Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a 25/42 gears will fit in a prox with the stock 76 pitch chain? Where could I get the gearing chart from polaris?

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,145 Posts
Originally posted by Meat Head@Sep 17 2005, 08:35 PM
Does anyone know if a 25/42 gears will fit in a prox with the stock 76 pitch chain? Where could I get the gearing chart from polaris?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=879572
[/quote]
Your Pro-X has a 7.92" Center to Center distance for the sprockets.

top/bottom ratio chain links
24/41 1.71 76 pitch
25/42 1.68 not recommended
23/38 1.65 74 pitch
25/41 1.64 76 pitch

Many of the service manuals have a chart in them.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
im running 23/43 and love it

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
25-41 is stock on the 700, i wouldn't go above that to begin with... i'd drop it to 24-41 instead of the other way... imho you should have the ratio in the 1.8 ish range or even numerically higher, i run a 1.90 ratio and still hit 110 on the speedo plus great corner to corner acceleration...

·
Registered
11,320 Posts
Gearing down on the top is slightly lower than gearing on the bottom, then your stock chain will fit.(1.70ratio)24-41.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With a 24/41 there is a lot of chain slack! I would have like to decrease the chain slack if possible. Does anyone know why a 25/42 is not recommended? Is there a gear to chain meshing problem or is the 42 to big to fit?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
IMO, 25/42 is the best combo of gearing for that sled. The reason it is not recommended is the fact that the chain tightener doesn't fit real well with this gearing. Go ahead and try this gearing you will like them, not much gear whine, and no slack in the chain. Put the gears in without the roller, then grind down the roller enough to fit. You will probably have to use a smaller bolt for tightening the chain, because the original one will stick out too far from the chaincase.

·
Registered
11,320 Posts
I agree.. 25/42 would be more efficient, should be able to use the stock chain without a kink in it, adjust the tension in just enough to put pressure on the chain, it's better to change both gears if possible. 1.68 ratio,between stock and 24/41.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I ran 25/42 last year after trying many other ratio's icluding 24/41 and 24/42.
You need to take a very small amount off the back of the tensioner and it fits with almost no chain slack and the most efficient chain bend possible and it is a great all around ratio for that sled, especially if you want decent top end.

Do yourself a favor and use the updated tensioner too while you're at it.
It is a phenolic material instead of steel. AMAZING decrease in that ignorant chaincase noise. It's also far easier to work with when removing the material from the tensioner bolt stop area...can do it with a hand file.

25/42 and the new style tensioner....all smiles!!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I know this was for Terez, but my topend on smooth road was 120 on the speedo. Granted, this not on radar, but I have tried a lot of ratios with this sled and this turned out to be the best for me. Take it for what its worth.
R254

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Originally posted by terez@Sep 24 2005, 03:31 AM
I ran 25/42 last year after trying many other ratio's icluding 24/41 and 24/42.
You need to take a very small amount off the back of the tensioner and it fits with almost no chain slack and the most efficient chain bend possible and it is a great all around ratio for that sled, especially if you want decent top end.

Do yourself a favor and use the updated tensioner too while you're at it.
It is a phenolic material instead of steel.  AMAZING decrease in that ignorant chaincase noise.  It's also far easier to work with when removing the material from the tensioner bolt stop area...can do it with a hand file.

25/42 and the new style tensioner....all smiles!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=889688
[/quote]

I asked a dealer mechanic about upgrading to new tensioner and was told it couldn't be done. I didn't question it till now. Do you have to make any mods/shim?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
As for the top speed question.............
I was getting around 118 on the speedo...never GPS'd it..don't have one.
My top speed was the same when stock ( jetted 420 mains and clutched properly) and when running SLP single/Vforce. Mods gave much better accel and midrange pull but no top end improvement.

As for the chaincase tensioner question......
The ProX chaincase from 03 up WILL accept the new style tensioner as this is the phantom case which is the case used on all XC's from 05 up.
The chaincase used in anything 04 and older other than PROX Cannot use the new tensioner as the Phantom case is completely different.

·
Registered
968 Posts
25-42 fit into my pro-x 8 without moding anything, there was almost no slack in the chain afterwards....perfect!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok, was just about to order 24/41 for my 03 prox 8. Now I read 25/42 which would be nice because only would have to order the 42. Its 1.70 compared to 1.68. Is there much difference and can I run the 25/42 with no modications?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
If I were you I would run the 25/42 in the 800.
24/41 works great in the 700. Is a blast in the 800 too but the 800 will do just as well with 25/42 as it has more torque and as you said you only need to buy one gear.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
who can tell the difference between a 1.68 and a 1.70 ratio ???

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Well.............

The increased gas consumption, higher cruising rpm, and increased compression braking @ high speed were fairly "telling".
Generally those who spend the $$ and time to make incremental setup changes have developed a fairly well calibrated "seat o the pants meter".
It's a sickness really!! A kind of Sledder OCD!

In all seriousness though, I usually gear in both directions to achieve a specific result and or to accomodate a different clutch setup on most every sled I have ever owned.
It's true the results can sometime be subtle but they are always there.

In the case of 24/41 vs 25/42 the efficient chain bend produced by 25/42 in the PROX chaincase was a big bonus as much as the optimum gearing for my conditions.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts