Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
There is a tool, but its like 100 bucks.
I will get flack for this, but I put a vice grip on the side of the slide and hit it with a hammer. Just be careful to stay away from the rail and use a rubber mallet.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
A hammer and a flat screwdriver works well too.
Hold the screwdriver in the groove that the hyfax slide into and give 'er!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
There is a tool, but its like 100 bucks.
I will get flack for this, but I put a vice grip on the side of the slide and hit it with a hammer. Just be careful to stay away from the rail and use a rubber mallet.[/b]

A hammer and a flat screwdriver works well too.
Hold the screwdriver in the groove that the hyfax slide into and give 'er![/b]
:div20: Have done it both of these ways, sometimes a lot of work but both work.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I did mine a few weeks ago and one was caked on there soooooo bad that it took over 2 hours to get the one off. I tried the vice grip thing and it won't budge. I ended up using a chisel to get a nice groove cut in it and using a punch to get it off.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Make it easier and pull the whole suspension out to work on it.[/b]
Preference thing.. just the other day I got a call from a bud who needed help to get his suspension back in, it took 4 of us to get it back in. Becuase his tunnel was bent or something, was extremely hard to fit it back in (sled was 2003 Summit 800). I would just try it with the suspension in to start with.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
I never remove the rear suspension to change hyfax. I always just slide it out through one of the track windows.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
No kidding. This past summer I had to swap out the track on my old John Deere and I was doing a lot of cussing and swearing at it when I was trying to get the bolt holes lined back up.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
The way I see it, if you have to replace a set of hyfax it's probably time to remove and inspect the entire skid frame. Hyfax usually lasts at least 1000 miles if your track is adjusted correctly. JMO.

As for removing them, spray some WD-40 along the rail if they don't want to slide off easily, then use the above described methods and be sure to inspect the rails for any burrs.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I usually take the rear suspension out at the beginning or end of each season to inspect anyway. Even if the hyfax do not need to be replaced, I do it anyway, its a helluva lot easier with the suspension out. Once you take the time to take the rear skid out, recharge all the shocks and replace bushings, etc, the price of hyfax gets pretty cheap. Before I put the new ones on, I make sure to clean the rail really well and then I use some dish soap in the well of the hyfax to slide them on easier. It has appeared to make taking them off easier also. Of course if they need replacing in the middle of the season, they just come out through a track window.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
[attachment=281604:hyfaxtool.gif] I bought one of these a few years ago. It makes removing the hyfax a no brainer. 10 minutes and they are replaced. With that being said, any dent puller will work. All my friends use mine, so I guess it was worth the money.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
my buddies slides are ground on with sand and heat and i was wondering how to get them off?[/b]

You don't need the tool. Spray it with WD-40 then drive a 2" deck screw in the back end and pull it off with vise grips. I've even done this on doos with the narrow windows.[/b]
Well since they are stuck on with sand and heat as he mentioned, I don't think a screw and vise grips will be that easy.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I take the skid out then take a pipe wrench adjust accordingly and they pop wright off no need to waste a 100 bucks on a slide hammer that would only get used maybe once a year. 5 minutes and the old ones are off. Then I spray the rails with WD/40 and slid the new ones on.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Take out the skid and inspect it on the bench. I think that it's time for a once over for sure, especially of you have all that crap in the rails. I always remove the skid in the fall, inspect and replace anything that could leave me stranded. Just do it right once, and you won't have to touch it again for quite a while.

Plus, the skid is fun to sit on and push yourself across the garage floor!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts