Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My almost 13 year old wants a quad and is a beginner. He has been riding CRF70 but doesn't like it with the amount of deep sand that we have. What is a good quad choice? The state recommends 90cc for under 16 but they are all physically to small. I don't want anything to fast. I am thinking 250cc. I had been looking for Honda Recons but nothing seems to come up. I usually try to buy kids machines in the 10-15 years old range so keep that in mind with your suggestions.

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,475 Posts
I got my son a 06 Polaris Trailblazer 250 for $1600. Hes 11, and likes it a lot. I can ride it also.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I'd be prone to getting him a sport quad. Learning to shift is a good thing IMO and will be doing the same for mine in 2 years. 11 now and can't reach the shifter on the 700xx....which is probably a good thing as that is more machine than I would put him on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My son has been riding a Kymco Mongoose 250 since he was 12. Great little sport quad with no shifting. It is also liquid cooled. It's the same quad as the bombardier 250. Tops out in the low 40's. He is now 17 and will be riding a suzuki ltz 400

·
Registered
931 Posts
I was going to buy my 7 year old son a 90cc quad and knew he would outgrow it too soon. I bought him a 300 DVX and it worked out great. He could barely reach the stirrups. It has a screw on the throttle and I had it turned down for a long time. He is 16 now and still rides great, it will go 55 mph.
Video of my son when he was 7.

·
Registered
19,983 Posts
The 300 cat/kymco atv. It is kinda a mid sized wheeler in physical size, they are cheap and reliable. It would be perfect for a 13 year old.

·
Registered
211 Posts
We have a Brute Force 300 at home and it has been surprisingly fun to trail ride, even in mud and snow. It was suppose to be used around the yard for pulling small trailers and wood splitter but its so versatile that it ends up being driven more than any of our other machines. Great for younger drivers because of the weight, size and manageable power.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Get him a Yamaha Blaster. Will learn him how to use body english and grow up to be a great rider on all recreational vehicles. Just takes a day or two to learn the clutching.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts