Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, ive got a 96 zrt600, some clutch work, mostly ride trails. what do u all recommend for a belt? ive always used the stock belt with no problems. jus curious if there is a better belt out there. thnx for any input :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The 020 belt will not fit on a stock 96 zrt clutch.020 was used on 98 and newer clutches.The correct stock belt is a 010.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i run an 010 and it seems tight. there is no slack in belt when installed on sled. the belt rubs in center of clutch and actually pulls the idle down and burns the belt. i had to put a used clutch on last year and this is when i believe my problems occured. the primary is a 9 tower off of an 01 or 02 zr 800 i believe. i just put diff weights and spring in it. would that make a difference? is the 020 a little bit longer? whats the difference? thnx for any help! :banghead:

·
Registered
997 Posts
vforcezrt

The wieghts and springs would make no difference at idle. If it sqeals then the center to center is to long or more likely the secondary needs to have some shims installed in the center. How much of the belt is sticking out of the secondary after spinning the track with the belt installed? Sounds like more than an 1/8". A good friend of mine always ran the 020 belt on his 96-zrt 600. If I remember correctly the belts are the same length but the width is different. The best thing to do is make sure your center to center is set. Should be 12.250 center of crank to center of jack shaft. Then adjust the seconday to have the belt stick up out approx. 1/8" by adding or taking out shims (washers) between the to clutch sheves. Hope this helps. Let us know.

·
Registered
124 Posts
get a clutch tool alot of your power can be lost with your center to center being off, or the off set being wrong. I got my clutch alignment tool for 35.00 from cat dealer works on all cats and you sometimes will be amazed how far things can get out of whack. you only have to take off the secondary to check center to center and only take the belt off to check off set. I have always ran a 20 belt on my 96, and 97 Zrt with no problems and prefer this belt I have never heard of using a 10 belt. Make sure your belt runs 1/8 above the secondary this gives you the best starting ratio to get out of the hole and hang on!! Happy New Year!

·
Registered
997 Posts
There are 2 styles to use. One is placed on the primary clutch and onto the jack shaft without disasembling anything except for removing te secondary.The other you bolt into the crank after taking off the primary and slide one end over the jack shaft. For trail applications the first should be the easiest and most practical. You can find them in HPE or some of the mail order catologs and some of the advertisers of this site. These tools also double to check clutch alignment.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i wrenched on her last nite, installed my 57/50 helix and red/white arcticcat secondary spring. put in my bm orange primary spring. my deflection was way tight. there was none,lol. only prob was that the belt was only up outta the secondary about 1/16 of an inch. my friend, older guy who i bought sled from helped me set deflection and offset. only problem is that he didnt know how to set the center to center distance. i finally got deflection ok, but the belt is sitting even with top of secondary which i know is incorrect. how do u adjust center to center distance? 12.25inches i think u all said right?. thnx for help. with that orange primary she engages at bout 5500 in a stone driveway. hope its a lil easier in the snow. first time the zerts front end ever picked up over 2 ft! :beerchug: i think i need heavier weights tho. only 50 grammers right now. gonna get some 52 and 54 and try em. buddy gave me 55g polaris weights to try to, n maybe grind down if needed. thnx all

·
Registered
124 Posts
take apart secondary and remove the thin shim and you should be about an 1/8 above the top of the secondary. get a tool to set center to center alot of power can be lost with this being off once you do this run her and have fun. center to center is 12.2 :snowfall: :i_need_snow: :titties: :bounce:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey all, how do i adjust the center to center. does the motor move back and forth or sumthing? ive never done it before? thnx for help!

·
Registered
365 Posts
hey all, how do i adjust the center to center. does the motor move back and forth or sumthing? ive never done it before? thnx for help![/b]
look at #24 on the pic.... add or remove those shims to get into spec....
[attachment=281996:0731_882_s.gif]
BM...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts