Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need Help from all you HCS experts! I don't know anything about gps systems. I got two for x-mas and my wife says one has to go back, the question is which one do i keep!!

Like to mount on my snowmobile.

1. Is a Garmin Etrex Legend

2nd is a Magellan Explorist 500 LE

Any info on either would be great...

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I have a Garmin 60CS. A buddy has the 500 explorist. It is a nice unit. If you can get trail maps for where you ride that can be loaded into it, I would keep it. I think the Magellan has a lot more features compared to that particular Garmin.

·
Super Advanced Member
3,369 Posts
I have the Explorist 600. Awesome unit and with the SD card feature it has unlimited memory. I believe it's waterproof to a certain depth but not entirely sure. Very nice and compact. Chews up the battery power quite fast on trips though. Definately get the cigarette lighter power adapter. Really can do some neat things with mapquest although I never took the time to learn.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you keep the magellan go buy the rechargeable battery for it,I have the 5oo and am loving it,the user manual sucks and there is a betterone on the magellan site,it has the best antenna for punching thru canopy cover of any magellan ive owned,with the sd card you can store all your track histories and routes you make which is a great feature

·
Premium Member
9,814 Posts
bring them both back and get a garmin 76cs with a ram mount and 12 volt adapter and hook it into your sled....not a big fan of any magellin product and the 76cs has a huge memory (i have one and love it on and off road) no card needed

buy the topo software on ebay -- its really cheap on there

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have Magellan (Meridian Platinum) and Garmin (eTrex). Would take the Garmins any day of the week and twice on Sunday over my Magellan. The Garmin is just plain easier to operate...more intuitive IMO.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I just got a Megellan Explorist 210 for Christmas today from my mom and when I put batterys in it and turned it on all I get is a Orange screen and no menu to do anything with, Guess its going back for a new one since it is screwed up right from the get go

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
I have the Explorist 600. Awesome unit and with the SD card feature it has unlimited memory. I believe it's waterproof to a certain depth but not entirely sure. Very nice and compact. Chews up the battery power quite fast on trips though. Definately get the cigarette lighter power adapter. Really can do some neat things with mapquest although I never took the time to learn.[/b]

i had the magelland sportrak pro.....i liked it alot. however, the cheapo cigarette lighter adapter kept burning up....they do not like power-spikes that most sleds produce. i went through 4 at 20 bucks a piece before i gave up and sold everything. if you're going to ride a night you'll mant a power adapter...it'll allow you to leave the backlight on the whole time.

i'd see if the garmin's lighter adapter is more robust than the magelland...use the more....robust one!!!!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I had the opportunity to use a Magellan Explorist 400 for a month while I GPSed all of the trails in our county. Then I purchased an Etrex Legend for my personal use. Myself, I like the Garmin much better. Smaller unit, faster at loading saved track info, screen updates faster when zooming in and out.

The only plus on the Explorist was the display was a little bigger and I liked the backlit color better. But overall, the Garmin gets my vote.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Return both of them and get the GARMIN Vista CX. The Legend CX, Venture CX and the Vista CX are all good. The vista CX is the best of the 3. It has two additional features the other 2 don't. One is an electronic compass so if you lose your satelite signal in the woods you can resort to old school navigation. THe other feature is a barametric altimeter, which I personally dont have a use for but its there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.