Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this for Christmas and the functions are a little overwhelming! I have looked at many other posts concerning the use of a GPS which have been very helpful. I have a few direct questions for anybody who can answer:
1. Can I put the GPS in my coat and have it still work when I am riding? I will not have it mounted on sled for quite some time.
2. I have the topo maps that came with the unit, but I was wondering if snowmobile trail routes are available like interstate routes?

Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just got this for Christmas and the functions are a little overwhelming! I have looked at many other posts concerning the use of a GPS which have been very helpful. I have a few direct questions for anybody who can answer:
1. Can I put the GPS in my coat and have it still work when I am riding? I will not have it mounted on sled for quite some time.
2. I have the topo maps that came with the unit, but I was wondering if snowmobile trail routes are available like interstate routes?

Thanks[/b]
Yes, it should work fine in your coat. But much less convenient. You should mount it on the sled ASAP..... you'll be much happier w/ it!!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts

Thanks[/b]
Answer to one is Yes but much easier to use while riding when mounted.
For number 2 since you are Michigan, the trail systems are not on the topo maps, however ocassionally the trails will show up. Just leave the tracking on and you will create the trail. Typically batteries will last 12-16 hours.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I also have a Legend but without the color screen. It generally will work in your pocket but every once in a while it will loose signal. Try lithium batteries; I find they last much longer and are not effected by the cold. Have fun with it, it's a great little unit.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I recommend using the lithium batteries in your gps. They are good to -40F, and last three times as long as the standard alkaline battery. Out in the middle of no-where is not the place to lose the batteries.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
If your new GPS is close to the size of my regular E-Trex I stick it in my key pocket on the sleve of my jacket. I have 3 different GPS units at any time and I would never mount one to my sled. Way to much pounding in the bumps, rain and it might get crushed on a roll over (have not had one of them in 4 years but it could happen). I got a sweet helmet cam in Sept. and I am still trying to figure out where to put the 1800.00 DV cam to record with. I would never mount anything but hand guards to my sled.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
If your new GPS is close to the size of my regular E-Trex I stick it in my key pocket on the sleve of my jacket. I have 3 different GPS units at any time and I would never mount one to my sled. Way to much pounding in the bumps, rain and it might get crushed on a roll over (have not had one of them in 4 years but it could happen). I got a sweet helmet cam in Sept. and I am still trying to figure out where to put the 1800.00 DV cam to record with. I would never mount anything but hand guards to my sled.[/b]

munted to a ram mount it comes off in a few seconds and no issues with rollovers, mine actually a bit below my handlebars and in a roll would bend over behind the console. Units are also weatherproof, I've left mine on at camp and come out with it buries in snow, no big deal brush it offand turn it on. Mounted is way easier than in the pocket. For the DV camera put it in a backpack inside a padded case.

I'll echo someones comments on litium batteries, if you can't mount to the sled lithium is the only way to go.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
munted to a ram mount it comes off in a few seconds and no issues with rollovers, mine actually a bit below my handlebars and in a roll would bend over behind the console. Units are also weatherproof, I've left mine on at camp and come out with it buries in snow, no big deal brush it offand turn it on. Mounted is way easier than in the pocket. For the DV camera put it in a backpack inside a padded case.

I'll echo someones comments on litium batteries, if you can't mount to the sled lithium is the only way to go.[/b]

I did buy the backpack for using the helmet cam when riding the motorcycle (camelback trailblazer). I was going to use it for snowmobiling also. The new outfit I have is an Arctiva and it's bulky so I look like the Michelin Man in black. If I was to use my backpack it would be even worse. I got the Yamaha handle bar bag yesterday and If I can get enough padding in there it might be ok (I drive the Apex much nicer than the SXR). I am also thinking of putting the DVCAM in my jacket and the helmet cam power suppy in the bar bag. I will have to play with it and see what is the most comfortable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.