Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its getting to that time for me to pick out a college that i am going to want to go to. I am planning to be a mechcanical engineer and was wondering if Arctic Cat recommends any colleges? Or if they hire from certain ones? So far i am thinking about Michigan Tech Univ. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Even though this is not a technical question....I am glad this young man posted and encourage GLS to give his opinion.

·
Registered
244 Posts
MTU, the best engineering college in the states!!!!, plus you'll have great snow to ride on every winter :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
MTU THE BEST? HAHAHA How about MIT, Univ of Michigan, Cal-Berkely, and Univ of Minnesota? MTU is a long ways back from these leaders. Univ of Minnesota has one of the top ME programs in the nation.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't forget about the snow factor in these areas if you like to ride. College days weren't too far back for me and I remember what the funds were like. Tough to pay for many roadtrips to find snow. Here in Minnesota is a prime example, put mabye 200 miles here last winter, and I live here!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Michigan Tech in Houghton MI,

Great Riding and 2nd best Engineering school in the country.

If you want the best MIT Mass Institute of Technologies.

I`m going to Alexandria Tech next in Aug for the Marine and Small Engines Program. But thats not engineering thats service.

·
Registered
47 Posts
high octane
I don't know if I am qualified to make these suggestion's, primarily because I didn't go to college. In fact as I've told some of my friends many times, the only thing that kept me out of college was High school. But I will say this. In my opinion a good education is worthless without the drive and desire in a chosen field. If you want to work on snowmobiles, if you've had that desire since you can remember, if it's been a focus of yours even when your not in school, if it's what youv'e always wanted to do, then you will succeed no matter where you choose to go. A good education in your chosen field only gives you the stepping stone to greatly improve your chances of working in that field. But once your out of school, and working, you need to provide results. And without the interest and desire, you will have a difficult time doing that.
As far as school locations, I certainly cannot make any recommendations because I'm sure there are so many fine colleges and universitys for you to choose from. I will say that probably due to location, and climate, we have some people here that are from Mich. Tech. They have had good things to say about that institution. I hope I have helped in some way, and I wish you the best of luck in the future.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help guys! Yea and of course i do have a desire to become a engineer in snowmobiling field. I love taking apart engines, putting them back together. Trying to figure out how things work. I have gasoline in my veins. I clean my APV's at least every 500 miles. So i have a good idea of how things work and i have a drive to know more. Once again guys thanks for the help. I'm sure you answered many other peoples questions similar to mine. Oh and by the way GLS, I heard a rumor that Arctic Cat has an apprenticeship program that i could do in the summer to gain more expierence. Is that true?

·
Registered
151 Posts
high octane,

One other thing to consider is how easily you will be distracted. You have the best snowmobiling and hunting east of the Rockies in the Kewanaw, but you still have to show up for school. If you are easily distracted, you might want to go somewhere were the snowfall is less. Uf you can keep your concentration on school, then go for Michigan Tech. There are people every year that only make it a semester or 2 because they can't get them selves out of the woods and to class.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts