Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm looking to gear my 97 xc 600 triple. Not looking for top end I'm looking to ditch bang and play in drifts. My gear case is stock no changes yet. Can any one tell me what top and bottom gears I should go with.

·
Registered
39,546 Posts
Hopefully you have the later mono block triple with the pto oil line or you'll need the crank welded to do what you asking. Hard to recall what i ran in those sleds back then for that type of riding....something like a 20/39 or 19/39 gear combo.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I think 21/39 was factory in those sleds, so going down a couple teeth on the top gear is reasonable. Your biggest issue is going to be traction. Definitely need an upgrade over the factory track...

·
Registered
39,546 Posts
Could recall one of our guys with a new 95 xlt special, stock track with 96 studs ended up twisting the crank in his motor while jumping moguls with the flipper hammered to the bar. Those older mono block triple cranks were like cheese.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys all look into all of that. I already did a bit of a skid upgrade I put a 133 in it with a 1.5 ripsaw track. Now how do I determine if I have the old mono block or the new one?

·
Registered
39,546 Posts
Older 600 fuji mono blocks will not have the 4th pto oil line. Even with the newer engine i'd still be leary of those cranks especially if installing any triple pipes. Back in the day we sent dozens of those cranks out to be welded after many of them failed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts