Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello RWS

I heard your the man when it comes to gps issues. I have two questions. #1 I ride in the up do you have a map available for garmin 76 - it does not have a memory card. What is on the map? Also how do I get a copy if available.

#2 Also I would like to hook up this unit to my 06 cf7. I had it installed on my zr which had electric start which was easy to set up for power since it had battery. What do I need to do to get power from my cf to the garmin unit. To complicate things I use the accessory plug - brown wire- by the steering post for my electric face shield on my helmet. So if possible I would like to be able to use both if that is possible.

Thanks

Bryan Olsick

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Hello RWS

I heard your the man when it comes to gps issues. I have two questions. #1 I ride in the up do you have a map available for garmin 76 - it does not have a memory card. What is on the map? Also how do I get a copy if available.

#2 Also I would like to hook up this unit to my 06 cf7. I had it installed on my zr which had electric start which was easy to set up for power since it had battery. What do I need to do to get power from my cf to the garmin unit. To complicate things I use the accessory plug - brown wire- by the steering post for my electric face shield on my helmet. So if possible I would like to be able to use both if that is possible.

Thanks

Bryan Olsick[/b]
Maps

Download and open the zip file...double click the .exe file...this will install the map into Mapsource...from the dropdown list in Mapsource select the MI UP Snowmobile Trails...click the trail map with the Map Tool...(if you want to also install maps from Topo, Roads and Rec, City Select etc go back to the dropdown list and select it...use the Map Tool to select the additional maps...) then click the Send to Device icon...when it recognizes your GPSr click Send...all maps will now be uploaded to your GPSr....the Garmin detailed maps will show through the transparent trail map. If you have limited memory you will not have any problem loading the trail maps, but you will have to watch how many detailed maps you upload with the trail maps.

MI UP Trail Map

Grayling / Gaylord Area Trail Map

Cadillac Area Trail Map

12v dc power

You can use a splitter on your accessory plug and use any of the following to get 12v dc

Polrais 12v DC Adapter

Snobunje 1075 ELECTRONIC ACCESSORIES POWER CELL

Touratech power converters

Email this guy for custom built rectifier/regulator
[email protected]

Make your own rectifier/regulator

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
where would I get a splitter - also I was thinking on going the snowbunje route what do you think?[/b]
Arctic Cat Accessory Adapter (splitter)
Part #
1639-623 2-outlet
1639-624 3-outlet

the Snowbunje should work just fine

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok stupid question

I tried to install the mapsource topo cds on my computer. It installed the ist one 1 of 3 but when I put thre 2nd cd in (eastern) which is the one I need it does not install on computer. In other words the only way of viwing this section is inserting the cd.

I was was able to see your up map overlay in the drop down - but how do I get the overlay onto the eastern map?

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Ok stupid question

I tried to install the mapsource topo cds on my computer. It installed the ist one 1 of 3 but when I put thre 2nd cd in (eastern) which is the one I need it does not install on computer. In other words the only way of viwing this section is inserting the cd.

I was was able to see your up map overlay in the drop down - but how do I get the overlay onto the eastern map?[/b]

uninstall map source. Then load the CD but don't autorun. Open the CD drive in My Computer and copy the entire Garmin disk onto your hard drive including the needed topo disks. THen install it off the hard drive. I had to do that so it could be used on 2 computers.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Ok stupid question

I was was able to see your up map overlay in the drop down - but how do I get the overlay onto the eastern map?[/b]

do like legend 700 said...but do this step first

Uninstall MapSource Product using the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel
Reboot your computer
Click the Start button
Click Run
Type regedit
Click OK
A window will open called Registry Editor
Backup (Export) your registry
Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Expand Software
Right click on Garmin
Click on Delete in the menu that pops up
Click on Yes
Reboot your computer
Now create a folder (Garmin Topo sounds nice) on your harddrive and copy the Topo cd's to it and click the Setup.exe to install
You'll need to reinstall the UP trail maps again too
Follow the directions I gave you above to get the trail map and Topo maps uploaded to your GPSr

·
Registered
223 Posts
Here are some instruction I found on the internet a few years age. This is what I have done on my machine for running Mapsource without the hassel of carring the CD's. It works great.

"The whole idea for this is to have the Mapsource Program path/direct itself to the hard drive folder where you put the image files instead of the CD-ROM.
If you are running 2 different Mapsource Programs like US R&R and TOPO you can switch between them by going to the SELECT A REGION pull down box and not have to change CD's.
I Have US R&R, US Waterways, Worldmap and did this and I do not have to use the CD's anymore. I bet this would be great for the folks who use a laptop and don't want to carry CD's with them.

Here is how I did it.

STEP #1 COPY IMAGE FILE FOLDER
1-insert Mapsource CD into CD-ROM tray
2-explore Mapsource CD
3-find the Images folder such as Rr_us(US R&R) (very large file folder size)
4-copy that Images folder to C:/ProgramFiles/Garmin/Mapsource folder, which is where the program installs it self automaticlly when you installed it the first time.

STEP#2 using REGEDIT

IMPORTANT MAKE A NOTE OF WHAT YOU CHANGES YOU MAKE. SO IF YOU MAKE A MISTAKE YOU CAN GO BACK AN FIX IT.

1-Open My computer
C:/Windows/Regedit
open Regedit
2-goto My Computer(at the top left side column in Regedit Editor)
3-D-click
-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
-Software
-Garmin
-Mapsource
-Products
4-Open up the folder for whatever Mapsource Product you have installed such as 1 for ContUS for US R&R

5- D-click "Loc" item under Name column,
6- Change to the "Value data" to where you copied the image folder. Such as C:\Program Files\Garmin\Mapsource\RR_US
click OK

STEP #3 TRYING IT OUT
1- remove CD-ROM from tray.
2- start Mapsource program
3- turn details on and zoom all the way in and the program should not prompt you to put the Mapsource CD in the tray.

Why does it do this? Well because you just added the images to the hard drive and told the program not to look for the Images on the CD-ROM.

Repeat for other Mapsource Programs you have."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts