Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home from baseball practice after school today (yes we still have plenty of snow to ride, practice is in the gym) I see a guy parked in the middle of the lake. His sled stopped running, not quite sure what happened but being the friendly snowmobiler that I am, I told him to pull the belt and I'd be back in about 20 minutes. Rode 8 miles home grabbed a tow rope, rode 8 miles back to the middle of the Mascome lake and towed him to his truck. He offered me money but I denied and he thanked me and I was on my way home again. Learned a valuable lesson, always carry the tow rope with ya, coulda saved me 16 valuable miles on my old beat up doo. We need some more friendly people on the trails, on my way to school one day I went off the trail to get into some powder because of low loose snow conditions I was runnin hot, and as you might have guessed, I buried it. I walked 1/2 mile to school and it was 5 degrees out in only pants, my jacket and helmet. After school I walked back to my snowmobile and started tuggin. Two guys rode by, one on a zl 800 and another on a zr 600 as a 14 year old boy pulled on a 500 pound sled in 2 feet of powder. Took me a lot of diggin and a lot of time b4 I got it out. A little more courtesy on the trails?

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I agree with you. More courtesy would help our image. Last week in the Soo, a 80 year old woman got lost and turned on to a snowmobile trail. While trying to turn around on the trail, she backed off the trail into 3 feet of powder. We came up on her and tried to push her out but she was bottomed out bad. I rode my sled and got a guy with a 4x4 and he came and pulled her out. After I was think about hooking up my F7 and my girlfriends sled and try to pull her out. That would be funny. Keep it up all you good samaritan snowmobilers out there.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard more complaints about snowmobilers, soon this is gonna do us in and close some trails. Be nice, slow down when someone is snow shoeing, or x-country skiing, waveto them, I mean what the hell, you don't need to go 90 by them and make them eat your snow dust, theres just the few out there that are giving us a bad rep...

·
Registered
732 Posts
the same thing happend to my kinda. the last blizzard we had in febuary . i was riding my sled alone b.c my dad was plowing and i went across a rode and tried to cross over a snow drift but got stuck. there was nobody on the rodes but by doumb luck this guy in a truck came and helped me get out wish more people would be like that. and the next day i was being smart and rode with my dad he got stuck in the vary same spot but there was more snow b.c when i got stuck the blizzard waz only 3/4 of the way done. luckly i didnt follow him b.c i knew i would get stuck. a nehbor had to plow the drift with his big tractor to get him out and make a path for us to cross over. i dont think it was all the snows fault b.c my dad has a yamie :p

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Colt..... you sure don't sound like a 14 yr old kid there. You have the right idea. from what i've seen over the yrs, snowmobilers are some of the friendliest people out there, but due to its ever increasing popularity, we have everybody and their brother riding now!!! respect landowners, go slow through peoples yards, etc etc,,,, common courtesy will keep us riding for many more years. (i hope)

·
Registered
129 Posts
My husband and I were out riding in NY near Penn Mountain a couple of weeks ago. We came around a curve, and there was a vehicle stuck in the trail about 500 feet off the road! She was buried in about 8 inches of soft stuff, but pushing didn't work.
Finally my husband hooked his tow rope to the front of the small suv, and I got in it, and gave it gas. We got the lady out using the sled! Amazing how much power these sleds have!!! :wub: :wub:

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
I always carry a tow strap. I have lent a few out in the past and never got them back. I also keep a rope in the sled to "lend" to someone when I know I won't get it back. Always carry a folding saw too makes neat work of bushes when someone is stuck off trail. I also carry a small socket set.
Stuff to carry:
Tow Strap
Rope
Leatherman
Small Maglight
First Aid Kit
Siphon Hose
Folding Saw
Matches/lighter

·
Registered
188 Posts
thanks to the guy in the U.P. who ever you are........my camera bag with my 35mm nikon and new digital camera fell off from the back of my wifes 2 up sled, a unknown sledder chased her down for about 3 miles and gave it back to us! THATS COOL! THANKS ;) A MILLION!!!!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
This is a nice thread. The saturday after last, I was riding around outside of town and I saw this little nissan pathinder (pre-'95) and a light truck off-roading 40 miles into the canadian arctic. They drove by and I continued hillclimbing with my buddies. After a while we went down towards where the trucks headed and found them both stuck. So me and eskimosledder spent an hour and a half trying to get them out. Turns out the owner of the little truck had saved someone from hypothermia the week before in the same area...

·
Registered
835 Posts
I experienced a nice one last Wednesday. We finally got about 6" of snow in North Central Illinois, and my brothers and I were out for a ride. My brothers needed gas, so I stopped and waited on the side of the trail while they rode a short distance to a gas station. After about 10 minutes of waiting on the side of the trail, I heard a sled coming and thought it was one of my brothers coming back. It turned out to be a guy that looked to be in his late sixties or early seventies on an old John Deere Liquifire. He lived in a house near the trail, and when he and his wife returned from the store, he spotted me with my hood up when I was checking my oil level. He walked out to his barn, grabbed his tow rope, and rode out to see if I needed a tow. I thanked him, and told him I was OK, and just waiting for my brothers. We sat and talked about sleds and everything else in the 10 more minutes until my brothers got back, and then the four of us talked some more. Just goes to show that snowmobilers are generally good people. We just need to make people realize that a few bad ones are nothing compared to the many good ones. This guy was not the healthiest guy in the world, but he got on his sled and rode out there in some cold weather to check on a complete stranger's situation. I hope I am this type of person when I am 60 or 70. :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
One good thing to remember...it could happen to you. When you see someone buried, or stopped with a break down, would it be so bad to just offer a hand? When I was riding with my hubby, we had to turn around on the trail and go back for my brother in law...he turned around first without looking to see if I had turned around okay...he took off...!!! Well, I was stuck....I was tuggin on my firecat, trying like hell to get it turned around, and I did, but 3 different guys stopped to make sure I was okay. I gave them thumbs up, and that restored my faith that there are still courteous riders out there...even if my hubby isn't one of them. :angry:

·
Registered
732 Posts
another thing happend and lucky me and otheres gave some help up in new york this guy was sitting on the side of the trail and talking with others when suddely his sled just collapesed. the snow from udentnit gave out and he ended up going into a small crick. i went over and saw that and i said o my god some body must be dead. but luckly nothing like that happend. so me and my group of riders and others helped get him out of about a ten foot drop. it took about twenty people.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was riding my '02 MXz500 (before I totalled it) in about 3-4 ft of fresh NY powder. I was looking for the turnoff form the road to the trail I planned to go on and got bogged down in a 6 ft drift. 5 Minutes later someone comes by with an old SD touring sled and just blew right by, I was positive he was going to stopped--just looked at me and drove off. Finally got the sled unburied after about 45 minutes and followed his tracks since he went the same way I wanted to go and no more than 1/2 mile down the trail, there he was stuck. I was considering just doing the same as he did to me, but I figured, help him out, it might teach him something. He was burried worse than I was but we got the sled out in about 5 minutes, hope he learned his lesson <_<. I'm only 14 as well, by the way.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats good, there are countless people that would have done the same to him that he did to you. This kindness catches on though....

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Originally posted by arcticf7@Mar 11 2003, 11:06 AM
One good thing to remember...it could happen to you. When you see someone buried, or stopped with a break down, would it be so bad to just offer a hand? When I was riding with my hubby, we had to turn around on the trail and go back for my brother in law...he turned around first without looking to see if I had turned around okay...he took off...!!! Well, I was stuck....I was tuggin on my firecat, trying like hell to get it turned around, and I did, but 3 different guys stopped to make sure I was okay. I gave them thumbs up, and that restored my faith that there are still courteous riders out there...even if my hubby isn't one of them. :angry:
You think you got it bad, last winter I was supposed to go on a ride with my parents and another couple(their friends). We got 20 miles from our house and I broke down(while bringing up the rear of course) Nobody even noticed I wasn't there until they got to the town we were riding to, 45 miles later. Needless to say I was very unimpressed with them as I ended up walking 13 miles in full gear before a trapper gave me a ride :wacko:

PS ever want to torture somebody? suit them up and chase them with your sled :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
another thing i do when i go ridin is always go with another person..so they can help me when im stuck or so i can tow them home...haha thats the way its been for me so far...i've towed my friends sxr mountain, indy 340, my brothers 550, my friends 500, so if i wasnt there they would've had to walk a long walk so far i havent had to be towed but i always take a friend before i go riding, in the back pocket thing in the back of the seat i got a damn sharp and strong knife, big box of matches a lighter and some rope...

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
i also carry about a 4 ft length of gas line i have had to use to syphon more than once. and mans greatest tool.... duct tape

1 - 17 of 17 Posts