Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my sled out for a ride the other night, i agree, the backlighting of the display is kinda weak, anybody have a fix on that, would like to brighten that up a little bit, if you have a fix, fill me in with p/n's and such, also, has there been anymore news about the electronic fuel guage thing, would like to get one, any rumors about the "for future use" of the eight bars?? any information would be appreciated

see ya on the trail
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
I thought I read a while back that the bulbs were RED. I think when Dana installed his temp guage he changed the bulb to red to match the tach/speedo
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,637 Posts
While I don't think they're bad, they could have made them brighter.

I will call on this and see what can, if anything be done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
I agree, if you are riding like an old lady, it is easy to see, but when you are going like your seat is on fire, it would be nicer if it was brighter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
i rode tonight....gauge still sucks. Brighter bulb or a white bulb would definitely help. White would probably look like ass though.
Anybody crack this thing open yet and have a peek what's in there? Bulbs?Led's?Diodes? Any wiring diagrams on it yet?

I might have a look at it this weekend and see if I can come up with a better backlight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
Thanks AC, let us know what you find out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,134 Posts
Good luck with the speedo lighting!! I disassembled mine to find that the circuit boards are screwed together and the board is covered with clear epoxy to prevent the screws from vibrating loose. You would have to break the epoxy seal on the screws to take it apart further to locate the bulbs. Then I would be very cautious as to what wattage of bulbs you would replace them with. Remember, this speedo is very dependent on the correct amount of supplied voltage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
Originally posted by Gunner F5@Dec 7 2002, 08:08 AM
Good luck with the speedo lighting!! I disassembled mine to find that the circuit boards are screwed together and the board is covered with clear epoxy to prevent the screws from vibrating loose. You would have to break the epoxy seal on the screws to take it apart further to locate the bulbs. Then I would be very cautious as to what wattage of bulbs you would replace them with. Remember, this speedo is very dependent on the correct amount of supplied voltage.
So do You think it would come apart if You broke the epoxy???? What do they expect You to do when the bulb burns out? Probably replace the whole thing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,134 Posts
That's a good question!! If you ask me, except for the tach recall feature (if it works correctly) this tach is nothing more than sexy technology!! It's kinda like having your wife/girlfriend wearing sexy undergarments: Looks real good but in all likelyhood SHOULDN'T improve overall performance!! :eek: :lol: :lol:
I meant girlfriend in general, not anyone in particular!!
Seriously though, I would have been happy with the ZR gauges because down the road, I bet that tach would be very $$$$$ to replace!!! I suppose the screws could be recoated with epoxy after you replace them but as far as the bulb, well we probably need to check with the tach supplier..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
Gunner, How many miles You got on that bad boy????Back to the speedo all I would like is a trip meter I can see! I could care less about r's or speed. same with the gas gauge all I need is 1/4 to empty! Who cares before that!!LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,134 Posts
You got it !! Trip meter comes handy when you use it to find unmarked trails ( 2.2 miles, take two track, then... etc. ) About 70 miles on it and not one problem so far!! I know I need to remove some shims from the secondary to tighten up the belt and after about 40 miles the exhaust donut quit leaking and the paint is still on the pipe. The only problem I have is you really feel like your sitting down too far but not a biggie.

When I first rode I went for 25 miles under 7000 rpm without shutting it off. It wanted to start hard after sitting for 5 minutes but once the pre mix is out , I'll rejet, adjust the low speed circuit, clutch it, change the gearing, and this thing should hang with any sled out there to about 60 - 70 mph!!!

One thing worth noting, it would definitely hook up better with studs!! Even with the deep lug track, it wants to spin out of the hole. Nothing that can't be tuned out however. All being said, I :wub: :wub: my F5 SNO PRO after 70 miles. BTW , CATMAN2, don't you live near Ann Arbor Mi. ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,004 Posts
The eight bars on the speedo are for the electronic fuel gauge. that is its "future" use. apparantly the electronic fuel gauge that got delivered from there vendor didn't meet ac's "specs." BUT the PULL ROPE DID. LOL. :rolleyes: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
Originally posted by Gunner F5@Dec 7 2002, 12:50 PM
That's a good question!! If you ask me, except for the tach recall feature (if it works correctly) this tach is nothing more than sexy technology!! It's kinda like having your wife/girlfriend wearing sexy undergarments: Looks real good but in all likelyhood SHOULDN'T improve overall performance!! :eek: :lol: :lol:
I meant girlfriend in general, not anyone in particular!!
Seriously though, I would have been happy with the ZR gauges because down the road, I bet that tach would be very $$$$$ to replace!!! I suppose the screws could be recoated with epoxy after you replace them but as far as the bulb, well we probably need to check with the tach supplier..
Hey man, lingere may not improve her performance but it can improve mine :lol:

A new speedo / tach assembly is $ 421 Can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
:lol: :lol: I said it some where else but it bears repeating, when the recoil cord finally snaps it makes a GREAT tow rope !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
Originally posted by Gunner F5@Dec 7 2002, 01:23 PM
You got it !! Trip meter comes handy when you use it to find unmarked trails ( 2.2 miles, take two track, then... etc. ) About 70 miles on it and not one problem so far!! I know I need to remove some shims from the secondary to tighten up the belt and after about 40 miles the exhaust donut quit leaking and the paint is still on the pipe. The only problem I have is you really feel like your sitting down too far but not a biggie.

When I first rode I went for 25 miles under 7000 rpm without shutting it off. It wanted to start hard after sitting for 5 minutes but once the pre mix is out , I'll rejet, adjust the low speed circuit, clutch it, change the gearing, and this thing should hang with any sled out there to about 60 - 70 mph!!!

One thing worth noting, it would definitely hook up better with studs!! Even with the deep lug track, it wants to spin out of the hole. Nothing that can't be tuned out however. All being said, I :wub: :wub: my F5 SNO PRO after 70 miles. BTW , CATMAN2, don't you live near Ann Arbor Mi. ???
Cadillac MI
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top