Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this weekend i rode about 200 miles and got about 7 or 8 mile to the gallon. I ride a stock 97 ZR 580 efi. Is there anything i can do to get my gas mileage up??? I'm only 15 and am going to be hurtin when i ain't got no more money for gas.

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
Make sure your track is set properly. TSL sleds should have 1.5-1.75 inches of sag with twenty lbs of tension in the middle. You may want to pull the air box and clean it out. Make sure all the sensors are clean. (No fuzz on them from cattails, etc.)

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah... i was riding real hard on great trails, and was racing quite a bit. I will go through my sle done nite this week, to get ur ready for da weekend. I'll try to save a bit more fuel this time, BUT its so hard!!!! lol :lol:

·
Registered
207 Posts
ZRman,
I too read your posts on your " I won" thread. I've had my 97 since it was new (fall of 96)...It is a great performer, but at a cost. I've had to sweat out making it a 100 miles on a tank since it was new. Even now with my 12 yr old riding it, I still get way better mileage on my 800efi.
Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
168 Posts
My Zr 580 is the same way it sucks way to much gas i probly get like 7 - 8 mile on the gallion too and im only 14 im an broke because i put on 222 miles this weekend (and i live in an area were the trails are real skiny and there is alot of stop and go) so that dont help the gas either i dont think is anything you can do about it just try to keep a stedy throtle
BUT IS THERE MANY SLEDS THAT SIZE THAT WILL BEAT IT OR KEEP UP WITH IT??????

·
Registered
168 Posts
My Zr 580 is the same way it sucks way to much gas i probly get like 7 - 8 mile on the gallion too and im only 14 im an broke because i put on 222 miles this weekend (and i live in an area were the trails are real skiny and there is alot of stop and go) so that dont help the gas either i dont think is anything you can do about it just try to keep a stedy throtle

BUT IS THERE MANY SLEDS THAT SIZE THAT WILL BEAT IT OR KEEP UP WITH IT??????

·
Registered
863 Posts
I am getting 11-13 mpg on the trails, maybe even a little better and i am getting about 7-9 on the ice racing...i dont consider its that bad for a 800

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well the old 580 engine was never steller for gas milage, same for all of Cat's high performance engines without exhaust valves. The Exhaust valves on Cat's help fuel milage greatly. My 97 ZR 440 and my dads 98 ZR 500 are both FUEL HOGS! -_- They seem to consume more fuel then the other brand's. :wacko: Our ZRs also seem to like drinking the oil up too! Our old 91 Prowler never drank the fuel and oil like the newer ZRs again (but then again it didnt have AWESOME engines like the ZR's :D

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
The Tempa-flow is great for a carb model. I'm very happy with mine. It will not make your gas milage any better other than it keeps your jetting adjusted for air temps, so you do not have to change jets during the ride to keep it at peak efficiency. You still have to be jetted correctly for the cut-in, or turn-on temperature of the Tempa-flow. For an EFI model the thing to look at would be an adjustable pressure regulator. I remember reports of fuel pressures being too high from the factory, causing excessive fuel comsumption. I think it is supposed to be around 34psi, but don't quote me on that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts