Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 F5

1) Which belt should I be using?
2) What jets, air settings, and fuel settings is everyone running? I was afraid to do it last year, but F*&K it.
3) By adjusting the jets and carb settings, will this help the crappy Mikuni 38mm "high" idle problem? Which I see you can buy the V.I.P's to fix VIP at $75 a carb.
4) Is this normal-----> While running up and down the throttle I can hear a little noise once in a while seems from the motor or exhaust. Not a tick, not a rattle, kind of like a noise of shifting gears in a car. Is this the power valves moving up and down? Do other peoples sleds make this noise?

·
Registered
654 Posts
put 340 main jets in it and it sounds like you have an exhaust leak. pull the pipe and Y-pipe off and reseal tehm both. Might as well clean the exhaust valves while youre at it. run the 020 belt.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
as far as that noise im not sure what you mean by shifting gears... that could be any number of sounds itself...

a good indication if it is the exhaust is if its dirty.... usually a leak will make a mess, wet spot etc..... if its all dry and clean and you have never had the exhaust apart, i doubt its the exhaust...

the noise isnt coming from the clutching?? does it make the noise when the sled isnt moving?? (clutch not engaging)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Originally posted by ChickenhawkF7@Sep 11 2005, 09:33 AM
put 340 main jets in it and it sounds like you have an exhaust leak.  pull the pipe and Y-pipe off and reseal tehm both.  Might as well clean the exhaust valves while youre at it.  run the 020 belt.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=869606
[/quote]

I had an 03 F5 that had an exhaust leak and it only had 200 miles on it when I found it. it was blowing out onto the belt guard, its very possible that its an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by zr8guy@Sep 11 2005, 12:35 PM
as far as that noise im not sure what you mean by shifting gears...  that could be any number of sounds itself...

a good indication if it is the exaust is if its dirty....  usually a leak will make a mess, wet spot etc.....    if its all dry and clean and you have never had the exaust apart, i doubt its the exaust... 

the noise isnt coming from the clutching??  does it make the noise when the sled isnt moving??  (clutch not engaging)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=869774
[/quote]

Hard to explain the noise. When I accelerate it will make the noise and when I let off the throttle it will make the noise. If I recall once my power valve cables fell off the servo and I drove for miles without power valves and the noise didn't happen, I fixed the cables and then the noise came back. No it doesn't make the noise when the sled is not moving. I did seal the large donut with copper rtv. Still makes noise. It sounds more of a pain in ass rather than problem, just wondering if any other f5 owners hear it.

020 belt is what I should be running?

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
The noise is your exhaust valves opening and closing - Right around mid throttle cruise position probably around 6800 - 7200 rpms - If your just cruising around those rpms the valves are opening/closing opening/closing based on your rpms and the computer is telling your servo motor to open/close the exhaust valves - The exhaust valves in turn make a slight rattle sound or clicking in the motor because your at the perfect rpm were there opening/closing opening/closing very fast

IT IS NORMAL

Either cruise at a lower or higher rpm - Another words get on the throttle
350 mains to me are the perfect jets in all weather conditions - I could see running 340s down to 0 degrees

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Exhaust valves - Up or open 7250 rpms

Down or closed 6900 rpms

They rattle if your cruising or staying in that rpm range of 6900 - 7250 rpms for an extended period of time

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Originally posted by bee1971@Sep 11 2005, 02:27 PM
Exhaust valves - Up or open 7250 rpms

Down or closed 6900 rpms

They rattle if your cruising or staying in that rpm range of 6900 - 7250  rpms for an extended period of time
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=869856
[/quote]

:werd: :withstupid:

What he said.....

and I would use 350s unless you plan on not running the sled at all below 0 degrees.

Do a search on "Fuel Air Screw" without the quotes, and my name, and a good thread should come up

Good luck

SteveCZ

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks

does everyone agree on the 020 belt?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts