Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear alot of people saying they use too much or too little oil. I know how people ride is a major factor in the equation. But for the majority of us, what should the ratio be?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Skivt, this has been addressed on this site before. This is the word from AC.

"70 to 80:1 at light throttle is normal according to spec from Suzuki. This
has been a common complaint or comment on higher HP sleds over the years.
The oil ratio is leaner at low throttle settings and with the higher HP
sleds you don't get into the throttle as much to maintain speed. If you are
a throttle pumper you wont notice it but if you are a steady thumb rider
you will. I bet the guys that are noticing it are the ones who are steady
thumb riders. Bottom line is what you are seeing is not unusual or
abnormal."

·
Registered
47 Posts
skikvt.
If your talking about an overall average fuel/oil ratio, 60~70:1 is normal. The situation with some F-7 pumps is at 6000~6500 RPM, we've discovered some that are too lean in that area only. Some as lean as 125:1. But OK everywhere else. The letter that owners and dealers will get, will call for a simple readjustment of the oil pump linkage rod. The letter will ask that the dealer readjust the rod to it's shortest lenght. This is done by removing the arm from the throttle body and oil pump, loosening the lock nut on the arm and turning the threaded rod portion of the arm clockwise (in) until it bottoms out. Some rods can be turned in 1 turn, some up to 6 turns. The rod is then checked for orientation so it fits on the all sockets of the throttle body and oil pump, then the lock nut is tightened and the rod reinstalled. This gets the pump flow matched to the correct throttle position. If you had a pump that was delivering low oil at 6000~6500, the rod lenght change now moves that flow volume down near idle where it should be. The pre-mix recommendation is for temporary safety if your dealer can't get this done right away. Hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
gls,
does this apply to ALL f-7's or just the ones that dont seem to be using enough. some friends of mine seem to be using the normal amount of oil so i was wondering if an oil pump adjustment is nessasary on their sleds ? or does cat just want to pump more oil into the 7 motor to be on the safe side? thanks and im GAD your here to help out ! on another note, my f-5 rocks ! thanks :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
gls,
I am running 85:1 and I have turned the rod down as short as it will go. When I last checked it, most of my ride was between 4500 - 6000 RPM. I am concerned that it is still too lean. I have 965 miles on my F7 SP. With these conditions will AC be replacing oil pump and are they available?
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts