Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 thundercat and the gas gauge does not work. Just wondering if anybody is aware of any common failures with them before I spend a bunch of time figuring out whats wrong with it...

·
The Meat Man
15,749 Posts
I have a 2002 thundercat and the gas gauge does not work. Just wondering if anybody is aware of any common failures with them before I spend a bunch of time figuring out whats wrong with it...
Try taking a coat hanger and reach down in the tank with the hanger and giggle the float see if that helps it maybe stuck..:bc:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I hope it's just something simple......but I've had 2 Pantera EFI's (01 & 02)that gave me an issue with the wire harness out of the tank. I'm attaching a couple pics of what was going on with them. Now, in your case...(I also have an 02' T-Cat), we don't have EFI so fuel pump is not an issue. But the first think i noticed on my Panteras' was the fuel gauge stopped working, then I got intermittent fuel as it got worse and of course once the fuel stopped flowing was when I went to trouble shoot and found the whole problem.

On the top of the fuel tank, under the cowling around the steering post is a wire harness that goes into the tank. These wires become cut from turning back and forth over the seasons. I was able to splice these wires. I initially called on pricing but had to purchase a whole new fuel pump and so I got a piece of rubber hose and put new wires through the hole in the top capinstead. It's a cast piece that cannot be ordred.

Hope you have something simple. But if it's a cut wire and you need more options let me know and I'll walk you through it if you need to.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Sometimes the fuel pick up line will lay on top of the float arm and not allow it to float to the top of the fuel tank. If you have power to the gauge but it is not registering this might be your issue.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies so far, unfortunately its not as simple as the pickup laying on the float(would have been nice). Somebody has already been there and butchered the wiring:wall: What I have is one brown wire and one gray wire coming from the sending unit to a plug in which one gray and two brown wires come out. The two brown wires are twisted together with a butt connector crimped on and attatched to nothing, just hanging there. I belive the gray wire is connected to the gauge, but its hard to tell in the rats nest of wiring thats there. I didnt have the time to get into pulling the wiring apart and cleaning up the mess.( I will sooner or later, but I get the feeling its going to take up the better part of a day to get it sorted out...) The gauge lights up so Im assuming it has power...

I guess what Im wondering is if anybody knows what the wires from the sending unit go to? I know, I need a wiring diagram. Which reminds me, does anybody have a service manual for an 02 T cat? I went to the local cat dealer to order one, and apparently there are 2 volumes and they are $137 each... They couldnt tell me what the 2 volumes were, but a manual for a 98 t cat is $48. Maybe im missing something here, but as far as I know, the only difference between the two as far as service info goes is that mine has reverse and an electric fuel gauge.... So that justifies two volumes and $230 more? I dont get it. Anyways, thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far, unfortunately its not as simple as the pickup laying on the float(would have been nice). Somebody has already been there and butchered the wiring:wall: What I have is one brown wire and one gray wire coming from the sending unit to a plug in which one gray and two brown wires come out. The two brown wires are twisted together with a butt connector crimped on and attatched to nothing, just hanging there. I belive the gray wire is connected to the gauge, but its hard to tell in the rats nest of wiring thats there. I didnt have the time to get into pulling the wiring apart and cleaning up the mess.( I will sooner or later, but I get the feeling its going to take up the better part of a day to get it sorted out...) The gauge lights up so Im assuming it has power...

I guess what Im wondering is if anybody knows what the wires from the sending unit go to? I know, I need a wiring diagram. Which reminds me, does anybody have a service manual for an 02 T cat? I went to the local cat dealer to order one, and apparently there are 2 volumes and they are $137 each... They couldnt tell me what the 2 volumes were, but a manual for a 98 t cat is $48. Maybe im missing something here, but as far as I know, the only difference between the two as far as service info goes is that mine has reverse and an electric fuel gauge.... So that justifies two volumes and $230 more? I dont get it. Anyways, thanks for the help so far.

You don't want to buy a manual. I have one for the 2002 T-Cat on CD and downloaded it onto my computer. Got it for like 5.99 on ebay. I will open my T-Cat up and take some pics of what it looks like fo ryou if you want. I just need to get into my storage trailer.

I could send you the CD if you want as I dont' need it anymore.

·
Registered
937 Posts
From 2002 service manual

This is right outof the service manual for the gauge itself

Testing Fuel Gauge
1. Disconnect the fuel gauge from the hood wiring
harness.
2. Connect the positive lead of a 12-volt power
supply to the yellow wire and the negative lead of
the 12-volt power supply to the brown wire.
3. The fuel gauge needle should peg in the negative
(empty) direction.
4. With the fuel gauge still connected to the 12-volt
power supply (from step 2), install a jumper wire
(such as a paper clip) between the brown wire and
the gray wire.
5. The fuel gauge needle should peg in the positive
(full) direction.
?NOTE: A fuel gauge failing these testing procedures
is defective and must be replaced.

Testing
Fuel Gauge Sender
1. Remove the hardware securing the console to the
fuel tank and frame; then move the console out of
the way.
2. Disconnect the fuel gauge sender unit (black twowire
connector) from the main wiring harness.
3. Connect the ohmmeter leads to the two sender
wires.
4. Compare the reading to the chart following.
Fuel Gauge Sender
Position Ohms
Full 4-6
1/2 37.6-56.4
Empty 76-114

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a complete wiring harness and fuel and temp guage if you find you need one.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help so far guys. I havent gotten to it yet but I should be able to work on it a little bit this weekend.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
On mine it was the float cracked where the arm mounts.Jb and a small washer has it working but I know the extra weight will make it read low.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts