Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I will be in the area this weekend staying at Mountain View and was wondering what the price of gas is up there compared to down in Hooksett NH. Our prices as of this morning were 3.16 for premium.

This will be my first trip to Jackman any places or areas we should go and check out. I would like to find some good areas for a little off trail excursion while I'm there.

Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Type in Jackman in the search engine. There have been a lot of good info on trail conditions and rides posted in the last month. Your going to want to head to Pittston Farms. The Canada Border via the trail behind the border riders clubhouse. NE Carry, Rockwood to name a few. Also lot of logging roads for offtrail riding. You will see them.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Was up there a couple weekends ago and it was right around 3.40 for premium. If you fuel up at Pittston Farms expect to pay over $4. Course the price here in the Portland area has gone up since then so it could be more.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Type in Jackman in the search engine. There have been a lot of good info on trail conditions and rides posted in the last month. Your going to want to head to Pittston Farms. The Canada Border via the trail behind the border riders clubhouse. NE Carry, Rockwood to name a few. Also lot of logging roads for offtrail riding. You will see them.[/b]

Thanks Tynan19 just the kinda leads i was hoping to get, What are your gas prices looking like up there though?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was up there a couple weekends ago and it was right around 3.40 for premium. If you fuel up at Pittston Farms expect to pay over $4. Course the price here in the Portland area has gone up since then so it could be more.[/b]

I was figuring it was going to be around there in price, oh well it is what it is thats why it's called a sport.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Haven't been to Jackman but just got back from Fort Kent and regular all over The County was 3.25 to 3.45. Expect to pay that or more. Gas I remember was cheaper at NE Carry than Pittston. Rockwood also has gas.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haven't been to Jackman but just got back from Fort Kent and regular all over The County was 3.25 to 3.45. Expect to pay that or more. Gas I remember was cheaper at NE Carry than Pittston. Rockwood also has gas.[/b]

Thanks again Tynan19, Looks like I might bring some gas up with me too.

You planning on being in the area this weekend?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Moose River Store - Rockwood: 3.349 1-13-08

The Shop Quik-Stop - Rockwood: 3.309 (24 hr card pump) 1-13-08

Moosehead Motorsports - Greenville: 3.189 (24 hr card pump) 1-9-08

·
Registered
201 Posts
hey guys I will be in the area this weekend staying at Mountain View and was wondering what the price of gas is up there compared to down in Hooksett NH. Our prices as of this morning were 3.16 for premium.

This will be my first trip to Jackman any places or areas we should go and check out. I would like to find some good areas for a little off trail excursion while I'm there.
Thanks for the help in advance.[/b]
Unless an emergency, stay away from Pittston Farms. They're the most expensive in the Jackman area. Bishop's Store and Trailside running 3.34 for regular, premium about 3.49; Greenville is the cheapest ranging 3.19 for regular and 3.37 for premium. raymond's store (NE Carry) was 3.63 back on 1/5.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Jackman to Pittston I usually burn about 6 gal riding hard. So at the farm prices i pay about 3.60 more for fuel. #1 I dont wanna run out EVER and #2 without the extra $ from selling fuel they problably wouldnt stay open.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I chuckle when people won't buy fuel someplace because it's $1 more. they are not minting money at these places because of their fuel sales it's expensive to buy small loads of fuel, equipment is expensive and the seasons pretty short. I've spend upwards of $6 gallon in Quebec at trailside relais but without them there would be no way for most sleds to make the trips they do and given the average $10 tank at $1-2 more your out no more than $20.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I chuckle when people won't buy fuel someplace because it's $1 more. they are not minting money at these places because of their fuel sales it's expensive to buy small loads of fuel, equipment is expensive and the seasons pretty short. I've spend upwards of $6 gallon in Quebec at trailside relais but without them there would be no way for most sleds to make the trips they do and given the average $10 tank at $1-2 more your out no more than $20.[/b]

not sure i followed you on that one.

I understand stations usually only make 1 or 2 dollars per tank and i understand that they pay little less than we do per gallon, either way it doesn't make it any cheaper. now for 6 $ a gallon i think that i would take another route.

·
Registered
530 Posts
usmarine, I will be in the area to, so lets hook up and boondock. I'm running an 02 ZR800EFI with a 136X1.5 camoplast intense. The powder riding has been crazy up until the recent rains and thaw around my house. We'll hook up and the hell with the gas prices, as long as we can ride!!

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
not sure i followed you on that one.

I understand stations usually only make 1 or 2 dollars per tank and i understand that they pay little less than we do per gallon, either way it doesn't make it any cheaper. now for 6 $ a gallon i think that i would take another route.[/b]

Pittston Farms owners don't get rich selling gas was my point, they provide a service in an area where others don't, they are busy 1-2 days a week and their cost to aquire fuel is higher than a real gas station thats busy 7 days a week getting a tanker full every few days. With the average sled taking 5-6 gallons it doesn't cost that much more to do it there and $10 extra at Pittston is better than buying your buddy a $75 belt when he fries it towing you back in.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
I get your point. The wife and I rode in Jackman Dec 29th thru Jan 5th. Over $500 for sleds in fuel and just under $200 in the truck to get there and back. Was it worth? Dam right... Trails were mint and we rode close to 1,000 miles. Would have been more miles if the nights were not so cold. Heading back this weekend for five days. I'll bet we spend another $600.

I chuckle when people won't buy fuel someplace because it's $1 more. they are not minting money at these places because of their fuel sales it's expensive to buy small loads of fuel, equipment is expensive and the seasons pretty short. I've spend upwards of $6 gallon in Quebec at trailside relais but without them there would be no way for most sleds to make the trips they do and given the average $10 tank at $1-2 more your out no more than $20.[/b]

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Bob gets gas delivered every 4 days up there. He also pays just about the same price for premium as you would pay at the pumps in Greenville. So Greenville is 3.49 and he's 4.09.
You do the math. What are you paying, like 6 bucks more a tank up there?
I pissed out 6 bucks in coffee by 10 am this morning.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts