Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
50% of the time, right after I fill up and hit the bumps, gas will splash out around the cap and all over the outside of the tank. I have had the cap replaced and same problem. I have tried the cap tighter, looser, etc., and since it is random, I am not sure of the fix. Once I notice it, usually from the smell all over my pants, I stop, open the cap and bang it around in case the ball is frozen (doesn't seem to be), put the cap back on, and never anymore problems until I fill it up again.

What the heck?!!?

·
Registered
960 Posts
probably about only a tablespoon spills out on mine but no big problem

·
Registered
344 Posts
How close to the top are you filling it? I've seen occasions in the past with sleds that if you fill clear to the top of the filler neck, there is no place for gas to go but out the cap as the tank flexes, etc. when going over bumps. I usually only fill mine to about a 1/2" below the bottom of the filler neck and always have. Just a thought.

·
Registered
44 Posts
mine did the same thing. i found that the gasket on the cap would get off center when i filled it up. took the cap back off and centered the gasket and everything was fine. hope this helps

·
Registered
244 Posts
mine does the same thing but only when I fill it to the top, about a 1/2 inch below the very top. I guess I can't fill it up into the filler neck, because once it gets just below that there is no problem.

·
Registered
102 Posts
AS catch96 said, pay close attention to gasket. It sees to kink awful easy. I had a few leaks, but as long as check gasket Im ok.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My buddy's F7 was spilling gas all the time. Turns out, there was no rubber o-ring in the cap. The o-ring probably has something to do with it. Maybe get a new gas cap from your dealer. Thats what he did, no more gas leakage problems.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I had this problem on an old Polaris I finally relized that I had tightened the cap too much and cracked the plastic threads on the filler neck I ended up cutting the neck where the crack was problem solved.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Originally posted by marks-cat@Feb 16 2003, 07:59 PM
This cap is crap. Way to big. Very hary to get off when your hands are sore from riding hard.
way handier though when filling with a jerry can, or fishing for smart valves :p

·
Registered
395 Posts
Originally posted by The Outdoor Shop@Feb 16 2003, 04:11 PM
Tighten it a touch more.. Happened to me also. I hate tightening it too much.. pain to get off.
same for me, just had to tighten a bit more. <_<

1 - 16 of 16 Posts