivesmart.garmin and trak maps. I've bought it just need to put it on.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 ZR 9000 Ltd and 2020 Thundercat 9000
984 Posts
Going to mount a GPS to my 2015 ZR SP 9000 however I don't know shit about all these GPSs and prices are all over the board, all I want it a reliable mapping GPS with like a 5" screen to find my way back as riding in the dark without GPS can be challenging for me. I'm looking for feedback recommendations on a dependable GPS or what you guy's have used, any recordation's would be appreciated.

Thanks
Cat is offering this sweet setup for a Garmin GPS this year. Not sure how it would fit 2015 but I’m sure it would. Nice clean look. See link below:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts