Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we didn't ride last year or much the year before.

Have a 17 Zr5000lxr and 17 Zr3000lxr and need to clean the clutches, faces oxidized pretty good.
What's the best method without complete disassembly to start with? Scotchbrite? wet/dry sand? chemical?

Any help is appreciated as I have much cleaning and maintenance to do.

Thanks, Walt

·
Registered
833 Posts
Scotchbrite on the primary works well. I run the engine and it comes off in no time. Disclaimer-can be dangerous. I open the secondary fully and stick an appropriate sized socket down there to keep it open and lightly sand the shieves.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Use hot water and dawn dish soap, use a scotch brite pad and scrub. Gets all the oxidization, rubber, and any oily residue off. Let it dry. You can scrub the belt sides too.

Don't use sand paper imo. I used to machine clutch sheaves Back to flat. Heavily hand sanded clutch Sheaves were pretty much never flat. Its easy to get carried away with sanding I guess.

Totally smooth dry Sheaves and belt will always grab harder

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will add hot water and Dawn to the effort and likely forego sandpaper at this point. See how they turn out first.

The 3000 fared better than the 5000 (didn't have side panels on the 5) but neither sled gets run very hard, just local trail cruising, and the wife thinks 40mph is fast.

Just looking for proper operation and reasonable belt life. This won't happen again if I can help it.

Thanks, Walt

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Scotchbrite on the primary works well. I run the engine and it comes off in no time. Disclaimer-can be dangerous. I open the secondary fully and stick an appropriate sized socket down there to keep it open and lightly sand the shieves.
Just to be clear. . .
You are running the engine to spin the primary and holding the pad to the faces? It sounds brilliantly easy. I agree that it can also be dangerous.
I use a block of wood with the secondary when I leave them on the machine. The socket method works, I'm just nervous about anything nicking the faces.
BTW, get out the air gun when you are done. I like to blow out any potential debris from the cleaning process.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
X3 on the compressed air I would start with the air just to blow away any belt dust and any loose debris then clean with soapy water.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I took a shot at the 5000 today, Not as bad as originally thought but some light pitting on outer edges.

This has the Team Boss secondary and my thought was to remove it to clean it, but the outer cover/sheeve slid off and left the hub/inner on the shaft, makes it easy to clean but does this need to be indexed when re - installed? there don't appear to be any indications that it does.

Thanks, Walt

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
So we didn't ride last year or much the year before.

Have a 17 Zr5000lxr and 17 Zr3000lxr and need to clean the clutches, faces oxidized pretty good.
What's the best method without complete disassembly to start with? Scotchbrite? wet/dry sand? chemical?

Any help is appreciated as I have much cleaning and maintenance to do.

Thanks, Walt
Next year try to store them in a dehumidified area, if that's not possible put some damp rid in the trailer you store them in. If no trailer, just put it under hood somewhere, maybe in a side panel.

You may need to put new ones in half way thru the summer storage as well.

:bc:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Advice taken, nothing went as planned last year. All being remedied as best as I can. Proper prep and storage is in the works.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Next year try to store them in a dehumidified area, if that's not possible put some damp rid in the trailer you store them in. If no trailer, just put it under hood somewhere, maybe in a side panel.

You may need to put new ones in half way thru the summer storage as well.

:bc:
Dryer sheets and moth balls, My brother puts a tupperware full of cedar chips under the hood

1 - 12 of 12 Posts