Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, finally got the tunnel extension finished off on the 23rd (Thanks again Ultra8, looks awesome) so I had to go for a quick ride around the area to try out the new 136 ripsaw. Took a few pictures of the snow conditions just around town on the 21st, then a few pictures on some of the trails on the 24th. Everyone was out of town or out at the cabins, so I had to go for a solo ride.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
holy crap man.. thats a lot of snow! I wish i could make a trip up there to ride! Just tired of no snow around Winnipeg! :banghead:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Depends where you are, some places in the bush are waist-deep. Stephen's Lake was pretty much polished clean with all those crappy winds we had last week, but aside from that, at least 2 1/2 feet everywhere I checked, sometimes alot more.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hey the trees look really small out there, but from the pics it looks really hilly. Is there really that many hills out there? Is it mostly bush/trail riding or is it mostly open? I've always been curious about the terrain that far north, maybe someday I'll end up coming up there for a ride, but can't this year.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey the trees look really small out there, but from the pics it looks really hilly. Is there really that many hills out there? Is it mostly bush/trail riding or is it mostly open? I've always been curious about the terrain that far north, maybe someday I'll end up coming up there for a ride, but can't this year.[/b]
We're on the northern edge of the boreal, so yeah the trees start to peter out not far north of here. Around some of the lakes and rivers they are still pretty big but dwarfed pretty much everywhere else. It is actually quite hilly up here. Mostly trail/bush with lots of open areas to play in, lots of bogs/swamps and little lakes that fill up with lots of snow. Lots of rivers to run on as well. Good snow, good terrain, good riding.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I noticed you had some pics labeled skihill. Wasnt aware gilliam had a ski hil. It wasnt Mystery lake was it? And if it was how long did it take for you to get there from gilliam?[/b]
The snowmobile club used to clear and groom a fairly big hill near town, maybe 75-100' vertical, for some very light local skiing. They had a warm up shack there and everything. People kept burning the shack down, so they stopped the upkeep. It's still good for toboganning. It's a pretty scenic overlook on the area south of town. The "ski hill" name just sort of stuck.

Mystery is near Thompson, actually just down the Gillam road. We have gone into Thompson from here before, and it takes the better part of a day with a fill-up at Kelsey.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah was wondering, I'm in Thompson. Was wondering how long to Gilliam. We always talked about going to Gilliam and spending the night. We were not to sure about Kelsey, heard they stopped providing gas. Heres some pics from a launch we had off the gilliam road on the power line, well will post them later.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jeez, you guys weren't kidding when you said there's lots of snow up there....nice pics![/b]
Froesen will be up here soon enough, if you ask him nice he might be able to fill the back of his truck up when he heads down for his rap trips.

He must have gotten a new (with 200k+ kms on it) truck by now!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah was wondering, I'm in Thompson. Was wondering how long to Gilliam. We always talked about going to Gilliam and spending the night. We were not to sure about Kelsey, heard they stopped providing gas. Heres some pics from a launch we had off the gilliam road on the power line, well will post them later.[/b]
Well, the thing about Kelsey is it's a fully functional power plant with a staff house. The guys fly in there and stay for 8 days then fly out, rotating with the next shift. The cook staff knows how many people will be there and the utility staff knows how much gas they'll need. They don't really like unannounced guests because they are not a hotel or townsite that has to cater to the public, it screws up their planning. Heard one guy took his sled in there last year or the year before and used the staffhouse as his personal campsite, right down to setting up a coleman stove and cooking hotdogs. The onsite staff didn't appreciate this too much. They tried to stop the Thompson club from grooming in there. The Gillam club guy who organizes the rides had to have a sit-down with the division manager of Hydro's Power Supply North to make it happen again, probably mid to late Feb this coming year.

When we go through, it's planned weeks ahead. The cooks know how many extra meals to make, the utility guys know how many machines they will have to fill up. No cheques or debit, all cash. Plus, if you're in Gillam, there is a 98% you work for Hydro and know at least someone at Kelsey.

Not sure about public rides through, but you would have to call ahead if you didn't want to piss of the guys. If you know anyone who works for Hydro, they could likely get you a number of the admin office or someone to talk to out there about gas or whatnot. I'm not a work right now, but if you want I can PM you later.

On the ride we did a couple of years ago, the trail was groomed the night before, and the line was brushed like the year before, so it was all 3-4 ft powder, 100 ft wide, with an untouched paved highway on the side. We had to stop and let a family of 5 bobcats get off the trail. It was an amazing ride.

edit: by the way, and alot of people do it, no big deal, but there's no second "i" in Gillam!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hey Low-1 hows it goin? im currently up in gillam too working for hydro, im the welder apprentice at kettle not sure if you know me? Its nice to see someone else from gillam on here. Anyway im just down in brandon for christmas, and im driving back up next friday. Who all do you ride with? anyway youll likely see me ripping around town on my new sled 07 orange F6, give me a shout if you want to go riding. Talk to you later.

- Braden.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts