Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced gas leaking out the cap on newer ZRs/ZLs? I am getting a little gas down the outside of my tank when riding hard with full tank. Not sure if it's the o-ring or vent? Marc

·
Registered
76 Posts
No leaking with mine TA. But that large cap can be a real pain to open sometimes! It usually takes two hands to open that bad boy. I only close it hand tight. (one handed)

Has yours always leaked? Dumb question, but are you certain it wasn't cross threaded?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought it late last season, but no problems until this year. I had filled it to the neck at first and thought that was the problem...but then it did it after I drained some off too. I believe the rubber o-ring comes out. It may not be seated properly...Marc

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
I had my tank off this summer and I found the overflow spout very loose, I took it off and put some sealer on it. I haven't had a problem at all... but I can see that that may have caused one this year...

Ice

·
Registered
40 Posts
Theres a New Gasket you can can get for those of US that have 2001 Zr's that ARE HARD AS YOU KNOW WHAT TO OPEN.

just order the 2002 Gasket for the Gas Cap!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
There was a tool made by Powermadd( I think) that made the cap easier to grab. My wife cant get her hand around the gas cap to open it without it. I got it at the Novi show in 01. I look at it tonight and see who makes it and a part # if it is on there. It looks like one of those thing the oldsters use to open Mason jars only Black plastic.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
my cap does not leak but i noticed it seems to screw on tight and not all the way down my sled is a 02 zl-500 i think the oring is shrunk and it needs some lubricant to loosen it up

·
Registered
340 Posts
Have 2001 ZL600EFI. Brought back to dealer because of leak from EFI pump cap area. Dealer said there was a history of problems w/ some tanks. He ordered me a new tank and the leaking has stopped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts