Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 800, 2019 Indy 850, 2011 IQ Turbo
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been slowly going through mine since I passed the 10K mile mark. At times, I was getting a little noise from the chain on the wear pad inside the case, so I opened up the chaincase for inspection. The chain tension seemed OK, but in the process of pulling and tugging, found some play in the upper bearing. Ok, guessed the bearing would need replaced. I got the chaincase on the bench and discovered the bearing was fine, but the upper hub assy was floating around in the case itself. Since it was loose in the case, it was allowing extra slack in the chain under certain conditions. It was also putting pressure on the bushings inside the hub, causing wear on the bushings. Continuing disassembly, I found the lower bearing loose in the case also. So, new case and rebuilding the upper hub assembly. No, the easy way out isn't just to replace the hub assembly as a unit - its $400+. So, I've identified the bushings inside the hub as Garlock 16DU16 (1" bore, 1" long) and the seal is available from Polaris. Will install fresh bushings and a new seal, put everything back in the new case and I'll be back in business.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
appreciate the info - About what mileage did you start noticing this? Hows taking apart the chaincase? I heard it's not easy?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
appreciate the info - About what mileage did you start noticing this? Hows taking apart the chaincase? I heard it's not easy?
The noise wasn't something that was always there - would only show up once in a while and only briefly during braking. I've been poking for the reason for a couple seasons, so in the area of 9K miles and later. Ifinally got motivated enough to just tear everything apart. As far as taking the chaincase apart, its easy to take apart. Putting it back together is the PITA. Most of the hassle is dealing with getting all the parts related to the mechanical reverse back in the right places when you put the cover back on. Now that I've done it a couple times, it isn't that bad. It did take me quite a while when I tried the first time - kept dropping parts trying to get the cover back on!

·
Registered
328 Posts
The noise wasn't something that was always there - would only show up once in a while and only briefly during braking. I've been poking for the reason for a couple seasons, so in the area of 9K miles and later. Ifinally got motivated enough to just tear everything apart. As far as taking the chaincase apart, its easy to take apart. Putting it back together is the PITA. Most of the hassle is dealing with getting all the parts related to the mechanical reverse back in the right places when you put the cover back on. Now that I've done it a couple times, it isn't that bad. It did take me quite a while when I tried the first time - kept dropping parts trying to get the cover back on!
Mine has 3500km on it and is making a grinding like noise, im hoping its drive shaft bearing but thanks for the info. Did you take any pictures of it open by any chance?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't take any pics during the process, sorry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts