Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a basket case drag sled and am now obsessed with the idea of going racing. I'd rather build one than buy one but if I can find a reasonable entry level sled, I might save myself the trouble. Anyways I'm looking for some advice on getting started and most importantly where to find some good used parts if I end up building. The sled I bought is an srx chassis with a chaparral 340 liquid, twin pipes, arctic cat skid. It's a hodge podge of parts that was clearly used and abused in its day and I love that about it. I'm considering using my 72 chaparral firebird chassis to start a new build but open to advice on that. Also some skid/track advice for running ice and grass. I'm new to racing but no stranger to old sleds so any advice you guys have will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
fist thing you need to do imo. Is get the list of rules for the racing organization and then based on those rules pick a class that appeals to you. Then if you can post that info. Maybe it would help narrow down a plan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will definitely check out the local events and see what I need. Any suggestions on where to go in MN? I've been to many events that had racing going on but never paid attention to the organizations.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Before you start spending money, like what was said above , find out what classes and classifications are offered in your area. You have a wild combo right now & you could be far enough off std classifications that they might put you in something like Open Mod or Heavy Mod. Unless they have something like a vintage mod class offered in your area that is prior to 1976 the Motor/Chassis combo you have is the wrong stuff in the long run to be competitive at any sizeable race. With a non matching brand Motor/Chassis I think you would be considered a Mod or a Vintage Mod & Not a Vintage PS or a Vintage Mod Stock
However if you have all the parts to run it now then go for it & learn from it , get your feet wet and have some fun. Just take this advice, ." ICE is alot more forgiving in a high speed crash that DIRT."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts