Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh sure, we may have some snow yet this winter, but motorcycles, boats, ATV's, and PWC's are the toys you're guaranteed on using.

Read Al Gore's book or see the movie An Inconvenient Truth.

In the next ten years, MN is supposed to have the climate of Chicago.

We should make a list of whom had motorcycles and form a group to get together and do rides in the summer.

Thoughts?

Mark

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AL GORE CANT FIND HIS BUTT WITH BOTH HANDS, AND YOUR GOING TO BELIVE HIM.[/b]

Gore merely assisted in the orchestration and funding of the book and the movie. I've never been a Gore fan, but with all the years of disservice to his state and our country, it was about time he did something worthwhile.

I believe in the climatologist's from around the globe that participated in the research.

The satellite images of the dramatically receding polar icecaps simply can't be denied. Ignored by the stupid maybe, but the facts remain.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This Year May Be Warmest Ever
2007 Could Break Record Set in 1998
By RAPHAEL G. SATTER, AP

LONDON (Jan. 4) - A resurgent El Niño and persistently high levels of greenhouse gases are likely to make 2007 the world's hottest year ever recorded, British climate scientists said Thursday.

Britain's Meteorological Office said there was a 60 percent probability that 2007 would break the record set by 1998, which was 1.20 degrees over the long-term average.

"This new information represents another warning that climate change is happening around the world," the office said.

The reason for the forecast is mostly due to El Niño, a cyclical warming trend now under way in the Pacific Ocean. The event occurs irregularly -- the last one happened in 2002 -- and typically leads to increased temperatures worldwide.

While this year's El Niño is not as strong as it was in 1997 and 1998, its combination with the steady increase of temperatures due to global warming from human activity may be enough to break the Earth's temperature record, said Phil Jones, the director of the Climatic Research unit at the University of East Anglia.

"Because of the warming due to greenhouse gases, even a moderate warming event is enough to push the global temperatures over the top," he said.

"El Niño is an independent variable," he said. "But the underlying trends in the warming of the Earth is almost certainly due to the release of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere."

El Niño can sometimes lead to milder weather, such as in the in the northeastern United States or the Atlantic Ocean, which is likely to see fewer hurricanes this year. However, it can also increase the severity of weather-related disasters, such as typhoons in the Philippines or drought in southern Africa and Australia, a country that is already suffering through its longest dry spell on record.

Environmental groups said the report added weight to the movement to control greenhouse gases.

"The evidence that we're doing something very dangerous with the climate is now amassing," said Campaign against Climate Change coordinator Philip Thornhill.

"We need to put the energy and priority (into climate change) that is being put into a war effort. It's a political struggle to get action done - and these reports help," Thornhill said.

01/04/07 07:41 EST

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you take a good look back at the record temperatures you will find increased years as well as decreased years way before anyone even started messing with industrial pollution and greenhouse gasses. We just unfortanately are in one of the warming periods. Global warming?? Maybe but history has proven global cooling will follow. Don't get sucked up in the political BS

·
Registered
76 Posts
sure there may be a bit of Global warming, but not what Gore is talking about. Weather patterns are cyclic. Some up some down. We are in the down trough right now. Look at the hurricane patterns, up then down. Its natures balance.

If I believed what Gore had to say I would be heading to Mexico and preparing for what happened in the ' day after tomorrow' movie.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wasn't it back in the mid 80's when we told that the ice age was coming!!! By now we are supposed to be covered by ice, didn't happen. That didn't scare people enough so they started global warming, does that scare ya? What next? Geologists have proven that these are cycles, also look at record temps that have stood for 60+ years and are still standing. GLOBAL WARMING IS A MYTH!!! Wow , I went nuts. :tease: Wife an I ride, we are always up for a ride.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
The St. Louis River that flows into Lake Superior runs behind my house and it is a good 3-4 feet low from normal water level, I am seeing rocks out of water that in 37 years running the river I have never seen before, most of the lakes out in the swamp in Zim are also a good 3 feet lower than they should be.. Gonna be a bad spring full of fires up here I think, haven't seen it this dry ever in my lifetime

·
Registered
524 Posts
Take a look at the satellite data and the levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere over the last ten years.[/b]
You might want to research this a little more. Look at the data from 1974. The ice sheets were getting larger so fast they were predicting that Global Cooling would kill us off by the end of the century. Didn't happen.
Generally, we are warming. The earth has been coming out of an ice age for the last 10000 years or so, and will continue until we go into another ice age. Human's effects on this global warming has been severely over-rated in typical human ego fashion. Over the last couple hundred years or so, North America has been in a 20 year cycle. We warm-up and then cool-down. We are about as warm as we will go right now, and soon we will go back to 20 years of cooling.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
anyone that thinks global warming is real is a tool of the tree huggers...........

·
Registered
524 Posts
anyone that thinks global warming is real is a tool of the tree huggers...........[/b]

Global Warming is real, very real. It has been happening for millions of years, if it didn't we would have never gotten out of the first ice age. The earth warms, then cools in cycles, and has been for millions of years.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
We are at the mercy of the sun's output and weather patterns. It's ever changing. You can point to many times in the past where it's been cold or warm. The records indicate that we have had winters like this before and damn cold and snowy ones in-between......and no one knows what it was like before records were started a hundred or so years ago.

Besides I own a sled and a motorcycle. I'm covered for any weather.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts