Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure this is the right place for this thread, but I figured more folks in the know would see it here than anywhere else. Mods feel free to move this if it's better placed elsewhere.

In June '06 I bought a new Denali & opted for the upgraded OEM chrome wheels instead of the base aluminum option. The vehicle did not have these rims on it as delivered to the dealer but they were added as an upgrade before I took delivery & they are on the bill of sale.

These wheels are now starting to flake the chrome plating, starting at the base of the lug nuts & working outward.

My dealer's interpretation of the warranty is that these are an over the counter item & only covered by a 1 yr warr. instead of the vehicle's 3 yr/36k warr.

I'm inclined to think differently since I purchased them as part of the vehicle.

Is the dealer right on this one???

·
Registered
11,394 Posts
Not sure this is the right place for this thread, but I figured more folks in the know would see it here than anywhere else. Mods feel free to move this if it's better placed elsewhere.

In June '06 I bought a new Denali & opted for the upgraded OEM chrome wheels instead of the base aluminum option. The vehicle did not have these rims on it as delivered to the dealer but they were added as an upgrade before I took delivery & they are on the bill of sale.

These wheels are now starting to flake the chrome plating, starting at the base of the lug nuts & working outward.

My dealer's interpretation of the warranty is that these are an over the counter item & only covered by a 1 yr warr. instead of the vehicle's 3 yr/36k warr.

I'm inclined to think differently since I purchased them as part of the vehicle.

Is the dealer right on this one???[/b]
well are they GM wheels if so they are 3/36

·
Registered
345 Posts

If that is the case I would write a letter to the complaint department at GM and be detailed about what happened, what you will do if its not fixed, and what will make you happy. Don't tell them that you will never buy a GM vehicle again, that leaves no incentive for them to help you. I have received free plane tickets, patagonia jacket(the zipper went bad after 5 years of heavy use), and a lot of other stuff from 10 minute letters. Give it a try and you maybe surprised.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

I wont advertise the dealer, but I have purchased TWO brand new vehicles in my life. The first one treated me like gold, the few warranty issues, including a complete trans rebuild was completed, and I drove a dealership vehicle for a long weekend while mine was in for repair.

The second vehicle has had numerous issues. I moved away from the dealer I purchased from. I have taken my vehicle to two other dealerships, and the bottom line? My extended service warranty doesnt cover anything. Funny, it did on the first vehicle at the first dealership. So I am thinking a good dealer takes care of you, and a punk dealer lets you swim once he makes the sale. It's on to another "sucker".

I would find a new dealer next time in addition to the suggestions above.

·
Registered
669 Posts
In my opinion, GM OEM factory options should be covered with the 3/36 warranty, however if this was a dealer offered wheel package then it wouldn't be.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If they are over the counter add on accessories they would be 12/12. Since they are dealer installed and part of the deal they should fall under the 3/36. Even the accessory wheels are covered under the 3/36, heck they would be 4/50 if you ponied up for a Caddy.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help everybody! I put in several calls this morning, including one to GMs warr. dept. It looks like zrtcat99 & snogirl are right.

GM warr. rep says as long as the vehicle was delivered to me with these wheels on & they are on the bill of sale, that they are included in the 3/36 coverage.

The only ways they would not be covered is if they were purchased after taking delivery of the vehicle or if the problem is determined by the dealer to not be a defect for some reason.

Gotta love good news on snowy friday morning :flag_usa:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I dont know what chroming process GM uses, but it stinks. Every single vehicle I've had from them lately with chrome wheels, had the chrome peeling in less than 2 years. One was never even driven in the salt. Never had a problem with quality aftermarket wheels, however.

·
Registered
332 Posts
GM/Ford/Chrysler and all of the others do not make, plate, polish, manufacturer wheels. They are all made by the same companies that make the aftermarket ones. If they are peeling it is because of the process or lack thereof of the manufacturer.

·
Registered
647 Posts
....and a lot of that wheel manufacturing business is now in China!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
GM/Ford/Chrysler and all of the others do not make, plate, polish, manufacturer wheels. They are all made by the same companies that make the aftermarket ones. If they are peeling it is because of the process or lack thereof of the manufacturer.[/b]
When i said "the process GM uses", i meant their supplier...they obviously don't manufacture their own wheels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts